Dude - Wheres my bandwdith?

Hey Everyone,

Quick question for you - we have a home network (as do most these days) but for some reason i am experiancing times throughout the day where our connection can grind to a hault.

What i would like to know is - is there some application that can tell me who is using the bandwidth (by the host PC), what its being used on and how much bandwidth?

Thanks Everyone,

JakReloaded

Do you have a Linksys router? You might check that set-up page. I am pretty sure there are some settings that that you can check / tweak. I know everytime there is an firmware upgrade, my roommate usually has to go in there and change the QOS on the VOIP port

Moved to Computers and Peripherals.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Are you by any chance on a cable connection? It could just be peak usage times where your entire neighborhood is online, and they're saturating the line.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replys - and sorry Tyler!!

We are on a cable connection and what i want to find out is - is the bandwidth being used from our network or outside? Because allot of the family do download and stream files but i would like to know who is doing it and how much they are using up the connection...and yeah we have a linksys router but i cant find anything in there to help =(

Cheers,

JakReloaded

Set up the computer to block all download for a week so that might help your find your answer. If your Internet speed up, then maybe it was coming from your network.

What speed is your connection and how many users do you have connected to it at your house?
    -DPI
    Chicago's #1 Datacenter Technician

Linksys routers usually have logging features.

Go to http://192.168.1.1 and if you haven't logged in before, enter a blank username and the password of admin. Look for a Log section, maybe under the Administration tab (I'm not at home right now so I can't tell for sure). Enable logging, then use a log viewer client like http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/VbNetLinkSysLog.asp or Logviewer.exe directly from Linksys.

It depends highly on what type of connection you have. It is because that there are many users on that certain time that you get a lower bandwidth because you share it more. Simple logic.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>