Plesk Backup Script

Hello!

I would like to write a script or something so that it automatically backups my entire Plesk server (v. 8.1) and then uploads it to a remote FTP.

More importantly, I am curious if it's possible to upload directly on to the FTP without first storing a copy of all the files on the server being upgraded. This is because my server has a 73GB disk and its like 80% used..... so there really isn't room to make the backup on the same disk before sending it over via. FTP.

Any suggestions here would be very much appreciated.

Why not using psa backup? What OS you using?

Make /backup an nfs mount or other network mount and run:

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup all /backup/backup.plesk
    H4Y Technologies LLC Check out our new website!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VDS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** Email: askus at host4yourself d0t com

Hello,

I'm not sure if your suggestion addresses my concern. Unless of course there is a way to make a mount on server that is actually an FTP account or something.... in which case please explain how I would do this.

I have a 73GB hard drive.... and about 60GB is used up.

That means I need to make a 60GB backup with only 13GB of available space. I do not have the option of running the backup on a partition, because that partition would only be 13GB and therefore not big enough to hold the entire backup.

Instead, I would like to backup the server onto another server once a week via. FTP. I know it's a lot of space but that doesn't really matter, neither does the transfer time.

Anyhow, what I need to know is if it's possible for me to backup directly on to the FTP instead of first making a copy on the local hard drive.

I would use ./pleskbackup but that saves it on my hard drive and therefore will not fit.

This is version 8.1 of Plesk running on Fedora Core 5 Linux.

Thanks!

There is no easy solution for your problem. There are 2 ways.

1) Plug a new hard drive into your server and mount it to the filesystem.

2) Backup your clients/domains by portions using

# /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --clients <file_with_clients_list>

OR

# /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --domains <file_with_domains_list>
    Senior Server Administrator

Do you have root access or the ability to have your host make nfs exports for you on the machine that you want to FTP the backups to? In that case, yes you can use my suggestion very much like you would FTPing the backups somewhere. It would backup to the remote location without ever storing the backups on the local machine.

Quote Originally Posted by smkied
    Hello,

I'm not sure if your suggestion addresses my concern. Unless of course there is a way to make a mount on server that is actually an FTP account or something.... in which case please explain how I would do this.

I have a 73GB hard drive.... and about 60GB is used up.

That means I need to make a 60GB backup with only 13GB of available space. I do not have the option of running the backup on a partition, because that partition would only be 13GB and therefore not big enough to hold the entire backup.

Instead, I would like to backup the server onto another server once a week via. FTP. I know it's a lot of space but that doesn't really matter, neither does the transfer time.

Anyhow, what I need to know is if it's possible for me to backup directly on to the FTP instead of first making a copy on the local hard drive.

I would use ./pleskbackup but that saves it on my hard drive and therefore will not fit.

This is version 8.1 of Plesk running on Fedora Core 5 Linux.

Thanks!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VDS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

Yes, you can save the backup using NFS as John mentioned in the above post. That would be the easiest way in this situation.

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I have full root access on the server that needs to be backed up. As for the destination server, I have limited SSH access.

How would I go about setting up this NFS you speak of?

Thanks!!

I am reading a little bit about NFS and they mention it's similar to the Samba file server. I do already have the Samba file server installed on my server, I just have no idea how to set it up or use it LOL.

You would probably want to use NFS over Samba. You would have to talk to the root user on the backup machine to setup NFS exports for you. It would take quite a while to explain on here. Google is your friend!

I am the root user on the machine, ahaha. I have a dedicated server and I can generally run all the things I need to, but this is definitely outside of the realm I was expecting to enter.

Is this perhaps a bad idea for me to do? I suppose it would be easier to just get another hard drive hmm...

Ok, so I have put in the request to just have another hard drive installed.

All I need now is some way of automating the process so that the following happens:

> Run ./pleskbackup all filename
    > FTP "filename" to given FTP information
    > After upload is complete, remove filename

Now, I am a bit of a newb here so I'm not sure if this is something that's supposed to be done using Cron Jobs (if yes then how) or using an SSH script (if yes, then how).

Please let me know. Thank you!!

Also, if the script could somehow automatically date and time stamp the file so that the filename is slightly different from the other files on the destination upload, that would be terrific.

Add this to the destination filename:

`date +"%b.%d.%Y-%H:%M"`

It will look like this:

Jan.21.2007-16:27