Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having problems with Hostgator.com

I am renting a semi dedicated Server at hostgator.com. You can visit hosgator.com/shared.shtml to check the specs.

My problem is that lately (in the last 4 weeks or so) this server has been constantly going down a lot at around 11 AM to 3 PM (this never used to happen and the only reason I pay the $74.95 to hostgator.com a month is because of the “reliability” the supposedly have, if I wanted for my website to go down every 3 minutes I would pay the $6.99 for a godaddy.com hosting account and get triple the HardDisk space and double the Bandwidth of what I get at hostgator.com)

I wrote to Hostgator.com staff and they told that this is because I have up to 50 databases connections at once. I asked them where I could check this and they told me I do not have access to this information. I also told them I wanted to be moved to another server but they say this wouldn’t help if my website was the one making everything going down!

My website gets around 8,000 – 10,000 people a day and only uses around 100 GB of bandwidth of the 500 GB I get for my semi dedicated ServerAccount. All of the images on my website are hosted on another Hosting Account, my videos and games are also hosted on another server. This is why I do not get how come my website goes down so much if I only basically have my PHP pages there and my databases!!! I don’t run any weird scripts or anything, all I have is my WordPress weblog, and a phpBB Forum.

This is really annoying as I know that everything a user tries to access my page for the first time and the website is down, they pretty much won’t come back again (if they are like me that is).

I want suggestions from you people, what should I do? Should I get a different company to host my website? Is 50 databases connections really too much for a semi dedicated server (which I really don’t think I get 50 connections at the same time)? Anyone else had this issue with hostgator.com before?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer me.

[Edit] I also forgot to mention, I get way more visits in the afternoon hours and the server doesn’t go down at that time.
    Last edited by elblogeo; 01-19-2007 at 04:27 PM.

That story seems a bit off to me. You can't bring down the whole server if you're on a semi-dedicated...

Just out of curiousity, how many users do you have on your forum online at once during peak times?

The most users I have on my forum at once are around 5 registered users and maybe 7 guests.

I also have pictures of my server status and how everything just goes down and fails if you people want to see it I will post them. I also sent those pictures to hostgator.com.

Well the forums themselves are lightly loaded. Are you sure there aren't any scripts leaving database connections open?

50 db connections is A LOT. I've seen forums that have hundreds of online users and don't have half that many connections open. So really it comes do to either HostGator is lying to you, or your scripts need to be fixed.

Yes, my forum doesn't even have any plugins and my Wordpress have very few plugins. I will be updating my Wordpress this weekend along with the plugins just to see if that could help, and if the problem was a script leaving databases connections open, then my website would have been behaving this way since I first got the hostgator hosting account and not in the past few weeks only.

An average of 9,000 per day is an average of 6.25 per minute.

If your site runs and relies on sql and you have many pages ...etc this could build up.

To hit 50+ at any one time maybe stretching it but, it does depend on how long they stay and how busy these 6.25 people per minute are.

Maybe it's happened a few times but, it wouldn't be sustained ...
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: DTS-Net

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    That story seems a bit off to me. You can't bring down the whole server if you're on a semi-dedicated...

Just out of curiousity, how many users do you have on your forum online at once during peak times?
    Er. Sure you can. There's no virtualization on the hostgator semi-dedicated servers as they're simply shared systems but with less users on them.

To the op: I'd recommend firing an e-mail to brent@hostgator.com -- he'll have someone look into the issue a bit more thoroughly.

Exactly my point EncoderZ, I do not get why this has to happen everyday around the same time and even in the mourning hours where my website is not even getting that many visits.

It could be a routing issue with your ISP, did any of your users report the downtime or is it just you alone? Are you monitoring the server with any 3rd party monitoring services?

50 concurrent connections should not bring down a semi-dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    It could be a routing issue with your ISP, did any of your users report the downtime or is it just you alone? Are you monitoring the server with any 3rd party monitoring services?

50 concurrent connections should not bring down a semi-dedicated server.
    That all depends on what those connections are doing. If they're queries filled chock-full of *'s and being performed on a large database it could dropkick any number of servers.

WN-Ali-

It is not a routing issue with my ISP as the person that answered my ticket from hostgator.com told that the services were failing because I had the 50 databases connections and this was the cause of the server going down. I do not use any 3rd part monitoring services. The person that helped me at hostgator.com told me that he was going to increase my users database pool and this problem should stop and this was around a week ago and the problem continues to be the same.

Ah, ok, thats for clearing that up David semi-dedicated usually means a VPS...

-------------

That seems very odd, especially because you receive more users later on in the day. I have a strange feeling something else is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    That all depends on what those connections are doing. If they're queries filled chock-full of *'s and being performed on a large database it could dropkick any number of servers.
    My database size is 15 MB...

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Er. Sure you can. There's no virtualization on the hostgator semi-dedicated servers as they're simply shared systems but with less users on them.

To the op: I'd recommend firing an e-mail to brent@hostgator.com -- he'll have someone look into the issue a bit more thoroughly.
    Yea, that is true, before I got the hosting account I specifically asked how many users per semi dedicated server and they told me no more than 4 people.

Please pm me your ticket number, and I will be happy to kick whoever is crashing your server. Semi dedicated servers have 2-3 accounts on them so with that said there's a pretty good chance your site is the problem.

Please do message me and I'll be happy to get this resolved for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com
    Please pm me your ticket number, and I will be happy to kick whoever is crashing your server. Semi dedicated servers have 2-3 accounts on them so with that said there's a pretty good chance your site is the problem.

Please do message me and I'll be happy to get this resolved for you.
    So you are saying that you will be happy to kick whoever is crashing my server and that you are sure that my site is the problem. So does this mean you want me to send you my ticket so you can kick me?

I just responded to your pm, but basically there's two sites on this server with 2.4ghz 1 gig memory, and your site is almost all the usage from the 40-50k page views a day. Any downtime on it is a direct result from your site since the only other person on the server is about 20% of the usage your site has.

Quote Originally Posted by elblogeo
    So you are saying that you will be happy to kick whoever is crashing my server and that you are sure that my site is the problem. So does this mean you want me to send you my ticket so you can kick me?
    What does that matter where HG puts the customer? I see it has Hostgator is doing something to correct the issue which is appearent from the last post. I would say let them handle it.

HG!
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

elblogeo, it would seem you have multiple problem areas.

Information provided an HG rep in their post above this one shows your site may not be on a powerful enough Server or one that is optimized for what you need.

Your other problem(s) are the off-site links for your images, videos, and games. Who knows what problems may be on those other Servers but if there are any, it will definitely affect the load time of pages on the HG Server.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

I am renting a semi dedicated Server at hostgator.com. You can visit hosgator.com/shared.shtml to check the specs.

My problem is that lately (in the last 4 weeks or so) this server has been constantly going down a lot at around 11 AM to 3 PM (this never used to happen and the only reason I pay the $74.95 to hostgator.com a month is because of the “reliability” the supposedly have, if I wanted for my website to go down every 3 minutes I would pay the $6.99 for a godaddy.com hosting account and get triple the HardDisk space and double the Bandwidth of what I get at hostgator.com)

I wrote to Hostgator.com staff and they told that this is because I have up to 50 databases connections at once. I asked them where I could check this and they told me I do not have access to this information. I also told them I wanted to be moved to another server but they say this wouldn’t help if my website was the one making everything going down!

My website gets around 8,000 – 10,000 people a day and only uses around 100 GB of bandwidth of the 500 GB I get for my semi dedicated ServerAccount. All of the images on my website are hosted on another Hosting Account, my videos and games are also hosted on another server. This is why I do not get how come my website goes down so much if I only basically have my PHP pages there and my databases!!! I don’t run any weird scripts or anything, all I have is my WordPress weblog, and a phpBB Forum.

