Thread: Non-Cpanel VPS?

Non-Cpanel VPS?

I'm looking for a non-managed, non-control-panel VPS ... I will need root access, several IPs (with the ability to add more if I need), MySQL, apache2, and php5. 256 Megs RAM minimum, several gigs of storage, good reliability is a must ...

CentOS 4.4 is preferred, but not req'd.

Who's a good provider for this kind of service? All I can seem to find are hosts that are still in the stone ages -- php4, apache1.3, and CPANEL! CPANEL! CPANEL! (Which, as a linux admin, I loathe...)

What is your working budget for a simple VPS like this?

I'm not sure what market rate is, but $30 is about what I can afford. I can eat rice and beans one extra night a week and go up a bit...

I really only have two clients at this point, but it's growing. This hosting would be for my subversion repository + Trac, and my two web clients... I'm just tired of having the clients' shared hosting servers down or otherwise FUBAR'd.

'Cept for reverse DNS entries for mail, I'm pretty much a 0-maintenance client. I've been a server admin for so long that I can set up a new vhost (including BIND records) blindfolded and with both hands behind my back.

Quote Originally Posted by karlkatzke
    I've been a server admin for so long that I can set up a new vhost (including BIND records) blindfolded and with both hands behind my back.
    So you type with your nose? How many WPM?

http://vpslink.com/vps-hosting/ Unmanaged. No hosting CP. Wide variety of Linux distros available for you to choose from. A good, basic VPS control panel which includes DNS hosting outside your VPS, so you don't need to run Bind.

Kinda slow. It's literally hunt and peck. Luckily VIM doesn't require too many key combos.

Not running BIND is nice. Thanks!

Hello,

Have a look at futurehosting.biz/vps.htm fast setup time.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by karlkatzke
    I'm not sure what market rate is, but $30 is about what I can afford. I can eat rice and beans one extra night a week and go up a bit...

I really only have two clients at this point, but it's growing. This hosting would be for my subversion repository + Trac, and my two web clients... I'm just tired of having the clients' shared hosting servers down or otherwise FUBAR'd.

'Cept for reverse DNS entries for mail, I'm pretty much a 0-maintenance client. I've been a server admin for so long that I can set up a new vhost (including BIND records) blindfolded and with both hands behind my back.
    For $30 you can find a decent VPS, since you can manage the server yourself and without any control panels. I recommend Tektonic, but I am sure there are others.

And if you're such a good server admin, why can't you just update the packages to the versions you want?

Thanks for the links. I've got some I'm looking into now, including one a coworker told me about that's actually a dedicated server host --- Serverpronto.com

Quote Originally Posted by nicedream
    And if you're such a good server admin, why can't you just update the packages to the versions you want?
    Cpanel 10 and WHM doesn't yet work with Apache2 ... even though Apache2.0 has been either in beta or full release for close to seven years. Cpanel has a beta version that will address that issue.

In addition, I've found one or two server providers that install centos/rhel/fedora with the "Web Server" option, and then simply (arrgh!) half-overwrite the binaries with the Cpanel build of Apache 1.3.44 or whatever godforsaken version they're on instead of removing the RPM-based software. It's a very tricky process at that point to upgrade any packages relating to the web serving and email functions without breaking the server, as you've got a significant amount of software that's no longer managed by RPM, yet is still in the RPM database and is installed according to said database... and god forbid you run 'yum -y update' or accidentally turn on cronned yum updating.

Now if I was taking a server up from scratch, that's not that big of an issue -- except for the host throwing a fit for me 'mangling' the software on a shared-resources piece of hardware and reducing their ability to manage and keep an eye on what my slice of server is doing by returning apache logs and whatnot to standard locations, and the inherent instability that could result from that much ripping and tearing of the resilient but sensitive fabric that is a web server.

Unmanaged, panelless, plans are readily available. Your big decision is which memory model is appropriate or acceptable for you. There are key differences between Xen, OpenVZ, Virtuozzo, and Virtuozzo SLM, and several threads discussing them.

In your situation, it may be best to give each of them a functional 30 day test.

Maynard - Thanks, I hadn't realized the differences.

I ended up going with futurehost.biz at least for now -- Thanks, WarmWebHost. Much appreciated. They had the best combination of bandwidth, drive space, etc. ... and their setup was almost instantaneous, and allowed me to install the modules I wanted myself. Their support also answered a low-priority ticket at once when I had a question about DNS.

Hey,

Anytime like i siad Setup was fast.. good luck with them im sure you will love it

Mike

Try weperoni.de