Needs Host Who Will Restore Account

Hi,

I am looking for a webhost who will restore an account backup (with the file extension .gz.tar) about 250mb in size and then host it for me. I asked my last host to disable the account for abit and when I asked to enable it again, he doesn't seem to be able to.

Anyone able to help me do this asap?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I think that any host will be able to help you.

I thought so too, but two seperate small hosts have have been unable to restore it

Hi!
    Is this a cpanel backup?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I'd assume so as the file of the backup is called 'cpmove-danny.gz.tar'

The account I had was a reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpster
    I think that any host will be able to help you.
    Why not?

Most hosts will restore a backup file if you upload it to the server.

Then any host with root access should be able to help you (I mean with root, because a reseller wont be able to do it)
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi

This may not be a full cPanel backup, you should first try to untar it yourself and see if all files and mysql database is in tact.

A host may have to spend some extra time and restore it manually after untarring the file.

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I agree with Cirtex. It would be a bad idea to assume it is a cpanel backup. First you should confirm what type of backup the file is, then if it IS a cpanel backup get yourself a hosting company that has cpanel and have them install your site. Best of luck
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by jmcallister
    I agree with Cirtex. It would be a bad idea to assume it is a cpanel backup. First you should confirm what type of backup the file is, then if it IS a cpanel backup get yourself a hosting company that has cpanel and have them install your site. Best of luck
    Given the file name, I think it's pretty safe to assume it is.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Yeah I'd think any cPanel host could restore this fine. If there is a problem cPanel says why the backup could not be restored. If that's the case then the next step would be to look inside the archive and see what is still usuable. It could very well be a corrupt archive.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

I think you need to untar the file on your pc and check out if it's complete backup
    then all you need is
    the public_html file and mysql file
    so if you can get this out from your backup upload your file and ask your hoster to restore the mysql db for you
    no matter if your new hosting provider has cpanel or any custom control panel he should be able to restore it for you in 10 min
    Murabba.com ... one of the leaders providing web service in Arab Region..
    http://murabba.com

well i can tell by the name that it was already moved from either one host another or just one server to another.

Thats why its called cp move, usually it will break it up into many small zips and then put it back together on the new server.

That may only be a partial, which would explain why they cant restore.

If its full and not damaged in anyway then most hosts can do it.
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Butty
    I'd assume so as the file of the backup is called 'cpmove-danny.gz.tar'

The account I had was a reseller.
    The is not quite the same as a Cpanel backup file. If it was a backup file it would include the date the backup was done within the file name. I would suggest you try to find that file as a 'cpmove' file may be an incomplete file.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Restoring it isn't restricted just to cpanel hosts, by the way, even hsphere can restore it (though admittedly it still has bugs for that.)
    -Steven | u2-web, LLC - Clustered Shared Hosting
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Hello "Bacon Butty", have you tried to decompress the file in your local machine?
    An ICANN Accredited Domain name Registrar - OwnRegistrar.com
    | Shared Hosting | Reseller hosting | Dedicated server | - qualispace.com
    Premium AntiSpam / AntiVirus gateway - SpamTermino.com

Have you had someone that knows what they are doing try to do this for you? Feel free to contact me for help to make sure it is a full backup and not a piece of your backup.
    Northwest Missouri Hosting "Cheap Reliable Hosting."
    WHM/Cpanel
    Reseller Accounts Now Available!!

Thanks for the offers everyone, just to let you all know, Jedito restored the account for me, however, turns out the forum I wanted to restore and host was hacked by some Turk (posted a picture of a man carrying dead child stating to stop war, some of you may have seen this hacker before)

Originally hoped he may have just edited index file, turns out however the database was scrambled. Very disappointed, but thanks again for everyone offering to help.

Thanks for the offers everyone, just to let you all know, Jedito restored the account for me
    Did you contact him asking him to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    I did, yes.

Thanks for the offers everyone, just to let you all know, Jedito restored the account for me . . .
    Just curious how Jedito restored the account for you, unless he had root access, or your account was with them?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Just curious how Jedito restored the account for you, unless he had root access, or your account was with them?
    I sent him the account backup, as to how he restored it you'd have to ask him.

I sent him the account backup, as to how he restored it you'd have to ask him.
    So he restored it on your existing host's server or on their server?

Just wondering how anyone other than the host with root access could have restored that backup for you.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    So he restored it on your existing host's server or on their server?

Just wondering how anyone other than the host with root access could have restored that backup for you.
    Their server.

Am not sure whether he has root access, or whether it's needed to restore the backup as am not sure what kind of backup it is.

I love how you always want to search some dirt on me. Get a mirror pal.

I restored his backup in one of our servers, sadly, the site seems to be hacked and most of his forum database destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I love how you always want to search some dirt on me. Get a mirror pal.
    Dirt, no. I was simply wondering because other posts in this thread were much more relevant to his question (from cPanel hosts) than yours were. I'm surprised he didn't choose any of the others.

Dirt, no. I was simply wondering because other posts in this thread were much more relevant to his question (from cPanel hosts) than yours were. I'm surprised he didn't choose any of the others.
    Why do you assume I never? I PM'ed most, Jedito was first to respond with the most helpful advice and promises, so took it from there.

Why do you assume I never? I PM'ed most, Jedito was first to respond with the most helpful advice and promises, so took it from there.
    That's why I totally dropped this issue after you said you contacted him.

Am not sure if it's possible, but I wouldnt mind having bits of the forum back to work on. Dont mind losing the close on 3k members, posts, threads etc, but i'd love just to have the shell of the site, layout, portal etc?

Anyone know if its possible to get any of it back? or is it time to throw in the towel?

Am not sure if it's possible, but I wouldnt mind having bits of the forum back to work on. Dont mind losing the close on 3k members, posts, threads etc, but i'd love just to have the shell of the site, layout, portal etc?

Anyone know if its possible to get any of it back? or is it time to throw in the towel?
    It really depends how much information is still intact in the database.

It really depends how much information is still intact in the database.
    Not much, only a few tables, can't remember exacly which they were, but nothing usefull.

Does the original host have no other backups of any kind? Tape, mirror machine, offsite, etc?