View Poll Results: Do you support EV1/ThePlanet merger?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 22.81%
  • No

32 56.14%
  • Don't Care

12 21.05%

Do you support EV1/ThePlanet merger?

I rarely, if any, start new threads and I think I've waited long enough to see if anyone would start this, guess not.

So ok, its pretty straight forward.

Do you or do you not support EV1/ThePlanet merger?

And please, give your reason.

Thanks .
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

In any merger if the quality of the product/service, customer support, and customer experience increase then I'm in a favor of a merger. If a merger is done just to make 2 big companies GIANTS for the sake of bottom line profit (which more times than not is the reason behind a merger) then I'm against it.

In this case I'm not really sure. I do know that some key people left EV1 after the merger which to me thinks the quality of their products and or services may diminish. I have since moved all of my servers from EV1 to SoftLayer because I know from experiences that mergers usually mean some degraded customer service/support. I noticed that when I went to move my servers EV1/Planet were pretty much useless in answering billing/support questions when I asked them to cancel my servers.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes i would support.

Better product and good support, you can expect more now from them at cheaper prices too.

Quote Originally Posted by WebCinch_Eric
    In any merger if the quality of the product/service, customer support, and customer experience increase then I'm in a favor of a merger. If a merger is done just to make 2 big companies GIANTS for the sake of bottom line profit (which more times than not is the reason behind a merger) then I'm against it.

In this case I'm not really sure. I do know that some key people left EV1 after the merger which to me thinks the quality of their products and or services may diminish. I have since moved all of my servers from EV1 to SoftLayer because I know from experiences that mergers usually mean some degraded customer service/support. I noticed that when I went to move my servers EV1/Planet were pretty much useless in answering billing/support questions when I asked them to cancel my servers.

Just my 2 cents.
    Ah, sorry, I forgot to put a "dont care" option. I knew I was missing something, lol.

If a mod could edit the poll to add a "Dont Care" option, that would be great.

Thanks.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Being a 4 year customer of ThePlanet I originally viewed the merger as a good thing, since ThePlanet was still going to be the primary front for the new business and I had many, many issues with EV1 in the past.

The quality of products did not change for me, since I was not using the cutting edge equipment they offer; however the quality of service did change drasticly. Many normal support issues that used to be resolved within minutes were starting to take 10+ hours just to get the first response, not the actual resolution.

I do believe ThePlanet will make a come-back and rebuild the trust they once had with their customers, but this is the reason I am no longer a customer of theirs.

since the merger i closed up and moved servers due to downtime and poor support

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    I support it -

I havent had a lick of trouble with my servers at EV1/Houston or TP/Dallas.

Sales & Support has been great and we're ordering more servers.

Kindly,
    CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!

Thumbs down

That place has been on a steady downslide ever since the SL guys left them. I would never buy a server from them.

Quote Originally Posted by charmin666
    That place has been on a steady downslide ever since the SL guys left them. I would never buy a server from them.

Valid point..Hence why SoftLayer is rocking right now..especially on the support/customer friendliness side.

with their iminent upgrade to 10GigE links, both internally to the racks, and to their uplink providers via a new 10GigE version of Internaps FCP, the whole network part of it too should soon be top class also.
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    I think TP may be going through some growing pains - the new site was a fine example of that and sure - With growth comes some slow downs while they continue to nail down support.

For those that are able to administer there own servers and dont need TP support it's a great time to be with TP. If you require support to run your servers I can see why this may be a rough time for you.

>10GigE links, both internally to the racks

CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!

10ge is very expensive.

Hopefully the SL management learned their lesson at TP and they don't burn through all the cash like they did. I don't see SL's pricing model as being sustainable with that sort of investment in infrastructure. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we start seeing price increases out of them to maintain their current margains with the investment of 10ge at the access layer

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    10ge is very expensive.

Hopefully the SL management learned their lesson at TP and they don't burn through all the cash like they did. I don't see SL's pricing model as being sustainable with that sort of investment in infrastructure. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we start seeing price increases out of them to maintain their current margains with the investment of 10ge at the access layer
    I think the differences is the market also, before with TP not many people used up their full bandwidth allotment but now people are using double what they used to atleast and also quite a big number are using more than the alloted and are buying extra.

I personally havn't seen as many people buy bandwidth upgrades as I have done with softlayer as the majority are all single sites.

I forgot to add my thoughts on the merger. Being a large customer of both Ev1 and ThePlanet I would say the merger should have been a good thing but at present it's not been thought threw and whilst many of us have to forgive the mistake it's always something that will be remembered as it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Many of the things that happened when they use the name ThePlanet exclusively stunk of sheer incompetence.

It will be surprising if alot of people don't jump ship, many already are and with every right to do so.

-Scott
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

No matter how much stuff is preplanned, they may always be problems popping up during a merger. It's dependent on how well equipped you are to solve it. The Planet & EV1's merger is good in a sense that in a capital intensive industry, size matters. Now we just have to wait and see if they can work together and use their new size to their advantage.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.