Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VPS is crap

You're right on #7. You don't really know what you're getting with a VZ account until you've logged in and seen /proc/user_beancounters for youself.

But isn't that the whole point of coming to sites like this and reading user reviews in the first place?

Hello,

Hope that you are not talking SLHost because I am going to sign up their VPS Plan. I noticed that you mentioned SLHost at:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=564061

You said:

I was able to save big on VPS by moving to SLHost, (their promotions)

They seem very good, just not sure if it will stay this way for the long term.

Otherwise nothing to lose to give it a go!
    Best regards

Name Names!!! Please. There are lots of us out here sitting on fences trying to decide between VPS and Reseller accounts. If the lists dwindle down...it will help us make good decisions.

VPS itself is right, maybe your provider is a crap?
    Peter Orga-Sales -sales@sexywing.com
    SexyWing - flying adult hosting service
    Profitable adult hosting provider Since 2006
    http://www.sexywing.com

Mostly bollocks

A lot of this talk is mostly bollocks - just consider these points.

1. Having a VPS is like having a dedicated server. Management is entirely down to you. VPS use shouldn't think that they have less responsibility on a VPS compared with a dedicated, or that it should require less knowledge and skill.

2. Compare the difference in price between a VPS and a managed dedicated offering and consider how it is possible to have the same quality of services at the same price.

3. Managed offerings, dedicated or VPS, don't claim to do everything, nor would they if they had any sense, unless the techs aimed to study every program installed to learn how to manage them properly.

4. How many VPS users install tools that enable them to monitor the resource consumption of their processes, so at the very least they can monitor whether they are operating within their guaranteed limits, or exceeding them a lot?

5. VPS users are also shared users and resellers who want to be able to do things they can't do in a shared hosting environment and don't want to do the diligence involved in managing for themself.

6. I am VPS user for some personal requirements, but I realise now that a combination of some low end VPS for stuff like email, svn etc plus some kind of developer oriented shared hosting like Dreamhost would probably serve my needs well enough
    (if only their MySQL was reliable enough - read this article at MediaTemple http://www.mediatemple.net/weblog/20...l-on-the-grid/)
    I am planning to get a decent dedicated, study some Xen and partition it. It will definitely be much cheaper than the combination of VPSs and shared I currently use.

7. Guys, lets face it. VPS won't cure cancer, get your wife back, feed the world or bring world peace. Just make time know your processes, acquaint yourself with the management tools, or buy in some reliable help, assuming you know enough to know that they know enough about what they are promising.
    Or go to Rackspace (assuming of course - that they really know what they are doing).

I've been trying to use many many VPS' to replace a few power servers I've been using.
    Ring any alarm bells for anyone else? I know if i had power servers and needed them i wouldnt deal with the hassle of switching to VPS.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

There's been some comments on troubles related to overselling.

My guess he was put on a way oversold server by a VPS provider who has poor support and is now sour over VPS in general.
    VPS providers oversell their VPS' and tempt you with that extra 50GB bandwidth.
    is it possible to find out early on if a provider is overselling, and if yes, how ?
    or does one have to take their word for it ?

rgds
    d

Quote Originally Posted by doonee
    There's been some comments on troubles related to overselling.

is it possible to find out early on if a provider is overselling, and if yes, how ?
    or does one have to take their word for it ?

rgds
    d
    Hi,

Checking for reviews is always good.

Also keep in mind the old saying, If it sounds too good to be true, it often is.
    ••••• John Strong - SolidHost COO •••••
    »» http://www.SolidHost.com ««
    SolidHost offers fully managed Linux and Windows VPS's in the Netherlands , with Plesk, cPanel, Directadmin and Helm.

some times it the client on the vps that is over selling I have seen web-hosts have 100 and 150 clients on a vps and have a lot of problems with there vps HELLO I wounder why with that many clients all using that vps server they should be on a dedicated server but they try to use the vps to save the money it would cost them for a dedicated server that would handle there clients with no problems.

some times it the client on the vps that is overselling.
    sure, if you oversell your own ressources youll run into problems.
    i was concerned with the case of people who do not oversell on their vps but end up in trouble nevertheless because their host does. ...

rgds
    d

I have seen web-hosts have 100 and 150 clients on a vps and have a lot of problems with there vps
    is there like a known ratio between space/bw/ram on a cpanel hosting vps and the nr. of clients it can manage with no trouble, given the host is not overselling ?
    sthg. like a rule of thumb ?

rgds
    d

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine

10: VPS is NOT good for providing hosting. Free AND Paid. If you are providing hosting from a VPS, think again.
    I agree. What I am going to write is a big sweeping statement, but...

If you are providing hosting to clients, free or paid, a VPS would not be my server of choice! I would use a high specification normal server. Not a small portion of a high specification server.

Now that's not to say that VPS aren't good, they are great and actually I am thinking of moving to one, but! How come normal hosting providers don't just use VPS all the time? Because you need to pick the right tool for the job, and VPS for providing hosting to people isn't the right tool in most cases.

I think the mistake many new hosts make when choosing their provider to choose from, is that they judge and choose by disk space and bandwidth within their budget. Of course this is important but especially when the awareness of the importance in non-overselling is growing, (it's cool to not oversell) hosts are looking for VPS' and dedicateds alike with the specs they feel they can profit from.

One off-topic point, how does one define non-overselling? The host has a VPS with 10GB space and 100GB bandwidth, he does not allocate anymore resources than that and he boasts "non-overselling host!" on his website. But actually this host is hosted entirely on a 256MB Ram VPS which costs 30 dollars per month, VPS which is blatantly oversold. More embarassing, you can check this host's virtuozzo login at the usual login port

This was what my VPS adventure about, cutting costs - more profits.

VPS providers can oversell and make money. How? By restricting your VPS.

And before anybody throws in the "you idiot, pay more for it" lines, I'm a self-employed running a small part-time business, I'm looking for cost-effective solutions, high end VPS is just not cost-effective at all, and does not compare even remotely to a dedicated server.

It depends on how u utilize the Resource.!

only reason to get vps is if you need a cheap shell with root access.

If you need power, a cheap dedi will give u better bang for buck than a vps. You can put a higher load on a cheap dedi than you can on the equivilent vps.

I think the only VPS worth considering is Xen based VPS, because the memory you get is physical memory in the machine.

No VPS is a replacement for a dedicated server, is my conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by doc_flabby
    only reason to get vps is if you need a cheap shell with root access.

If you need power, a cheap dedi will give u better bang for buck than a vps. You can put a higher load on a cheap dedi than you can on the equivilent vps.

I think the only VPS worth considering is Xen based VPS, because the memory you get is physical memory in the machine.
    You are 100% talking out of your arse on this one.

A Cheap dedicated machine will come with say, a 1Ghz Celeron and 256 MB ram. That's all you'll ever get.

On a VPS machine you are allowed to burst most of the time, as long as resources are not being used. And a VPS server is going to have way more RAM and CPU for you to utilize.

Oh and by the way, where do you think the memory on a non-Xen VPS comes from, if it's not physical memory in the machine? Does it float through the air?

Quote Originally Posted by nicedream
    On a VPS machine you are allowed to burst most of the time, as long as resources are not being used. And a VPS server is going to have way more RAM and CPU for you to utilize.

Oh and by the way, where do you think the memory on a non-Xen VPS comes from, if it's not physical memory in the machine? Does it float through the air?
    An oversold node there will not be an abundance of RAM and CPU to be utilized. In fact, I have seen hosts with over half of their swap full.

Xen doesn't use the "bursting" concept and does not actually "allow" a VPS host to oversell.

If anyone is taking out of their arse, it is likely you as you do not appear to have experience with Xen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    No VPS is a replacement for a dedicated server, is my conclusion.
    I love how you've tested every single VPS provider there is out there.

There are 3 VPS providers I can name who offer very good performance, comparable to that of a dedicated server (if not actually better for the money);

www.myriadnetwork.com
    www.knownhost.net
    www.clustered.net

There may be others, but *very* few as the VPS market is saturated with people who have no idea how to manage a basic shared hosting server, never mind a VPS node that they're packing with 50 VEs...

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    An oversold node there will not be an abundance of RAM and CPU to be utilized. In fact, I have seen hosts with over half of their swap full.

Xen doesn't use the "bursting" concept and does not actually "allow" a VPS host to oversell.

If anyone is taking out of their arse, it is likely you as you do not appear to have experience with Xen.
    Of course an oversold server will perform like crap. That's not what I was talking about. I was responding to the previous poster that claimed that a low end dedicated would be better than a VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Oh and by the way, I believe Xen does have the ability to burst CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by nicedream
    Oh and by the way, I believe Xen does have the ability to burst CPU.
    True, but only because CPU can be easily reclaimed and throttled.

Reclaiming CPU clock cycles = programs running slower.
    Reclaiming "burst" memory = programs crashing with malloc() failures.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12