Thread: Reformat

Reformat

Hello all,

How often you do all reformat your most used computers (not servers)?

I'm thinking of doing it but it means I have to create a list of programs I'll need to download. Backup all my important documents, bookmarks, mail, game saves, etc.

I want to install Ubuntu after reformatting and have a play with that for a week or so. I won't keep saying it as my main OS as I'm an avid gamer and need Windows so my games continue to work 100%

What's the next best method to reformatting for cleaning your PC of rubbish?

Thanks.
    Sean

I can't think of a time where I've ever had to format a machine I use, unless obviously there was a hardware error requiring a new disk. Or when I install a new OS on my test machine.

As for formatting it, just use whatever system comes with the OS you are going to install. It will probably only be a few clicks.
    Steve

Try partitioning the drive and installing a second OS to that partition. It is possible to have more than one OS on a system and be given a choice at bootup as to whih OS you want to boot from. Best to back up your data anyway as HDD's do fail and then it's gone for good
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

In the past I had to format every six months or so due to testing different software and such. Now since I've installed virtual pc, and I'm not installed tons of crap, my computer is operating like it did when I installed the OS back in June 06.

What I would do is make a screenshot of all your programs you have installed... go to start ---> all programs (win xp) then screenshot all the programs... print, then ensure you have a key for each program (or not a key... but make sure you also have the disks, etc.). Some files that were download only, ensure you have the download.

I would also backup with acronis "just in case."
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Yeah, I have some pretty important work on my Hard drives. I was thinking of RAIDing my two 200GB SATA hard drives and just making them the one 200GB hard drive so ones mirrored.
    I'm looking in to the Ubuntu windows install that someone just made but I don't think it wants to work for me.

Either that or just have one hard drive as Linux and one as Windows I would be great.

I didn't realise you could partition your one hard drive and have two different file types on the two different partitions. Is that correct?
    Sean

Sorry for the double post.

I'm thinking of not reformatting, but defragging the hard drive a few times so it moves the data as close to each other as possible, then going through this to install Ubuntu as a dual boot OS.

My hard drive is 186 GB in capacity so I was thinking:

50 GB Linux
    6 GB Linux Swap
    10 GB FAT32 ( For Transferring Files )
    120 GB Windows

What do you reckon? I have 2 GB of RAM and was told the swap space should be double your RAM but I wanted to be sure
    Sean

I am no linux expert but that sounds more like a max Swap setting than a minimum.. Kind of like page file in windows which should not exceed 1.5 times your physicall RAM .

Dual booting has been around for a while. I think you will find it quite convenient.
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

I don't think it is necessary to reformat often especially if you are using Linux most of the time. (no virus attacks!) But if you mean defragmenting, I believe it could only be good for your system. I regularly defrag mine as I constantly move large volumes of files.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>