Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nwmo
    If you were happy with their hosting other than the small bandwith issue I would suggest that you go with them. Just look at the point you put out you were happy with them ... You just needed more bandwith. You might be able to work something out with them. Just a suggestion
    That really doesn't solve the problem of needing more bandwidth ^^;

They can't offer more than what they currently offer. And I don't want to take content off of my website, because it is useful to a lot of people.

What I really need is a host LIKE them that has slightly more bandwidth.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BettyAnn
    I'm just looking for someone who will suit my needs, where I will not run into any unpleasant "surprises" down the road.
    And here lies the problem. If you don't want surprises, go with a high end host, otherwise, risk one of the ones talked about most here on WHT like Hostgator, Site5, dreamhost, etc etc. You may get lucky and be able to use them without issue, or you may have the same issue as you did with 1and1.

Also, the hosts that have posted in this thread don't match your requirements and so I don't think they are posting out of wrong doing. However, like I said before you don't want surprises or jumping from host to host, go high end, add ads to your site, get money else where. Otherwise, go with one of the budget hosts and risk it.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by steven99
    And here lies the problem. If you don't want surprises, go with a high end host, otherwise, risk one of the ones talked about most here on WHT like Hostgator, Site5, dreamhost, etc etc. You may get lucky and be able to use them without issue, or you may have the same issue as you did with 1and1.

Also, the hosts that have posted in this thread don't match your requirements and so I don't think they are posting out of wrong doing. However, like I said before you don't want surprises or jumping from host to host, go high end, add ads to your site, get money else where. Otherwise, go with one of the budget hosts and risk it.
    Do you know of any good budget hosts at all? Like I said, powweb was excellent, it just didn't quite fit my needs. Surely, they're not the only decent host around... there's got to be something of the same caliber that offers a little more bandwidth.

On a semi-related note, do ads really help? I might consider adding them if they're worth the big ugly distraction on my page...
      0 Not allowed!

I've quoted three of the "top" budget hosts. There are no guarantees any budget host would kick or not kick you off their server. Even powweb might have at some point. Speaking of them, have you talked to them to see if they'll give you more bandwidth?

As for ads, even google ad sense or whatever it's called might be able to bring in good money with the traffic you have.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle
      0 Not allowed!

u can go for 9999mb.com its a free web hosting u 'll get 10gb diskspace,
    1000gb bandwitch
    http://Smilemaker.uk.to
    (More than 800 readymade scripts)
    http://Bestforum.uk.to/uk/forum
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think that Powweb would offer me more bandwidth... I guess I'll try, though!

Do you know anything about Lunarpages hosting? I have read some positive things about it, and it fits in my budget.

I might also try working with ads... I just don't know how much revenue it will bring in. But I suppose I can always try!
      0 Not allowed!

I hate to jump in and repeat what others have said but for your requirements you are not going to find anything for under $100 per month and if you do then you are going to keep getting nooted once they realize how much bandwidth your using.

My web sites far exceed 10 times the amount that your web site sees for unique visits and page previews. Your forums only have 498 members and I have over 12,000 members in my forums. I don’t even come close to 300GB a month. I thin I average about 150GB a month. The point I am trying to make is that you bandwidth is be consumed by your downloads. I looked over you web site. You have very large downloads for anyone to download. You have over 200 episodes of downloads and they average 38MG apiece and anyone can download them. I was able to download them and I am not a member of any part of your web site. I did not even check into you song collection, so I don’t know how big that collection is. When you provide a free service like this with downloads then you are going to get people sponging of you for nothing.

Do you really need to offer downloading to everyone in the world for free?

Another option to think about that would bring in some revenue. If you are really getting a lot of traffic you might want to think about using adsence from googel and putting ads on you web site. This will help you afford a higher priced hosting service. Be aware that google ads do not bring in money overnight.

If you have not problem with Powweb then I would go back there. But like someone else mentioned, with using cheap hosting companies, once you hosting companies realize that you are using a lot of bandwidth they are going to keeping doing the same thing that 1and1 is doing to you now.

I can not offer you any recommendations because I am on a dedicated server and you sure can not afford on of those.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    The point I am trying to make is that you bandwidth is be consumed by your downloads.
    I know.

I looked over you web site. You have very large downloads for anyone to download. You have over 200 episodes of downloads and they average 38MG apiece and anyone can download them. I was able to download them and I am not a member of any part of your web site. I did not even check into you song collection, so I don’t know how big that collection is. When you provide a free service like this with downloads then you are going to get people sponging of you for nothing.

Downloads are limited to three per day per IP address. The song collection isn't that large, and it's unlimited, but it doesn't take up as much bandwidth. I don't want to make my site a pay site for a variety of reasons. I also don't think that bandwidth is the real issue here. I'm well below my current host's bandwidth quota, and I would be below quota on MANY hosts. The only reason they would have a problem would be if they were overselling... so I'm looking for a host that doesn't do that.

If you have not problem with Powweb then I would go back there. But like someone else mentioned, with using cheap hosting companies, once you hosting companies realize that you are using a lot of bandwidth they are going to keeping doing the same thing that 1and1 is doing to you now.
    I've already said why I can't go back with Powweb... I'm looking for something comparable to Powweb in terms of reliability, but that offers more bandwidth.
      0 Not allowed!

Dreamhost.com perhaps...
      0 Not allowed!

I like your site. I won't visit it again because I don't want to take up your bandwidth. If it is taking up hundred of bandwidth a month, why don't you charge people to view some section of your site. Also you should limit the download to one per day per ip address. An idea would be to set up a donation page, so that when a person click 'download', they get to the donation page. They would have to donate something to get to the download page.
    If you are a poor college student, then you should not be running a website that take up more bandwidth than you can afford.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi everyone!

I have a very large website, and I'm having huge hosting problems. I switched from Powweb to 1and1 a few months ago. Far too late, I discovered that 1and1 is actually THE DEVIL. It's a long story, so I won't bore you with details. Basically, they want to terminate my account, won't give real reasons, won't answer questions, and are generally... well, evil.

So anyway, it's time to switch hosts again. I would like to do this as soon as possible! There are just so many options out there, and it's hard to tell what is reliable and what isn't. When I switched to 1and1, I had no idea they were so bad. I read several good reviews, and a close friend even told me they were great. Well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I need some advice on finding a GOOD, RELIABLE, NON-EVIL host. Please give me lots of suggestions!

Here's what you need to know:
    - I currently use about 25 GB storage
    - I use about 600 GB/mo bandwidth (I need at least 1TB just to be safe, I think)
    - I have 5000+ unique visits per day, sometimes many more.
    - I get up to 200,000 pageviews per day
    - I run a script which limits users to three file downloads per day per IP address. I think this might use up a lot of server resources, but I'm not sure. I need a host that can handle that.
    - I'm a poor college student. I can't really afford anything more expensive than $15/month.

Any help is appreciated!
    $15 a month for all that bandwidth? Your best bet would be a 5mbit unmetered dedicated server or VPS from FDCServers.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.
      0 Not allowed!

The only reason they would have a problem would be if they were overselling... so I'm looking for a host that doesn't do that.
    You are not taking in what we have been telling you.

For a host to offer resources anywhere near 25GB of disk (and/or) 1TB bandwidth for only $15 they are massively overselling. You are wanting someone who offers this amount of resources but doesn't oversell, but you are expecting them to charge you less for your package than the cost to them and that is not going to happen.

The only way you will find what you need is on a host that massively oversells and by going with them you must be open to the chance that you will need to move at any time because your usage is too high. If you want to remove this possibility, you need to either drop your requirements or raise your budget considerably.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Betty,
    Are you aware that powweb has doubled their disk space and bandwidth? Since you enjoyed their service previously, would these new limits be viable?

Please correct me if I have strayed wildly from the path here.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YetiHost-Wullie
    You are not taking in what we have been telling you.

For a host to offer resources anywhere near 25GB of disk (and/or) 1TB bandwidth for only $15 they are massively overselling. You are wanting someone who offers this amount of resources but doesn't oversell, but you are expecting them to charge you less for your package than the cost to them and that is not going to happen.

The only way you will find what you need is on a host that massively oversells and by going with them you must be open to the chance that you will need to move at any time because your usage is too high. If you want to remove this possibility, you need to either drop your requirements or raise your budget considerably.
    No, you're not getting what she has been telling you.
    She asked for recommendations -- not a lesson on why overselling can be fatal for her site.

There's more than enough providers out there who can fit the description you're after bettyAnn.

A few of the 'larger' oversellers who seem to be a-okay:

www.hostrocket.com -- 25gigs of space, unlimited bandwidth. I actually hosted a site with them that was unable to operate on my dual xeons due to the cpu load. They didn't complain a single time.

www.dreamhost.com -- support is a tad slow with this one. Their clustering system should allow you to utilize quite a bit more than most hosts without getting nailed.

Enjoy.
      0 Not allowed!

* Unfortunately I can't change my post after 15 minutes, so I have to split it up into two posts. *

-- NB: The following section is largely aimed at providing information rather than advice, so skip it if you don't feel like reading much --

If the new limits put in place by powweb meet your requirements, then you're fine in the storage and bandwidth department (providing powweb provides what they have promised). I get the feeling that you may have slightly misunderstood what was originally said in this thread. YetiHost-Wullie was saying that you may be able to actually use the allotted storage and bandwidth of overselling web hosts, but what you cannot do is use too many server resources.

The reason for this is that overselling web hosts operate off the principle that only a VERY small percentage of their users will actually use anywhere near the provided disk space and transfer. This enables the host to account for the odd user that is actually capable of using up all provided storage and bandwidth. The other factor that enables these hosts (at least the really big ones) to sell so many resources is their purchasing power. Because they have so many users, these hosts can purchase massive amounts of disk space (e.g. clustered file storage servers) and bandwidth, thus meaning that they are capable of handling the odd user utilizing their allotted bandwidth and storage.

-- End of informative section --

What I think may be the problem with your website is not so much its storage and bandwidth requirements (although they are surprising, I guess a testimony to your site's success), but rather CPU usage. Even though a host MAY be able to provide you with the quoted bandwidth and storage, what they CANNOT do is allow you to hog the CPU on a server hosting 300+ people (if oversold). So what you need to do is find some way to reduce CPU usage. One way I could think of to do this would be to migrate your script that limits users to 3 downloads per IP per day from what I assume is some sort or server side scripting such as php (?) with a MySQL backend (?) to client side solution e.g. JavaScript and cookies. The JavaScript and cookie combination would (at least the way I see it) be doing the same thing as your current script and database solution, the advantage being that all resource intensive tasks are re-allocated to the user's computer, thus saving on your host's resources.

If you could provide a better description of your script I might be able to give more accurate advice.

I don't know how viable this would actually be for your website, or wether it will be helpful at all but hopefully you gain something useful from this post .
      0 Not allowed!

Dreamhost or midphase

Hey BettyAnn, just want you to know that I feel your pain, no-one answering your question. In fact, I registered for this site just to answer you. Real pain too, their image verification (where you type in the squiggly letters to submit your signup) was so fuzzy I had to try 5 times!
    There's a great article at ascii(dot)textfiles(dot)com/archives/000189.html by a guy who got dumped by his host and found happiness with dreamhost, and I've signed up with midphase for some high bandwidth hosting on the recommendation of an online marketer who uses lots of resources. Both will more than handle your specs for under $10/mo.
    Good luck!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David
    No, you're not getting what she has been telling you.
    She asked for recommendations -- not a lesson on why overselling can be fatal for her site.
    David,

Are you telling us that she will have no problems with using these resources at the hosts you provided or are you giving suggestions where the OP *might* be able to host but might also get kicked shortly afterwards? The OP asked for hosts where she would have no surprises down the road because of the resource usage, not for hosts where she may be or not be able to.

The OP thinks it unreasonable for them to pay $60 for a personal site, yet they see no reason why a host should not provide them with more than $60 worth of hosting for $15. The OP needs to understand the reason they are going to bounce from host to host otherwise they will continue to expect the low cost hosts to provide what they claim to even on a high resource site and there comes a point where that is not going to happen. I am doing nothing other than making them see the reality of what they are asking for and based on their comments, they clearly do not understand the overselling game as they think they can find a host that provides this without overselling.
      0 Not allowed!

Have you tried putting a donation button on your website? or even thought about charging people for whatever your providing.

With the amount of visitors your getting im sure you will get a few donations each month which will help cover the costs of hosting.

(Sorry if anyone has suggested this already i just quickly looked over the posts)
      0 Not allowed!

Ok guys, can someone RECOMMEND A HOST? ANY HOST?? I asked for that in my first post, and after 12 responses, not ONE PERSON has recommended ANY HOST?
    No, you asked for advice and suggestions. Had you asked for recommendations, I doubt anyone could recommend one at your anticipated specs and budget.

Disclaimer: I am not a host and have no wish to be
      0 Not allowed!

Seems like you work for a hosting company... you're a bit biased to answer, don't you think?

It's also unrealistic to expect me to pay $60/month for a personal website.
    See!!!

Its people like you that make hosts oversell.

You use $60 worth of space and bandwidth and resources yet you say its unrealistic for you to pay for what you use?

That makes a lot of sense.

My advice? Keep your website offline if your not willing to pay what it costs to keep it running right. You want some host to hand you the moon for $15 a month, thats crazy!
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RH-Steve
    See!!!

Its people like you that make hosts oversell.
    It's not people like her who make hosts oversell. Hosts chose to oversell on their own for marketing purposes.

The problem is that people see the pricing elsewhere and are led to believe that it's the 'norm' (although these days I guess it is) and that all hosts should be able to sell at those prices to stay afloat.

Quantity over quality. If a consumer chooses the latter they'll be paying more. If the consumer chooses the first they'll be paying a lot more with hassles
      0 Not allowed!

BettyAnn, I hate to say it, but you are a victim of overselling marketing schemes. Your expectations regarding the availability of resources at a certain price have been set at grossly unrealistic levels, and it's mostly not your fault. You probably looked for most data transfer/disk space at the lowest price, found a bunch of huge oversellers, and you've come to expect that $15 buys you what is, in essense the amount of resources an entire server would need to power dozens, even hundreds of accounts.

The reason you're bouncing around now, and the reason you'll probably continue to bounce, is that hosts who say they can handle your needs at that price are betting on you not actually using it. They are also counting on your site to not put a strain on the server CPU(s). But you will use it, and in the course of doing so, you will strain the CPU(s) to the point where you will be kicked out of servers, one at a time, until you're left with no site at all.

I couldn't in good conscience recommend a host within your budget, because in two months, you'd be yelling at me for recommending yet another host who can't handle your site. Your desire to get a whole lot of resources for next to nothing will not change the fact that the hosting industry doesn't support your perceived hosting model. This means at some point you're going to have to change your expectations. You can do it sooner, save yourself some pain, figure out a way to raise a little money every month and live happily ever after, or you can play musical-hosts and come out of this as frustrated as ever.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but history shows me I'm not.

Bottom line. You believe what you're asking for is normal. A whole mess of people are telling you this is not right. You can choose to believe us, or you can cling to your norm, but it's not going to change how things work.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Quantity over quality. If a consumer chooses the latter they'll be paying more. If the consumer chooses the first they'll be paying a lot more with hassles
    This sentence pretty much sums up this whole thread, and obviously the OP is concerned about Quantity over Quality.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    Bottom line. You believe what you're asking for is normal. A whole mess of people are telling you this is not right. You can choose to believe us, or you can cling to your norm, but it's not going to change how things work.
    I couldn't have explained it better. Props!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing
      0 Not allowed!

I know.

I've already said why I can't go back with Powweb... I'm looking for something comparable to Powweb in terms of reliability, but that offers more bandwidth.
    FYI PowWeb doubled the ds and bw in Jan for all accounts- still under a TB though- so you'll have to keep an eye on usage
    http://www.powweb.com/info/systemnotice.bml?id=3235
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast