Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spaethco
    as companies like FDC Servers will still suspend your server for unreasonable runaway usage.
    such statement is incorrect and defamatory. As far as I can remember we never suspended anyone for unreasonable runaway usage.
    Our policy to inform the customer in case of abusive bandwidth usage and offer them

# lower their bandwidth usage
    # upgrade to dedicated bandwidth
    # upgrade to gigabit unmetered

in worst case scenario if the customer is unresponsive we cap the port to 10Mbit until the situation is resolved.
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations
    10Gbps & 100Gbps IP transit in hundreds of locations at best market price
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bummer6666
    such statement is incorrect and defamatory. As far as I can remember we never suspended anyone for unreasonable runaway usage.
    I didn't intend it to be a slam on your business, Petr, and I still think my statement is correct in the context of this thread (exploited servers). You're not asserting that servers launching multi-megabit DoS attacks will be extended the opportunity to upgrade to gigabit unmetered, right?

In retrospect my statement probably should have been further qualified with: "...as companies like FDC Servers will still suspend your server for unreasonable runaway usage resulting from a hack/exploit." (the underlying premise being the traffic is probably not legal or harmless)
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco

In retrospect my statement probably should have been further qualified with: "...as companies like FDC Servers will still suspend your server for unreasonable runaway usage resulting from a hack/exploit." (the underlying premise being the traffic is probably not legal or harmless)

yes I am onboard with that :-) , thank you
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations
    10Gbps & 100Gbps IP transit in hundreds of locations at best market price
      0 Not allowed!

ev1servers usually email you when you get closer to consume your allocated bandwidth %

why LT didnt have such a thing?
      0 Not allowed!

just got an email back for LT's invoice department, i have to pay for it .

I am sorry to hear that.
      0 Not allowed!

That sux. How much extra for the 2.7T overage?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by steve_c
    That sux. How much extra for the 2.7T overage?
    I believe they charge $0.75 per GB overage.

So, about $2025 plus his monthly statement for his server.
    VPSHelp - Coming soon to a newbie near you.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CEngine
    I believe they charge $0.75 per GB overage.

So, about $2025 plus his monthly statement for his server.
    holy cow, at that rate, isn't a dedicated unmetered 100mbps connection cheaper?
    Last edited by steve_c; 01-26-2007 at 07:04 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Based on your CPanel usage stats it looks like you are correct as far as not using more than 300GB of bandwidth - KNOWINGLY. You probably have an infected machine that is sending out DDoS, and that wouldn't show in CPanel, but it would show on your MRTG. I think it is very irresponsible for LT to let one of their customers send out a DDoS attack, especially for that period of time. They should be monitoring that and notify you, not as a courtesy regarding your usage, but as a response to a violation of their AUP (I hope sending outbound ddos is against their AUP).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRaul
    I honestly wish that Cpanel would either integrate a proper bandwith tool or just turn this one off. There are so many people thrown off by that. Think of the average user, they don't understand the difference until its too late. I wish it could be turned off of augmented.

Maybe some enterprising soul should do a mrtg addon for cpanel?
    If you have been reading all the posts here, you'll realize cPanel has done this, or at least provided the addon to do so.
      0 Not allowed!

USE BANDMIN. That will tell you exactly how much bandwith has been used. This compinsates the the Cpanel account, Updates. Everything the server transfers it is logged here.

Login to WHM. then scroll down to Service Configuration. under that you will see bandmin. At the top of the screen it will say "Change Bandmin User/Password" you will notice that the world "Bandmin" is linked. Click on it to see your bandwidth information.
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/
      0 Not allowed!

now thats NOT cheap.
      0 Not allowed!

If you have somehow used that much, they should cut you some slake. How much bandwidth is allowed to be used on your server?
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mj4589
    Based on your CPanel usage stats it looks like you are correct as far as not using more than 300GB of bandwidth - KNOWINGLY. You probably have an infected machine that is sending out DDoS, and that wouldn't show in CPanel, but it would show on your MRTG. I think it is very irresponsible for LT to let one of their customers send out a DDoS attack, especially for that period of time. They should be monitoring that and notify you, not as a courtesy regarding your usage, but as a response to a violation of their AUP (I hope sending outbound ddos is against their AUP).
    Who said it was a DDOS attack? I'm sure an exploiter could/would setup maybe lighttpd on a seperate port and upload warez or something.
    Hello
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tailseh
    Who said it was a DDOS attack? I'm sure an exploiter could/would setup maybe lighttpd on a seperate port and upload warez or something.
    I'm not necessarily sure it was that either. The symmetrical up/download rates screams BitTorrent to me, could have been someone loading something like TorrentFlux onto the server.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."
      0 Not allowed!

