Internet Explorer rated one of worst products ever

IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

I find PC World to be a magazine primarily read by those of the AOL hold my hand generation. I find using IE6, updating every few months as you should do with all software, I get no viruses/spyware and since SP2 popups are at an all time low.

IE recieves such a bad rap because of it's users, when you have such a large variety of uninformed, I'll click on anything users, you're bound to have some issues.

Besides all that, IE6 is the worst browser on the planet, technically. See my links. And IE7 is not much better.
    But it works in IE!

Quote Originally Posted by Nunim
    I find PC World to be a magazine primarily read by those of the AOL hold my hand generation. I find using IE6, updating every few months as you should do with all software, I get no viruses/spyware and since SP2 popups are at an all time low.

IE recieves such a bad rap because of it's users, when you have such a large variety of uninformed, I'll click on anything users, you're bound to have some issues.
    But there must be a reason that most experienced give up IE for what they find to be superior browsers. Personally, I find IE to be one of the crappiest browsers I have used.
    Patrick Kautz - Galaxy-Solutions, LLC
    Quality dedicated servers at an affordable price (http://galaxy-solutions.net)
    Out of this world hosting at down to earth prices (http://galaxy-hosts.com)

HAHA, if i rate the PC world Magazine as the worst tech magazine in the world will they accept it. Microsoft has done so much to the society and still people say that they are not good. I would say that most of them today what they are ( any position towards communication field) is because of Microsoft products. I can damm sure say 95% and above.

Since they are a lot of attacks mainly for IE , they are attacked easily. The same case could happen to any browser. you cannot argue that Firefox is secure than IE or the same.

Since they are a lot of attacks mainly for IE , they are attacked easily. The same case could happen to any browser. you cannot argue that Firefox is secure than IE or the same.
    Studies have found this not to be true. In the book "The Success of Open Source", for example, the author says software like Firefox is less likely to receive attacks because it is created by the collective "we".

And yes, you can argue that Firefox is more secure. Secunia reports almost five times as many security vulnerabilities in IE than Firefox.
    But it works in IE!

Quote Originally Posted by Biju
    I think most educated people understand this....

I think M$ did fumble the entire "tie IE into Windows" deal... that was not a good idea from a security POV. They have corrected this with Vista and IE7, so we will see what great ideas the hackers have now....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy-Hosts
    But there must be a reason that most experienced give up IE for what they find to be superior browsers. Personally, I find IE to be one of the crappiest browsers I have used.
    Well this all depends on what your expecting from a browser, I do not want something with all the junk that FireFox comes with, if I did I would certainly use Opera. I like IE because it's exactly what I want, something barebones that browses the internet, I don't want it to check my mail and get my stocks for me, it's not it's job.

If you want a browser with a lot of options I would highly recommend Opera, it's widgets are simply fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    And yes, you can argue that Firefox is more secure. Secunia reports almost five times as many security vulnerabilities in IE than Firefox.
    Well if you were writing a virus or exploit you would want to target the widest market, not the niche. Macs aren't that much more secure, just less popular.

I do not want something with all the junk that FireFox comes with
    What junk? Do you mean this:
    I don't want it to check my mail and get my stocks for me, it's not it's job.
    Why do you think this comes with Firefox? You can get that with extensions if you wish but they are add-ons and not automatically included.
    If you want a browser with a lot of options I would highly recommend Opera, it's widgets are simply fantastic.
    I'm not familiar with all of Opera's widgets, and I agree it's an excellent browser, but why do you think the same thing is not available on Firefox?
    Well if you were writing a virus or exploit you would want to target the widest market, not the niche.
    That depends on your target.
    Macs aren't that much more secure, just less popular.
    Maybe they are more secure. Mac is based on FreeBSD and Mach, which are Unix. I think Unix is more secure than Windows.
    But it works in IE!

I have never seen a report by an independant security analyst/group that has concluded that IE is anywhere near the most secure browser. There might be one out there, but for every one with that opinion I am sure there are fifty to contradict it.
    Patrick Kautz - Galaxy-Solutions, LLC
    Quality dedicated servers at an affordable price (http://galaxy-solutions.net)
    Out of this world hosting at down to earth prices (http://galaxy-hosts.com)

I have never seen a report by an independant security analyst/group that has concluded that IE is anywhere near the most secure browser. There might be one out there, but for every one with that opinion I am sure there are fifty to contradict it.
    I'm not making this claim, but what I am saying is user error is usually at fault for any problems, not the software itself.

As for firefox, it's more bloated thus using more resources, is prone to crash(although I suppose IE crashes a fair amount as well) and I'm not a fan of tabs(old habits die hard).

As for firefox, it's more bloated thus using more resources
    The Firefox program is only a Mb or so bigger than IE and about the same as Opera. Or do you mean the supposed memory usage. That is the cache FF will use if the memory is available to cache web pages. If other programs need it, it gives it up. It only grabs available memory and doesn't take memory away from anything else.
    and I'm not a fan of tabs
    Now that IE, FF and Opera all have tabs, what are you going to do? You can turn tabs off in Firefox, btw.
    But it works in IE!

Now that IE, FF and Opera all have tabs, what are you going to do? You can turn tabs off in Firefox, btw.
    Keep using IE 6

You can turn off tabs in ie 7 which is the first thing I did because it's tab system was horrid. You'd think they could have spent a couple hundred bucks to pay someone to make the tabs aesthetically pleasing

Because most of the people do not like microsoft. they would say microsoft is a crap and their product is not secure and yet use their product. why do not you try other products. Microsoft is everything and i wont say at any point that any product is secure or not secure. it totally depends upon you.

I personally use IE and firefox in my system, i too like firefox but would not compare it with IE.

I find using IE6, updating every few months as you should do with all software, I get no viruses/spyware
    Neither do I.

You hit the nail, there is nothing more to say.

That depends on your target.
    Maybe, but nonetheless the typical worm's target isnt a HP UX or AIX or LAMP installation but the home workstation of the average user and here IE is the dominant player as Nunim mentioned. Because of that the majority of exploits go for IE.

Maybe they are more secure. Mac is based on FreeBSD and Mach, which are Unix. I think Unix is more secure than Windows.
    Windows might have had less secure default settings up until XP SP2, thats correct. But Unix isnt more secure in any way.
    Sitemeer.com - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● yes, we do HTTPS & IDN!

Its another anti-MS thread. I don't understand why people waste their time even attempting to argue it.

If you don't like it, don't use it -- we don't want to hear about it .

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Its another anti-MS thread. I don't understand why people waste their time even attempting to argue it.

The reason for the posting is two-fold. 1) It is news of a sort and 2) as a web developer, nothing would make my job easier than to see IE go away. Developing web sites is much more difficult due to IEs in ability to display standard code properly. So I have to write standard code that works in all browsers, then spend more of my clients money adjusting working code so that it works in old, buggy non-standard IE (both 6 and 7).

As more people switch to other browsers, Microsoft might fix IE, as they attempted to some degree in IE7, and a developers job will be easier.
    But it works in IE!

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic

Excatly!!!!!

I love IE6!! (With MyIE2 in front)

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Personally, I find IE to be one of the crappiest browsers I have used.
    How many browsers have you used?

The reason this is the case is because IE is more widely used.

If you had a house in a busy city, and another house in the middle of nowhere, and if you put identical doors/windows/locks onto both, which one would get broken into more? The one in the city. But that doesn't mean its locks were inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by mdspencer
    The reason this is the case is because IE is more widely used.

If you had a house in a busy city, and another house in the middle of nowhere, and if you put identical doors/windows/locks onto both, which one would get broken into more? The one in the city. But that doesn't mean its locks were inferior.
    As I've stated here and elsewhere, there are studies showing this is probably not true. In the book, "The Success of Open Source", the author shows that such programs are less likely to be attacked because they are created by the collective "we".
    But it works in IE!

My personal experience with IE has not been all that great but thats just me.

probably not true
    Probably?

Firstly, the argument isn't that no one would hack it, it's regarding the number of security holes it has. So who cares if no one wants to hack it, it still has holes.

As I've stated here and elsewhere, there are studies showing this is probably not true. In the book, "The Success of Open Source", the author shows that such programs are less likely to be attacked because they are created by the collective "we".
    So the thieves that have no scruples when it comes to stealing/hacking have enough morals not to exploit an open-source program? What drugs was the author on when he wrote that?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

The author listed several studies of universities and security firms in the footnotes. This was not his own study but the conclusion of the research.
    But it works in IE!

Ah, research that flies in the face of common sense. I can just see the conversation between two hackers.

Hacker #1: Awesome! I found an exploit in a web browser and am using it to steal the identities and credit card information of 100,000 people. New Mercedes, here I come!
    Hacker #2: Nice! What web browser???
    Hacker #1: Firefox
    Hacker #2: Not cool man, that's open source
    Hacker #1: Oh, you're right. I'll just go ahead and delete all this. Gotta support open-source!
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V
    Ah, research that flies in the face of common sense. I can just see the conversation between two hackers.

Hacker #1: Awesome! I found an exploit in a web browser and am using it to steal the identities and credit card information of 100,000 people. New Mercedes, here I come!
    Hacker #1: Oh, you're right. I'll just go ahead and delete all this. Gotta support open-source!
    Great way of explaining it.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Here is the book published by Harvard University.

The author:
    Steven Weber is Professor of Political Science, University of California, Berkeley.
    But it works in IE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V

more like:

hacker 1: I'm setting up a script so we can get that Mercedes
    hacker 2: what browser?
    hacker 1: well, my logs showed ie at 80% for our sites.
    hacker 2: cool. Let me see what scripts are available.

I guess it has already become obvious that it would be better to use other browsers. Why would you want to risk your security just to follow a certain stand when you know everybody else says it is the wrong way to go. Go for Mozilla before it's too late.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

IE is definitely the worst product ever!

IE 7 is the definitely the best browser ever made...

Those other candy-az browsers can't match the power of IE 7...

i would agree with all the security vulnerabilities in it. All the stuff they have on it is good in theory but very exploitable. However, i would have to rate IE7 higher on the ranks of worst products as its security flaws are even worse. Let alone they copied firefox like no other. The department of transportation in the states has banned the use of Windows Vista, Office 2007, and IE7 on all their computers because of the security flaws. They are looking for alternatives such as linux.

It's a technical thing mainly. Even forgetting security issues, IE7 can't handle standard code that all other browsers have been able to handle for nine years. It's a product Microsoft themselves even state is not up to the quality of other browsers. When the manufacturer themself says it's not good enough then, guess what, it isn't good enough.
    But it works in IE!

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    It's a product Microsoft themselves even state is not up to the quality of other browsers. When the manufacturer themself says it's not good enough then, guess what, it isn't good enough.
    what cracks me up about that, not you, but how Microsoft said that but yet they have it in their Windows Updates under Express so you download it. Only thing i like is it gives you the option of not installing it or installing it. Other than that they shouldn't release something that isn't secure.

Sometimes Microsoft amazes me.

Quote Originally Posted by HypedHost View Post
    Other than that they shouldn't release something that isn't secure.

Sometimes Microsoft amazes me.
    The same thing could be said about 1000 other companies and products... for the 100th time it is not that products are not secure, it is the fact that if a hacker wants in, he/she will get in. Period.

You guys/gals amaze me...

You act like M$ is the only company that has issues in the security area... hmm... FF has issues (increasing as they get more market share)... Apple (OS 10, itunes), solaris, myspace, etc, etc....

I guess most will dis my post and rejoin the circle-jerk... that is fine... but at least understand the real issue here is not "microsoft" but those az holes killing our products.