Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down DPMS Host out of Biz!

Got a message today from DPMS Host:

From:"DPMS, Inc. Support" <webmaster@dpmshosting.com> DPMS, Inc. System Message:

01/19/2007 05:32 PM
    As some of you may already be aware DPMS Hosting was sold back in December. I am the new owner and it has been a rough start. I am sending out this email to let all of you know that DPMS Hosting will be shutting down its servers.

As some of you may already be aware DPMS Hosting was sold back in December. I am the new owner and it has been a rough start. I am sending out this email to let all of you know that DPMS Hosting will be shutting down its servers.

We are no longer able to keep running the way we are. Tony sold the business to me and has yet to transfer any of it over. There is no way for me to pay the bills so the service will be stopping soon. I suggest you backup any data that you need and move to another hosting company.

I had all the intentions of keeping DPMS Hosting going but I have not heard from Tony in over 4 weeks. He will not return any phone calls nor will he respond to any emails. I am fully aware this may be an uneasy transition for some of you and I apologize for that. I have enjoyed working with many of you. And yes I realize there are some of you who are unhappy at this time with the way the service has been going.

I will continue to answer emails until the site is shut down. You will be able to open tickets through the support ticketing system. Again I want to apologize for what is happening but please realize this is completely out of my control. There is no way for me to continue this when the company has still not been transferred into my name. Thanks for you understanding.

Best Regards,
    DPMS Hosting

Count yourself lucky at least they have mailed you. You could have lost all data.
    Web Request - Shared / Reseller / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated
    Multiple Domain Hosting .... 24/7 Technical Support - UK Website

Sounds like the new owner did the honorable thing by contacting everyone.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Good thing he did. Though I did ask when will be the last day.

This is screwed cos I was hoping to settle down with the constant server changes. Its tiring.

God Bless.
    Viper
    viper@viperphoenix.com
    www.bMine.com

I respect the owner. He did all this in a professional way by informing the customers and did not shut down the server first. Move on to another host, something like this can't be predicted as well.
    tanfwc

It's saddening as it sounds that the previous owner sold it to him without transfering payment information or anything except handing over the bills.

I hope all the customers find good new homes.

Its sad that the transition did not go well. However, alerting the clients the way you did is something that is priceless.

Did they give an ETA for everybody to move off?
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA | Dallas, TX | Ashburn, VA | London, UK | Amsterdam, NL | Johannesburg, ZA

Received such a mail too.

Their $2.98/mo reseller was really affordable and was quite acceptable in terms of support and performance.

BTW, where are the others moving on ? I need a cheap reseller solution for a non-profit site which is still hosted with dpms. Any suggestions?

couldn't he start a new brand (reseller perhaps), and tell his customers to "come on over" before the old servers are shut down?

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt
    couldn't he start a new brand (reseller perhaps), and tell his customers to "come on over" before the old servers are shut down?
    A few years ago we actually purchased a bunch of hosting clients from what I thought was a semi-solid host. Within a few weeks it was clear that things were not as the former owner had presented them. The accounts were wayyyyy oversold and the servers were failing so bad that we couldn't even migrate clients.

I did much the same thing as the DPMS new ower, except I explained that we'd offer any of those clients 3 free months if they wanted to sign up under our regular hosting accounts. We lost about 75% of the clients (most were looking for ridiculously generous hosting packages), but at least we were able to salvage something out of the deal.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Indeed, very sad.....

At least you are aware of the whole situation & are able to find another provider (with your data), most companies who sell up don't even give their clients any explanation & they lose all their hard work/time etc etc.

I wish you good-luck :-).
    Please PM me if you need any updates or help.

if new owner lost contact to previous owner but have access to all his servers (look as he have access) why he not move customers to own servers? instead he offer to customer moving to some other hosting company. it's very strange for me in situation when companies pay lot of buks for customer base. are you all sure that this message became from real owner of DPMS hosting?
    For me, this is look as someone (probably hacker) just hack support/billing system of the DPMS hosting and sent out emails to customer.
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

While the new owner did deal with this in an honorable way, he could've also transferred the clients to his own servers and transfer them to a new billing system instead of losing the whole deal
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Well, I dont think it's a hacker playing wit us.

DPMS rents servers from HostingZoom (nswebhost.com) and the email's headers are :
    Code:
    Return-Path: <pbwizard@walker.nswebhost.com>
    Received: from walker.nswebhost.com (walker.nswebhost.com [66.246.246.242])
            by mx.google.com with ESMTP id i18si3084111wxd.2007.01.19.15.33.36;
            Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:33:36 -0800 (PST)
    Received-SPF: pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of pbwizard@walker.nswebhost.com designates 66.246.246.242 as permitted sender)
    Received: from pbwizard by walker.nswebhost.com with local (Exim 4.52)
    	id 1H83Eh-0003yt-2A
    	for myid@gmail.com; Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:33:31 -0600
    To: myid@gmail.com
    Subject: DPMS Hosting
    Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:33:31 -0600
    Reply-to: webmaster@dpmshosting.com
    Message-ID: <1a833ef52aac2489e247ca5cc3c3a783@www.dpmshosting.com>
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.72]
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - walker.nswebhost.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - gmail.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [32212 32215] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - walker.nswebhost.com
    X-Source: 
    X-Source-Args:
    Also, the live chat is down currently and I know the support ticket wont be replied...maybe they have already fired the support staff :p

If anyone can catch them on live chat, please confirm and post here.

Should I even think of the option of asking for a refund, I made an annual payment and there's still 8 months of service that they have to provide

I have to say though, I'm not that surprised.

good to tell you the robber tony suspended me before without notify !!!

That's a real shame. I feel sorry for the fellow who bought the company. It would be wise to change the homepage to reflect the close-down, though.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Confirmed via live chat...they are closing down.
    Move your sites within 24hours from now on.

24 hours? That isn't much of a notice and definitely not really time for most people to move there sites and get DNS updated.

So where are the others moving to?
    Looking for a cheap reseller host

Coldmedia.co.uk looked good but they only accept in pounds!

Just use a conversion of pounds to dollars using www.xe.com.

I am sure they will convert for you with your merchant.

I also would recommend starting your search on hostsearch.com for budget resellers.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA | Dallas, TX | Ashburn, VA | London, UK | Amsterdam, NL | Johannesburg, ZA

My paypal account is maintained in USd balance. When I go to pay to coldmedia, the funding source changes to credit card tied to paypal account, not the paypal balance...auto conversion doesnt work.

I would try to contact them to get a payment method addressed.

As we do not know how their system works so we can not give you proper support in regards to that.

Yep...already sent a PM to coldmedia here.

Other possible options : zoneserv, qoozz

Quote Originally Posted by agnivo007
    Received such a mail too.

Their $2.98/mo reseller was really affordable and was quite acceptable in terms of support and performance.

BTW, where are the others moving on ? I need a cheap reseller solution for a non-profit site which is still hosted with dpms. Any suggestions?
    Does this mean you are a registered not for profit or that you have a failed business model?
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast