Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EuroVPS: Initial Impressions

I have had a bad time recently. First I was with Bliksemhost VPS and they did a vanishing act. Had to explain to customers that all their data/emails etc was lost. How do I tell them that my provider just vanished? Clients arent interested in that so I told them it was a hard drive failure. At the time I quickly had to get another VPS so chose HostMaven based entirely on the review by inogenius here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ight=HostMaven

4 days ago they had a hard drive failure and it took my sites down for more than 3 days. I now had to tell what clients I had left i had another hard drive failure......sounded really convincing too....NOT!

Im sorry, Tyler and company, you guys are nice enough and all but 3 days plus is not acceptable.You had no systems in place to provide uninterrupted service.

But this post is about EuroVPS....

While waiting and waiting and waiting for HostMaven to sort out the crap I researched again and asked this of EuroVPS: If a hard drive fails on my server, do you have daily backups which you could transfer to a new server and how long should this take?

They responded thus ( I had signed up in the meantime out of desparation): If a hard drive fails, nothing happens. You will not be notified either, as there is no reason. We use Dell PowerEdge 6850 servers connected to Dell PowerVault external Ultra320 SCSI storage. The machine which you are on for an example, is a Dell 6850 as above, and is connected to a PV with 14 73gb 15K RPM disks arranged in RAID 10. Result of this is that even if 7 of those 14 drives failed, you would still be online. We do not run single-disk servers as many of the low price competitors do.

Now this is what I want to hear! Since signing up I have had a few minor items I have mailed support about. They have responded quickly and efficiently even in the middle of the night.

I just have a good feeling about them. I hope that the extra money it will be costing me will be well spent. I hope I can now rebuild my business which has all but been ruined by my previous VPS providers. I hope people learn from my mistakes and stop counting pennies when choosing hosting providers and go with the guys who have the systems in place even though they cost more.

To Tyler if you read this: I dont mean to sound harsh but try see it from my p.o.v.

I trust I will be back and telling you great things about EuroVPS in a few months and years time.

Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Result of this is that even if 7 of those 14 drives failed, you would still be online. [B]We do not run single-disk servers as many of the low price competitors do.
    That's not completely accurate. RAID 10 is a stripe of mirrors. Typically, this means each pair of disks act as a mirror of each other, something like this:

RAID10:

Mirror1 = DISK1 <-> DISK2....\
    Mirror2 = DISK3 <-> DISK4.....\
    Mirror3 = DISK5 <-> DISK6......= Striped together
    Mirror4 = DISK7 <-> DISK8...../
    Mirror5 = DISK9 <-> DISK10../

In this 10-disk example, any ONE disk can break in any mirror, for example disks1, 3, 6, 7, 10 could fail, and disk 2, 4, 5, 8, 9 would continue serving the data. However, if any 2 disks fail in the same mirror, the data is lost. Therefore, in this example, a minimum of 1 disk can fail, a maximum of 5, but only assuming the 5 failed disks are from different mirrors. In EuroVPS's case, it's probably setup with 7 x 2 disk mirrors, so they can sustain between 1 (worst case scenario) and 7 (best case scenario) failures depending on the location of the failure in the stripe.

I'm not criticising EuroVPS, they seem to be a solid provider given the feedback I have read on here from them, but I wanted to clarify this potential misunderstanding.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS :: Cloud Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock! UK, USA, Singapore server locations.

Im no expert so Ill have to take yer word on that Cranky. I just get the feeling that EVPS is a level above the others I have used and that these extended outages will be a thing of the past for me.

Yep, sounds good.

Even in the worst-case scenario, they just need to rebuild the mirror by replacing the faulty disk, so it's not a huge issue as long as they're quick at replacing the disks and no extra disk fails while it's not rebuilt.

I'm sure you'll be happy with them.
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock! UK, USA, Singapore server locations.

If 2 disks from within 1 striped/mirror set go on a vacation the whole array is gone

Trick is to know when a disk pops so you can replace it immediately, remember rebuild time on an LSI 320-2X/2E 10 is minimal, and this isn't SATA either.

Thx & regards
    VL
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

unimpressed

I've recently decided to move to europe and decided it might be a good idea to have a mirror for some of my sites on this side of the atlantic. So i went hunting for a VPS. Based on the reviews here I decided to check out EuroVPS. Went thru their site and got a warm fuzzy about their products, services & pricing. So I decided to order one and test it out for a bit to see if they lived up to their marketing.

That's when the problems started.

I click the order now button and got an alert stating that the SSL certificate authority was unrecognised. Odd, so I looked at it. Seeemed okay so i figured it's just a bad configuration. Never the less, I'm not sticking my credit card on a bad cert. So I dropped their sales staff a note tell them there was a problem with it and that I'd rather not use the system until it was fixed. You would think a hosting company ought to know how to do that right? Apparently not.

The first response was that it was fine and i should just trust it. Not helpful. So i sent screenshots from Safari AND Firefox to show them the problem.

The second response made me spit coffee on my computer screen...

We advise that you check your Macintosh's root certificate tree, as obviously it has not been updated in ___quite___ some time.

I expect surliness from tech support on occassion, but this kind of nonsense from a sales rep is impressive

I sent an email back thanking them for their effort, but that this kind of response wasn't going to win me over.

The third response made me decide to post here. Cheeky git decided to tell me I was being unprofessional?

Yep, that's sure to make me swoon over their services. I responded that if that was how they dealt with sales, I'd rather not risk dealing with their support. I'd advise anyone else the same.

I disagree strongly. There is nothing wrong with the SSL certificate.

You, on the other hand, are very rude, and we have absolutely no interest, in providing services to you, or anyone, who cannot be respectful. Rude customers, and those who cannot treat another person with respect, have no place here.

Regards,
    Vasili L. / EuroVPS
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam

I can confirm the SSL certificate is fine and works perfectly.

Perhaps your time is set incorrectly, causing the browser to think its out/future dated?

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j
    I can confirm the SSL certificate is fine and works perfectly.

Perhaps your time is set incorrectly, causing the browser to think its out/future dated?
    If that's the case, it would output an error message different to "SSL certificate authority was unrecognised" which the poster said is being received.

It's most likely the root tree as PVPS said.

I have to admit I dealt with EuroVPS about a year ago, and at that time was not able to afford the system I really needed, HOWEVER The professionalism and assistance they offered me was second to none!

I eventually went to JaguarPC who are also extremely good (contrary to some people's posts) but I would have no hesitation in recommending EuroVPS to ANYONE needing European hosting, and if for some reason I ever had to move myself, they WOULD be the first people I went to, I cannot speak any more highly of them than that!

EuroVPS has always been great.
    Vasili knows what he is doing over there, hardware ad support wise.
    As far as the SSL certificate goes, it sounds like you were the only person having problems, as I haven't see any other complaints around here about that.

-Jarrett

Oddly the certificate failed for serveral of my collegues and clients in the US and Czech Republic as well. In any case, it's not the issue. Their attitude was. I pointed out an issue for them, still fully intending to make a purchase. They slagged me off as if I were some dim-witted noob because I use a "Macintosh". Not the way to make a sale. I could have happily moved on to another vendor, without so much as a word, wish I hadn't wasted my time.

I agree with them, on the Macintosh part.
    I kid I kid!
    Well, good luck.

-Jarrett

Been with EuroVPS now for almost a year, and their professionalism and technical expertise is second to none.
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

Wow.
    That is kind of harsh, isnt it PersianImmortal?

-Jarrett

davinitek, are you sure?

There seems to be no problems for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroVPS/Director
    Seconded, see attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

No problems here with Windows + Mozilla Firefox 2 as well.

Look at the attached image.

Your Mac OS X is probably outdated and does not contain the latest SSL providers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ssl.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by EuroVPS/Director

You, on the other hand, are very rude, and we have absolutely no interest, in providing services to you, or anyone, who cannot be respectful. Rude customers, and those who cannot treat another person with respect, have no place here.

Regards,
    Vasili L. / EuroVPS
    Sounds like you are the rude one to me

The person may have been rude in his support tickets.

You cannot blame EuroVPS before understanding the situation.

I won't accept a rude customer personally, makes offering support painful.

Quote Originally Posted by wifiguru
    Wow.
    That is kind of harsh, isnt it PersianImmortal?

-Jarrett
    I'm not sure what you mean, my comment was a compliment to EuroVPS not a criticism. They are the most professional and technically proficient host I've been with, and that's the truth. I've never had a problem they could not solve, usually within a few hours at most, even late at night or early in the morning.

As for the issue of who is being rude here, remember that the original poster of the criticism didn't post what they said, they only posted the reply from EuroVPS which doesn't provide the whole story.
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

From my experience, it seems that Eurovps is a bit confused on what is rude and what is not... I have seen them some times been rude and unpredictable (even in public forums), while some other times they show a much more kind face.

I do not know whether the problem really was the customer's Mac or their website, but it is very far fetched to discard a customer like that.

On the other hand if the customer was really rude, I am sure it is very easy to show the tickets - messages that prove it. So, this can be settled once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    Sounds like you are the rude one to me
    I totally agree with Vasili.
    I know Vasili over there, and knowing him, he is just laying down the line.
    What do you want him to do?
    Kiss your feet and have him treat you like a king?

-Jarrett

congrats

fine kids, you need proof have a peek. Here's the latests versions of firefox on windows XP looking at the cert on EuroVPS... I know it works in IE and have told them as much, however my clients and I insist on cross-platform support and if they can't do that I need to know it as does anybody else out there. If you're a windows only host, say so and stop pretending to sit on all sides. I have Solaris, Linux, AIX, Windows XP, Vista (yes i have MSDN packs) systems and know the difference between a properly installed cert and one that is suspect, I've been doing this longer than EuroVPS has been in business full stop. They might be nice folks, but they are not up to standard as far as I'm concerned. I've already procured other services, but they insist on proving themselves wrong and I'm up for that all day long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 15.png  

The root cert tree is not updated on either machine, if updated, problem would be solved,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ssl-ok.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast