Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Growing of a Hosting Business

Well, I guess I'm just looking for input on where we are heading. We got a dedicated server mainly becuase I bought a website that required it.

We have set our "watershed line" (for lack of a better word), which is the point in which we will need to make some kind of expansion decision, at either 90% server capactiy or 1700$/year (our costs + a little bit extra).

Anyways, we did all our documenting (TOS, PP, AUP, etc, etc, etc), setup our plans (decent), did the design, setup forum, setup trouble ticket software, etc so I think we have those bases covered.

Now, 10 days after opening our doors we have 1788$ worth of commitments, and 760$ worth of actual clients.

All of a sudden we are having to look at some of these decisions very closely.

We are currently on a RackShack server, which is actaully going okay for us. We looked at RackShack but the bandwidth was rather small, they referred us to ServerBeach, etc... RackShack has a nice little Compaq server with unmetered access which looks attractive... So, which server to get as a second server or to upgrade to is one issue.

Our next issue is what Control software we want. We're running Ensim, along with AWStats as our stuff right now. Ensim is pants, AWStats is aright. We looked @ Alabanza, but I don't think we are at that level yet. Plesk seems to be crap. H-Sphere and CPanel seem to be the two biggies, though our tech doesn't like CPanel because of how unstable it is... So, is H-Sphere worth the cost?

Finally, we are needing to decide things like if we should offer Windows hosting as well (as our second server, which it seems would make H-Sphere with it's centralised cross-OS support to be the best option for the previous point), whether we should just sit on our haunches for a few months...

I guess I'm rambling but also asking for advice from those who have already gone through some of these doors. In one respect I have to say "if our formula is working, why break it", but in anotehr I know we aren't providing our customers with everything we could be (and in some ways should be) providing)...
    ::: Jeremy C. Wright :::
    http://www.ensight.org

Any input really is appreciated...

Don't fix what isn't broken. Ensim works. Keep it. Rackshack works. Get another server. Don't offer Windows until you have enough techs to support the whole new issues that will come from Windows environments.

Also,
    We looked at RackShack but the bandwidth was rather small, they referred us to ServerBeach, etc...
    Did you mean RackSPACE? And you said RackSPACE referred you to Server Beach?

RackSPACE, yes *L* Wow, that was fun And, yes, tthey did.

Just in case you haven't noticed yet, there are a number of threads on Alabanza lately. You will do well to read them.

Peter

If this was just about Alabanza then I would be reading those.

I am not sure what you mean. Please specify what you mean by "this" and "those."

Peter

Alabanza was one word in the entire post, which contained numerous questions and comparisons.

Originally posted by Jeremy W.
    RackSPACE, yes *L* Wow, that was fun And, yes, tthey did.
    That is interesting why they did that.

Because they couldn't fulfill the bandwidth requirements and I told them I was currently with RackShack. They recommended this other company as better tahn rackshack.

Alabanza was one word in the entire post, which contained numerous questions and comparisons.
    I see. So basically you are saying that I am not answering your question.

I try to contribute however much I can. I suppose I shouldn't try to help unless I have "all" the answers to your numerous questions.

Sorry for trying to be helpful while ending up being unhelpful.

Peter

Originally posted by UmBillyCord
    Don't fix what isn't broken. Ensim works. Keep it. Rackshack works. Get another server. Don't offer Windows until you have enough techs to support the whole new issues that will come from Windows environments.
    I agree with UmBillyCord. If what you're using is working successfully, then why change?

I believe that it's easier to administer servers that are all set-up the same rather than a multitude of different software.

Sounds like you're doing good, congrats!
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Thing is that Ensim may not be broken but it isn't really (those who use it I'm sure understand) doing the job, ya know?

In fact, it's a bit of a royal pain to work with, to be honest.

ckpeter, I wasn't coming down on you, but your solution wasn't helping. It could be my fault for not communicating it clearly enough or whatever and if it is I'm sorry.

Thing is that Ensim may not be broken but it isn't really (those who use it I'm sure understand) doing the job, ya know?

In fact, it's a bit of a royal pain to work with, to be honest.
    <very_curious>

Slightly off-thread, but could you please elaborate on your problems with Ensim? I was actually looking to try Ensim on an upcoming project. What specific problems am I in for ?

Thanks, in advance, for your reply.

</very_curious>

Well, take a look at what you as a user generally like in a hosting package.

Ease of MySQL admin
    Good stats
    Ease of maintenance
    Stability
    Speed

Ensim has none of these. Good software? Yes, I don't regret our decision to go with it as we were (and in a lot of ways still are) very new to all this. Is it hindering us? Oh yeah.

There's no billing, no trouble ticket stuff, no stats, no integrated products to offer customers. It is a very basic package, but it isn't bad. I mean, it came with our server so how can I complain?

4solutions,

I recommend checking out rackshack's Ensim forums over at forum.rackshack.net for specifics on Ensim.

abrazell

Thank you, Jeremy and abrazell. I'll look further into it as I have been hearing some good things lately about Ensim's stability. Can't believe everything you hear till you've used it in combat, huh?

Oh god yet another hosting company. It's amazing how easy it is to start one "did all our documenting (TOS, PP, AUP, etc, etc, etc), setup our plans (decent), did the design, setup forum, setup trouble ticket software, etc "

Hey if you get lucky you might get posted on f*ckedcompany.com

Originally posted by Shyne
    No need to bash someone for starting a hosting company. He said he did proper planing.

Re: Growing of a Hosting Business

I guess I'm rambling but also asking for advice from those who have already gone through some of these doors. In one respect I have to say "if our formula is working, why break it", but in anotehr I know we aren't providing our customers with everything we could be (and in some ways should be) providing)...
    It's a never ending process of self improvement, evolution etc. You're never "there" or have "made it". You just keep on going. There are times when you make drastic changes and these are good. I'm about to make another one of those in about a month. Not that all is not rosey now. It's just I never want to stop improving, and striving for perfection.

Just make sure that any changes you make, your cashflow can afford it. So don't over extend yourself for the sake of "improvement".
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Oh god yet another hosting company. It's amazing how easy it is to start one "did all our documenting (TOS, PP, AUP, etc, etc, etc), setup our plans (decent), did the design, setup forum, setup trouble ticket software, etc "

Yeah, wouldn't that be cool that a customer-centric company growing with a business plan and solid principles go under

As long as it is successful I can't see a problem with starting a business. Ever heard of the rule "survival of the fittest" , Shyne ? If you are not willed to take the risk of entering a (honestly) crowded market, please don't bash anyone.

Re: Growing of a Hosting Business

We have set our "watershed line" (for lack of a better word), which is the point in which we will need to make some kind of expansion decision, at either 90% server capactiy or 1700$/year (our costs + a little bit extra).
    Capacity is not equal Capacity. Most servers are capable of running at their limits with remarkable losses in performance, but generating more revenue. Although this is not advisable it is a well-known tactic to increase profits in the web hosting industry. Be sure to fix a guideline you'll stick to. For instance 50 clients / box or 40% CPU load or whatever.

Anyways, we did all our documenting (TOS, PP, AUP, etc, etc, etc), setup our plans (decent), did the design, setup forum, setup trouble ticket software, etc so I think we have those bases covered.
    Hopefully. Otherwise you'll be reminded of it during your business operations, which will cost you some time

Now, 10 days after opening our doors we have 1788$ worth of commitments, and 760$ worth of actual clients.
    Keep an eye on the cash flow and let me money pour.

We are currently on a RackShack server, which is actaully going okay for us. We looked at RackShack but the bandwidth was rather small [..] RackShack has a nice little Compaq server with unmetered access which looks attractive... So, which server to get as a second server or to upgrade to is one issue.
    RackShack has got nice prices on bandwidth. The Compaq server with the unmetered 10 MBit Connection might sound good, but I'd consider rethinking this choice if you're really tending to go with it. Just in case, I'd take 4 99$ servers. That would decrease the server load (which is a big issue hosting CPU-intensive tasks) to a minimum compared with the 1 server solution.

The bandwidth rackshack offered was rather small? Uhm, excuse me, but what bandwidth dimensions are you intending to enter?

Finally, we are needing to decide things like if we should offer Windows hosting as well (as our second server, which it seems would make H-Sphere with it's centralised cross-OS support to be the best option for the previous point), whether we should just sit on our haunches for a few months...
    Is there a huge demand for windows hosting? I haven't experienced this yet. Being in the position to do support for 2 operating system would just increase your workload. Anyway, as a supporter of *nix software I'd stick to additional linux servers.

In one respect I have to say "if our formula is working, why break it", but in another I know we aren't providing our customers with everything we could be (and in some ways should be) providing)...
    I agree. Well, if you _should_ provide them with some things, why don't you simply do so? If something is working, but you _should_ do it in another way, you are supposed to so - or am I wrong?

Greetings,
    Duchz

Thanx again, this is turning into a very valuable thread!

When I said capacity I literally meant disk space/bandwidth, as opposed to CPU load. If it goat above 40-50% load on a regular basis I would be very concerned.

4 99$ servers... True that.

Well, RSpace allows all of 40-50GB of bandwidth. If we went with our current plans, that would allow all of 25 small accounts.

As far as windows hosting, it wouldn't actually be that much "more" work. I don't work with the xNix machine cause I don't know unix. I know windows machines (it's what I do at work) though, so it's not like it's an extra weight really.

Is there a demand? I would say so, especially considering the amount of ASP COM objects we would be able to install cause we've written so many (50+)

Originally posted by Duchz

As long as it is successful I can't see a problem with starting a business. Ever heard of the rule "survival of the fittest" , Shyne ? If you are not willed to take the risk of entering a (honestly) crowded market, please don't bash anyone.
    Oh, I didn't realize he was so fit.

nm then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast