Web hosting for high traffic sites?

My main website (ragnasim.net) is a character simulator for Ragnarok Online that has generated 4.6 million hits so far. Each day I get around 6,000 - 9,000 hits/page loads, and the nature of my site makes for a lot of content being downloaded (though I'm working on reducing it significantly). The site can use up around 2-3GB of bandwidth a day, taking up almost 100GB a month. It runs mostly on HTML and javascript for now, and I would like to have a support forum of some sort again (as of now, there are no client side scripts yet).

Right now on Dreamhost, the only page that is viewable is the index. The pages with the actual simulator always time out, giving me "Service Temporarily Unavailable" meaning it's hit the shared hosting limit. I can't have this happen as it is.

So what webhosts out there will support a site that takes up a lot of bandwidth and several thousand connections a day? I'm seeing a lot of good deals, but without comments from people with high traffic sites, I'm sort of at a loss.

What you're looking to do can't happen on a standard shared account, you'll need either a VPS or a host that will provide you with a shared account that allows more resource usage. Expect to be paying $50+ for a reliable and good solution. Make sure you use that traffic to make some revenue...

I would suggest you lookin to the possibility of upgrading to a small dedicated server or look for a enterprise hosting web host. You should be able to get a good dedicated server for around $100 a month.

Do you have a budget to work with?

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    What you're looking to do can't happen on a standard shared account, you'll need either a VPS or a host that will provide you with a shared account that allows more resource usage. Expect to be paying $50+ for a reliable and good solution. Make sure you use that traffic to make some revenue...
    Ouch, I was hoping that wouldn't happen. My budget is pretty low and revenue I get off the site is pretty much non-existant. This is actually my first time hearing about VPS, so I'll look into it, but I'm hoping for something cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEnd
    Do you have a budget to work with?
    I do, but so far its been pretty low, like $10-20 a month. $100 a month is like buying a new hard drive everymonth, and I doubt I'd have enough to pay for that.

What type of space requirements do you have?

How many Visitors/Uniques a day are you receiving?

Quote Originally Posted by BPrintz
    What type of space requirements do you have?

How many Visitors/Uniques a day are you receiving?
    For the website with all the problems, not much space is really required. Right now I use up around 200-300 MB. The actual simulator is only 20MB, made up of mostly images and a few javascript files. Everything else is from a second website I run (which isn't affected at all), and just personal use (making go up to 900MB, but thats stuff I can delete without a care).

As for Visitors/Uniques a day, its like 3600/7200 average. Dreamhost believes I may be under attack, so I'll be looking at my logs for the next few weeks.

The VPS servers look very inticing, but I its going to be awhile before I muster up the budget for even paying quarterly.

For a site that is pure HTML / javascript you should be able to host that almost anywhere. I do not see why you need a VPS. Serving static files takes almost no resources compared to dynamic sites based on PHP / MySQL.

I know and it urks me that I've been running into these problems. At first I was running into CPU Minute problems since it ran mostly on PHP pages. I got rid of them and switched totally to HTML and now I get connection limits.

Dreamhost was fast and reliable until the CPU Minute thing. Its been crazy ever since. Blocking IPs seems to be the only way I can prevent my site from completely being killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zharay
    and I would like to have a support forum of some sort again (as of now, there are no server side scripts yet).
    The reason I mentioned a VPS was because the OP wanted to implement scripting in the future.

What would you recommend if I didn't go with scripting in the future? VPS sounds good, but anything cheaper would be really awesome.

Something a bit more on the reliable side, I'd say be prepared to pay $15+ per month. And start generating revenue from the site, that's key, because as your site will grow, so will your hosting bill!

Just curious, why did dreamhost suspend your site?

Dreamhost hasn't suspended my site at all yet. As it is right now, I get 503 errors. Their support is saying that my website is exceeding the limit of connections and they cannot increase it. They hint at the fact that my site may be under attack, which would explain why I'm hitting the limit. So like I've said, I'm still going to look into it, but I've been hitting that limit on and off the entire time I've been with them and its really getting annoying. It litterally just breaks my site.

I got to admit that the site really is really image heavy. A single user will probably download up to a hundred images and thats just under a few minutes. But these are small 5x5 1kb images. I'll be cutting it down, but its going to take a lot of time.

Talking with people in other forums have lead me to another option which is to use reseller hosting that is reliable.

Is this even possible? I wasn't even aware that you could use a reseller account as a viable hosting plan. So I'm really in the dark when it comes to this. And if it is possible, is it just as bad as shared hosting with all the hidden limits or is it more forgiving?

I wouldn't say reseller hosting offers you much more, you basically receive the ability to resell hosting accounts and a bigger bill. Basically it all leads down to, you get what you pay for -- pay more, get more quality.

The script is probably your real problem, not the bandwidth or number of page hits. The script is probably what is causing the problems with shared hosting (I've run into similar problems myself).

Powwebs.com is a good host; they offer lots of bandwidth and storage space. But I would ask them about running your scripts there... post on their forums; you will get a lot of helpful responses.

Sounds like you're bumping up against some CPU resource restrictions. With 100GB used monthly have you considered moving to a small VPS? You wouldn't have resource restriction issues with a VPS.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.