Questions concerning VPS RAM !

Hello,

Plz I need the help from any VPS expert to answer these questions for me:

- What is the function of the RAM in VPS Hosting and what does it affect in my site???

- If I say that I will have about 3,000 visitors online at a moment, will a 512 mb ram VPS be able to deal with number of visitors and at the same time will it be fast?

If not then usually a 512MB ram VPS can deal with how many visitors online at the same time and be fast without any problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Thats something that really can't be predicted. Each site uses a different amount of RAM. 3000 users online is quite a lot, but 512MB of ram should be able to pull it off. I'd be more concerned about the CPU.

Thanks for the fast reply...

Sorry, what do u mean by:

I'd be more concerned about the CPU.
    Thanks

Hi,

Depending on the VPS system used, the memory can be limited by RAM or by Virtual Memory (Virtual memory is composed of RAM and Swap). How much memory each of your visitors will use is not easy to calculate and varies a lot, from programming to optmization to processing...

3000 concurrent users will also use a lot of CPU, so you do have to be careful to know that the machine will not be overloaded.

For that many visitors, I strongly suggest you to get a dedicated server.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Anas User
    Thanks for the fast reply...

Sorry, what do u mean by:

Thanks

What I meant was, you're more likely to run out of CPU power than you are with memory. I've seen php apps and forums with hundreds of users using up < 100MB of RAM and eating the CPU.