Try bandmin
      0 Not allowed!

I think that LT should probably cut you some slack on their part. It seems pretty obvious that it wasn't your doing, and they most likely don't pay per GB anyway. Especially if the overage costs are as high as some of the people are suggesting...it just seems a little unrealistic for LT to expect that.
    Joe Cooter - <jcooter(at)sliqua.com>
    Executive Vice President - Sliqua Enterprise Hosting, Inc.
    1-877-4SLIQUA - http://www.sliqua.com - http://www.isyourmissioncritical.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jcooter-sliqua
    I think that LT should probably cut you some slack on their part. It seems pretty obvious that it wasn't your doing, and they most likely don't pay per GB anyway. Especially if the overage costs are as high as some of the people are suggesting...it just seems a little unrealistic for LT to expect that.
    Here's something to think about:

They provide you a server that you pay for. (A server which is advertised as unmanaged) You take the server, and put it on the internet unsecured, and open to threats and virus's.

Your server becomes comprimised, by insecurities found in unupgraded scripts on your server. And this causes it to begin using ALOT of bandwidth, which you didn't pay to use.

I see two things wrong.

1. His server was not secured properly, no matter how his computer became comprimised, whether it was a script or not doesn't matter, it's the fact it got comprimised, when it could have been avoided.

2. He was not properly monitoring his server, and was not properly using the methods that were supplied to him by layeredtech in order to keep an eye on his bandwidth stats.

Why should a company pay for your mistake.. When you paid for a server that the company advertised as unmanaged and fresh.. But didn't spend the money to get decent security done on it?

I say, he needs to pay what he owes, and use it as a lesson. It's not like someone skipped the bill on him which caused him to be late on payment. He used a CONSIDERABLE amount of bandwidth.
      0 Not allowed!

They certainly have the RIGHT to ask for that money. However, they arguably did not lose anything with that bandwidth usage, as they *should* have enough bandwidth to cover his usage...and while it is his fault that his server was compromised, there is something to be said for cutting a customer a break to have them think highly of you. Maybe they shouldn't just forget it ever happened, but reduce it a little. Not because they have to, but because that would be the nice thing to do, and the favor would most likely not go unreturned. Would you rather keep a customer for a long time by forgiving some of their debt, or charge them out of existence so they can't continue to host with you?
      0 Not allowed!

They certainly have the RIGHT to ask for that money. However, they arguably did not lose anything with that bandwidth usage, as they *should* have enough bandwidth to cover his usage...and while it is his fault that his server was compromised, there is something to be said for cutting a customer a break to have them think highly of you. Maybe they shouldn't just forget it ever happened, but reduce it a little. Not because they have to, but because that would be the nice thing to do, and the favor would most likely not go unreturned. Would you rather keep a customer for a long time by forgiving some of their debt, or charge them out of existence so they can't continue to host with you?
    Though you are right, I'm pretty sure LT will choose the latter ("charge them out of existence so they can't continue to host with you").

They have enough customers and they wont care if one of them is debt ridden and troubled.

^^^^^^^^Hopefully they are not thinking like above^^^^^^^^^^
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com
      0 Not allowed!

They'll let him make payments on it, if he arranges that. It's not like they're going to put a mob hit out on him if he doesn't pay in full (though Todd does scare me some times. )

It'd be nice, in a perfect world, if companies helped the middleman, but in todays market, (you should know this by now, if you really ARE who you say you are with that "company" in your signature), money is money. Sometimes you've got to have something to fall back on when times get hard, and for companies like LT, who have multi-homed lines of transport.. Times are tough.
      0 Not allowed!

I understand what you're saying...I would probably do the same thing. I'm more just rambling about utopian values than actually making any sort of statement...it IS 2am here
      0 Not allowed!

Try BANDMIN. You could be having all this discussion because of a a techniqucal fault with LT.
      0 Not allowed!

This happened to me with Staminus actually..I used like 2.7 TB of bandwidth and I just ended up leaving, coulden't pay it.

Anyways, if your server is linux/BSD, try "bandwidthd". It will monitor and tell you the usuage of EACH ip with graphs.
    K. Gato
    KJServers Systems Administrator
    www.KJServers.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IG-Kyle
    This happened to me with Staminus actually..I used like 2.7 TB of bandwidth and I just ended up leaving, coulden't pay it.
    Did you ever pay the bill?

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast