Thread: Video Hosting

Video Hosting

Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for site that will host videos. I suppose it doesn't really matter that it's videos I'm hosting, the important thing is the security. A bit of background:

I know someone who has a website that requires it's members to login. Inside their members zone he wants to put links for the user's to download the videos. If the member needs to enter their username/password again to download the video that isn't a big deal. The important thing is that the URL of the video can't be passed around by email and downloaded without any credentials entered.

Does hosting of type exist or am I just dreaming

Also the reason that it can't be hosted on the same servers as the webhost is because there is a company doing the site and they are charging ridiculous prices to host a video.

Any help appreciated!

Most hosts will not provide the needed software for you to protect your videos unless you place them in a password protected directory using cpanel. If you do it that way you will have to manually add each user to the protected folder, so they can access it.

However, if the person gives out the username and password that will completely negate the whole process. You would probably be best looking for a php web designer that can design a cms for you, so they have to both login to download, and have it setup so they can only download once. The php script will also have to protect the files.

So, i think getting a coder do do the cms needed would pobably be the best way for you to share your videos, without everyone getting the link to download. Keep in mind, no matter how hard you try the videos or whatever will always slip out one way or another

As for a host you will probably have to look into getting a small vps unit to share your videos on, as most hosts will greatly limit you on space/bandwidth/ or even how many movies they allow. Also with a vps you can always upgrade in the future to a dedicated box, or somthing, and you will already have the knowledge from running you vps.

Keep in mind, you can also use a windows based system for streaming your videos using Abyss web server (It Is Free! ) or apache, somthing along those lines.

Hope that helps.

Lane

Cheers Deadend,

There is plenty in there that I don't know about, so will have to google for the info. You can be sure I'll be back on to ask any questions that come up in the meantime.

Cheers!

Are you looking at offering just downloads or are you considering video streaming as well? There's a whole different genre of web hosts that offer video streaming services.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw Networks
    Are you looking at offering just downloads or are you considering video streaming as well? There's a whole different genre of web hosts that offer video streaming services.
    I'm open to both to be honest, very new to it all. If you can lend any advice it'd be appreciated.

There are download scriopts that will cookie the recipient and essentially lock anyone else out from snatching the URL. Also some download links come as a hash to circumvent being intercepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Web
    There are download scriopts that will cookie the recipient and essentially lock anyone else out from snatching the URL. Also some download links come as a hash to circumvent being intercepted.
    Hi Highland,

Is there a name for this particular type of downloads and do you know of any hosts that offer this service?

Cheers.

What I believe you're looking for is a system, not just a php class to integrate with something else you (or somebody else) wrote.

PayPal has a number of shopping / download scripts associated with it that encrypt the url.

Also, I believe ZenCart will hash the url as well. (recommended)
    There are probably other sources.

Do a search on HotScripts for 'downloads'.

These will all protect the seller from the wrong fingers getting into the pie.

Just about any host today will be able to provide you with these tools.