is it possible to lost a domain in redemptionperiod

I was registered a domain at 5 Dec. 2005 from directi for one year. So its registration period ended 5 dec 2006.

At directi it is possible to renew domains at normal price during 35 days after expiration date and after that it enters redemptionperiod and at this period we can pay more and recover domain.

So this domain shuld be still in redemptionperiod and it should be possible for me to pay more and get domain back.

But when I checket 3 days ago at 15 Jan 2007 I see domain was taken by someone else named "PRIVATE REGISTRATIONS AKTIEN GESELLSCHAFT"

I asked Directi support an they said "it is possible to get a domain when it enters redemptionperiod by backordering and someone backordered this domain."

I searched a lot but could not find a clear info about that, please help me, is this posssible? This is our 2nd domain taken by same company.

I dont think they can take it away from you at redemption period. They should allow you for a 60 day waiting period. Not sure who to contact about this maybe someone can asnwer that. By the way what company is the website that tooked you domain name.

The Domain Name would slip into the Redemption Period ONLY if the domain name does not have any backorder against it.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Hmm, I can't seem to find any hint whatsoever what their "grace period" is. Then
    again, they can always reduce it or even do away with it as they see fit.

I did find in sec. 6.3 of their registration agreement they can "choose to transfer
    the ownership of the Order to any third party in their sole discretion". Probably
    means they can try to auction the expired domain name to an interested party or
    pull the plug if they haven't found one by then, which is something many registrars
    are doing nowadays anyway.

So the answer's yes, it's definitely possible. Just confirming what DirectI's support
    told you already.

All the more reason why you have to stay on top of your domain name renewals.
    No excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanworld
    The Domain Name would slip into the Redemption Period ONLY if the domain name does not have any backorder against it.
    Thank you Oceanworld and Dave Zan, this is clear answer to the problem. I just wanted to be sure if this is usual for all registrars or it was an trouble of my registrar.

Quote Originally Posted by comma1
    Thank you Oceanworld and Dave Zan, this is clear answer to the problem. I just wanted to be sure if this is usual for all registrars or it was an trouble of my registrar.
    There is a period after experation that they can't take it from you but it's
    only a few days, or less than 2 weeks anyway.

Then they can charge more to you or it depends on their TOS as far as
    how much time you have after your Grace Period..