This is really annoying as I know that everything a user tries to access my page for the first time and the website is down, they pretty much won’t come back again (if they are like me that is).

I want suggestions from you people, what should I do? Should I get a different company to host my website? Is 50 databases connections really too much for a semi dedicated server (which I really don’t think I get 50 connections at the same time)? Anyone else had this issue with hostgator.com before?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer me.

[Edit] I also forgot to mention, I get way more visits in the afternoon hours and the server doesn’t go down at that time.
    Sounds like you've been stuck on a heavily oversold server. You are definitely going to need to move to another box if you want your uptime conditions to improve.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Shaw, two sites in your opinion is a seriously oversold server?

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    elblogeo, it would seem you have multiple problem areas.

Information provided an HG rep in their post above this one shows your site may not be on a powerful enough Server or one that is optimized for what you need.

Your other problem(s) are the off-site links for your images, videos, and games. Who knows what problems may be on those other Servers but if there are any, it will definitely affect the load time of pages on the HG Server.
    I thought that by having the images in another server would ease up the load time of the website itself since they just have to execute the PHP pages and not all of the images. But by what I am reading, it looks like that I was wrong. The videos are hosted in youtube.com and they sometimes take a bit to load but I don’t see any problems with the whole page been loaded, just the video itself.

I would also think that a semi-dedicated server with two users would be able to handle 10,000 users with 40-50k page views a day, but I guess I was wrong about that too…

I am updating my scripts as to see if any of them were leaving any database connections open to see if this help out. If it doesn’t than I will have to either move to a dedicated server like the hostgator representative told me over PM or I will have to move to another hosting company.

The reason I feel I don not need to move to a dedicated server is because hostgator offers 500 GB of bandwidth a month and my website only uses around 100 GB. So if you do the math, how many page views per day a website should be getting to actually achieve the whole 500 GB of bandwidth that a person is paying for? I am pretty sure that you would have to get way more than only 50 k page views a day.

Let’s do the math, if I get 50 k page views a day and my bandwidth use a month is around 100 GB, this means that I should be able to get around 250 K page views a day to use my whole 500 GB of bandwidth. And if this server is not able or powerful enough to do that, then why would they sell the 500 GB of bandwidth in the first place? I could be wrong and I am pretty sure that there are other aspects to this equation, but I am just going by the reason the hostgator representative gave me, and that is the 50K page Views a day.

The reason I feel I don not need to move to a dedicated server is because hostgator offers 500 GB of bandwidth a month and my website only uses around 100 GB.
    Unfortunately your logic is faulty. HG make no promises that you can consume all the bandwidth they offer you with the script and setup you are using.

The problem you are having is not to do with lack of bandwidth. It may be because the CPU/RAM is being overused; it may be because of making your site dependent on Youtube's speed (not a link I'd think of making on one of my sites). Since your site is consuming the vast majority of the server resources, I'm not sure that moving to a Dedicated will necessarily solve the problem. If you move to a more and more powerful Dedicated, then eventually you should be OK - unless the problem is really Youtube's speed in which case nothing you are doing at your end will solve it.

I just finished updating my scripts and found out that one of them was leaving the database connections open. It was a script that keeps track of how many users are currently online; hopefully this will fix the problem. I will see tomorrow when the peek hours come if the server will be at full load. I am checking my Server service status right now and the server load is at only 0.54

I was chatting to HG live support recently about usage allowance on shared accounts and they don't allow more than 25% cpu in a 90 second period.

On the Cpanel > server load/status (they said) they find upto 10.0 (2cpus) OK but, then worry when it goes over as the servers at peak before it starts to effect customers on the server.

My site(s) used 1.0 server load but, on my calculations 2.5 of 10.0 is max. allowed but, I was worried I might exceed the resources so moved back off the servers - worried but, HG Live Chat rep. said it wasn't a problem but, still ...

I only paid 1 cent (1 UK pence) for 1st month as if you use the coupon code jury (during sign-up) you get 9.94 off the first month
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: DTS-Net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast