Thread: Fraud alert

Fraud alert

Just got this in..

IP 172.130.19.203
    Mario Vangelista

which is an AOL ip and buying a VPS plan in the UK.. not paid though but registered in HSP
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 01-18-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com

So this customer did not actually perform fraud against your company?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

not yet..

as our billing system will only put the order through if they paid for it via the online payment gateway but the order is there..

the usual alert for me is that why would a US person wants to buy a UK plan since we are "more" expensive because of the infrastructure cost etc..

then why didn't you call him and ask instead of posting his phone number on a public forum?

we get orders that never pay. most companies do.

maybe they aren't even legit orders, but unless they've attempted to defraud you, they're not doing anything wrong. maybe they got to your payment processor and ran into issues or changed the mind. i'm sure we've all changed our mind right before checking something out.

the might even be toying with you, but its not fraud.

also, USA residents could want hosting in various regions for numerous reasons. try not to overthink situations. whether it business or pleasure, wanting to satisfy users from a specific region with faster load times is a very valid reason to have your site hosted elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Plexi_Hosting
    then why didn't you call him and ask instead of posting his phone number on a public forum?
    Exactly. Even if it is a fraud order, I'm sure that phone number belongs to a real person. Posting identifiable contact information is just plain wrong.

--Tina

Good point Tina, since the phone number probably wouldn't be the correct phone number for a fraudster and if it was legit and they just backed out - well, their privacy has just been violated...
    Plexi Hosting and Web Services LLC - Solid hosting, gift cards

TalkShoe - Live, interactive podcasts

Thanks Guys for all these.. I have had quite a few of these in the past.. and normally if someone really wanted the order, they will leave us a ticket if they cannot get through the que or whatever reason.. Since we got a good system, problems tend to filter out..

mostly the ones we get are all from US and being frank, our prices are quite high as we do managed hosting.. so we seldom sell any VPS without a lot of questions first..

I will ask to see whether I can get the no removed.. I no got the email put on

Quote Originally Posted by thejustbiz
    I will ask to see whether I can get the no removed..
    And removed.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

we also got a non-paid order from Brazil, they even confirmed their phone number, but not paid. may be fraud or may be they changed mind.