installing a linksys 10/100 lan card

i have just installed esx server from vmware which as far as i know is a moded version of redhat. i just brought that lan card and put it in. when intsalling the os it seemed to pick it up straight away. and it wanted to use the tulip driver and infact on the driver cd tuplip is given. so i thought it was all well uptill i tried logging in through the browser insterface. it came up with nothing. so i did ifconfig which only showed the lo device. i then did a lsmod tulpis ind it brought up this.

vmnixmod size 3
    mousedev
    hid
    input
    usb-uhci
    usbcore

but no network drive.

im not very good with linuk so im not sure what the interface is called. i tried ifconfig eth0 up but i dont know how to check if its called eth0 or somehting else. their is no gui just a bash.

i then tried netconfig. it worked fine and i restarted the box. it still dident come up.

so i thought maybe the driver wasent installed after all so i went to the cd and got the file off it and when i typed in make i got

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -06 -I/usr/src/linux/include -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -DMODVERSIONS -c -o pci-scan.o pci-scan.c
    pci-scan.c: In function 'init_module':
    pci-scan.c:558: wrning: implicit declaration of fundction 'apm_register_callback'
    pci-scan.c: In function 'cleanup_module':
    pci-scan.c:565: warning : implicit declaration of function 'apm_unregister_callback'
    gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -06 -I/usr/src/linux/include -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -DMODVERSIONS -c -o tulip.o tulip.c
    tulip.c: In function 'tulip_open':
    tulip.c:1488: structure has no member named 'tbusy'
    tulip.c:1489: structure has no member named 'start'
    tulip.c: In function 'tulip_start_xmit':
    tulip.c:2607: structure has no member named 'tbusy'
    tulip.c:2640: structure has no member named 'tbusy'
    tulip.c: In function 'tulip_interrupt':
    tulip.c:2659: structure has no member named 'interrupt'
    tulip.c:2663: structure has no member named 'interrupt'
    tulip.c:2744: structure has no member named 'tbusy'
    tulip.c:2748: structure has no member named 'tbusy'
    tulip.c:2845: structure has no member named 'interrupt'
    tulip.c: In function 'tulip_close':
    tulip.c:2991: structure has no member named 'start'
    tulip.c:2992: structure has no member named 'tbusy'
    tulip.c: In function 'tulip_get-stats':
    tulip.c:3031: structure has no member named 'start'
    tulip.c: In function 'private_ioctl':
    tulip.c:3117: "SIOCSPARAMS' undeclared (first use in this function)
    tulip.c:3117: (Each undeclard identifier is reported only once
    tulip.c:3117: for each function it appears in.)
    tulip.c: In function 'set_rx_mode':
    tulip.c:3303: structure has no member named 'tbusy'
    make: *** [tulip.o] Error 1

so now im stuck. i have no idea on what to do next.

i know this isent the speciality of thsi frum but you have helped me so many times before i thought i should give you a shot at this.

any help will be greatly apriciated.

a bit more info.

i downloaded sme stuff form the tulip site and when i try and install it with the make command i get

make: *** no rule to make target 'pci-scan.h', needed by 'pci-scan.o'.

i dont need that file so i thought if i used the command make tulip i would get something. i got this:

make: *** no rule to make target 'pci-scan.h', needed by 'tulip.o'.

the files are here
    ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network

i think these are the right files anyway.

i mnanaged to install the driver from that website. a small error on my part. but now i cant send data through it. i firstly restered my pc, then i did a ifconfig to see if it was their. then i types in netconfig and set it up using a static private ip. i then rested the netowrk in init.d, i couldent ping my router. somehgting i used to be ale to do on my last linux install. so i set the deive to be set by dhcp, i restarted it again but it still dident work. my router is showing the plug were that pc is pkuged in to be in use but no data trasfer. i tried a diffrent cabel and a diffrent port on my router but it dident work.

any idea what it could be. and please for the love of all thats holy dont say its the driver.