Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Downtownhost vs A Small Orange vs Lunarpages Mudwrestling

Hey guys. (That's a unisex word here.)

I use mud wrestling as a figurative term here, but you know what I mean. I'll get straight to the point. Right now, I'm trying to decide between Downtownhost, A Small Orange, and Lunarpages as my new site's host. This site doesn't actually exist yet, so bandwidth numbers are only guesstimations, but I know I want a shared hosting environment, at least for now. The site will very likely have multiple SQL databases as I will be using Wordpress and gallery software. I also plan on hosting other, much smaller, websites from the same account so addon domains are a must. I would also prefer to pay for 3 or 6 months before I commit to a year. Here's how the hosts measure up:

DTH 7GB storage, 250GB trans, Unlimited Domains, Lots of payment options
    LP 250GB storage, 2500 trans, 10 Domains, 3&6Mo plans have $30 setup fee
    ASO 1GB storage, 25 trans, Unlimited Domains, Monthly (Discount if Yearly)

All have unlimited SQL databases and excellent uptime (ASO is 99.7% compared to 99.9% the others have though). I've read nothing but good things about Downtownhost, and I've heard good things about Lunarpages. I even called them up yesterday and asked about their overselling policy. Apparently LP's trans numbers only got crazy about six months ago when they had to adapt to maintain their growth (apparently).

I've emailed the hosts with important questions, most of which are on WH Reviews. At this point, I'm just curious as to what y'alls experiences are with these hosts. I'll post my conclusions from the emails when they come in. I plan to call LP since they don't actually answer sales questions by email. Strange.

Thanks in advance, you guys are the rock stars of the hosting world.
      0 Not allowed!

ASO and LP are both good hosts.

Also checking the uptime of site is questionable because usually its pointing to the main domain via http and check at intervals for it to go down. Most hosts have more then one server so when a site goes down it doest mean there whole network went down.

Also its not going to take in account for "scheduled" downtime. ASO moved to a new datacenter recently and could have had something to do with the 99.7% which is still really good anyway. And i know for a fact that the aso site runs on a dedicated server dedicated to only the ASO site which is hosted at the planet. Their client servers are at gnax.
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!
      0 Not allowed!

I would use the following chart provided by hyperspin to verify the uptime claims, as many hosts tend to "skew" things around.

http://www.hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=1

One example, Lunar pages: 98.463% Uptime
      0 Not allowed!

DTH 7GB storage, 250GB trans, Unlimited Domains, Lots of payment options
    LP 250GB storage, 2500 trans, 10 Domains, 3&6Mo plans have $30 setup fee
    ASO 1GB storage, 25 trans, Unlimited Domains, Monthly (Discount if Yearly)
    Those plans are too different to be compared. Depending on your needs and your budget, you should choose the one that best suits your needs. Don't pick the one that offers 1000x more than what you need for extremely cheap price, because you won't be able to use it anyways.

My guess would be that ASO's plan would suit you perfectly and you should have no problem with them since your web site is new, and when it starts growing, you can upgrade to their next available plan.
      0 Not allowed!

I compare them because they're in my price range: $10, $10, & $7 respectively.

Both hosts have responded to my emails. Of notice:
    DTH has been around for 5 years, ASO 2.5 years.
    For DTH, my account is automatically suspended (meaning 404 for the rest of the month) if I exceed the already huge bandwidth limit. ASO charges 50 cents per gb over. Going to have to ask if that's optional.

They're are pretty similar, actually. DTH just seems to oversell more, roughly 10x more.

Any DTH clients care to chime in? Or even better, people who have used both?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanada
    I compare them because they're in my price range: $10, $10, & $7 respectively.

Both hosts have responded to my emails. Of notice:
    DTH has been around for 5 years, ASO 2.5 years.
    For DTH, my account is automatically suspended (meaning 404 for the rest of the month) if I exceed the already huge bandwidth limit. ASO charges 50 cents per gb over. Going to have to ask if that's optional.

They're are pretty similar, actually. DTH just seems to oversell more, roughly 10x more.

Any DTH clients care to chime in? Or even better, people who have used both?
    ASO automatically suspends your site as well, but you have the option of purchasing more bandwidth at $0.50 per GB.
      0 Not allowed!

So I'm literally comparing Apples to Oranges here? (haha)

These companies look really close, but judging from the available information, does that just indicate the DTH is overselling more?

Any DTH people with their thoughts?
      0 Not allowed!

ASO has stated that they don't allow overselling. A-ha. But it seems that most people on this forum believe that's impossible.

I guess the question at this point is, how many people at DTH are going to try to use 7GB of storage and 250GB of transfer. Do I want to be in an overselling environment?

Another thing, I'm having trouble visualizing what 25GB of transfer would look like. Say each visitor saw an average of 3 pages at 60KB each and downloaded an average of 0.5 full-size photos that would weigh about 800KB each probably. That's what, 45.1 thousand views? Sound about right?
      0 Not allowed!

Another thing, I'm having trouble visualizing what 25GB of transfer would look like. Say each visitor saw an average of 3 pages at 60KB each and downloaded an average of 0.5 full-size photos that would weigh about 800KB each probably. That's what, 45.1 thousand views? Sound about right?
    25gb of bandwidth should be plenty for you
      0 Not allowed!

25G is excellent, for now. I could see 250GB being much more flexible as my site grows.

Besides storage and transfer, what are the main differences between these hosts? I see ASO has an excellent forum, but what does DTH have in it's favor?
      0 Not allowed!

I would focuse on the costumer service rather than technicall features (I dont know too much about it either)... with just 10% of what they offer you will have enough for long time.

Im sponsorized by DTH so maybe I have a special attention... but the fact is the costumer service at DTH is the very best. Specially if you went with Midphase previously
      0 Not allowed!

Sergio, which plan do you have?
      0 Not allowed!

I have the most basic plan... I plain a wordpress blog at www.sosnewbie.com and I have www.sosfactory.net and www.sosfactory.com under the same account.

I have spend 4gb bandwicht/month for all together (around 4000 visits/month) and less than 2gb of space (even having files for costumer there)... its because I say the quality of the costumer service is more important, specially if you have no idea of technical issues and the site is launching.

If you are more advanced user or have resources to do a big site from the beginning I guess the size and bandwicht become more important.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree. Customer service is very important in a hosting company. So DTH's customer service is that good, huh?
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, for now I have no complaints.
      0 Not allowed!

And how long have you been with them?
      0 Not allowed!

ASO has stated that they don't allow overselling. A-ha. But it seems that most people on this forum believe that's impossible.

I guess the question at this point is, how many people at DTH are going to try to use 7GB of storage and 250GB of transfer. Do I want to be in an overselling environment?

I use to host with ASO and they never lied to me. I believe 200% it when they say that they don't oversell.

This is a very simple comparision to me. ASO is the best shared host i have ever seen period! You can be sure that you can use all the resouces that they give you. <<< >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 01-21-2007 at 02:37 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Post Lunarpages a good choice...

Just to add a little to the Lunarpages end of things, I think they would be a good choice for you Vanada. With the recent storage/bandwidth increases being implemented plus the addition of 10 add on domains instead of just the one previously and the recent reduction in domain name registrations through them...it just plain makes sense to me that Lunarpages would be a better overall choice.

And before you ask...yes, I am hosted with them. Been there for a little over 3 years now and have two active domains running and a couple sub-domains that are comprised of a couple Wordpress blogs and a Forum (SMF) for my family.

I also have most all of my clients hosted at Lunarpages too. That's how much I think of them. All (including mine) are hosted on the Basic Plan and to date, have not had any issues.

I'm a bit confused as to why they didn't answer any of your pre-sales questions via email because they have a policy of answering a sales question in 15 minutes. I know they do answer pre-sales questions in their Forums as well as by phone.

Well, that's my two cents. Can't offer an opinion on the other two choices as I have no first hand knowledge of them and I would rather leave you with an honest opinion of the one I do have experience with.
      0 Not allowed!

What domain do you have hosted with them Merlin?
      0 Not allowed!

re Lunarpages : Been there for a little over 3 years now and have two active domains running and a couple sub-domains that are comprised of a couple Wordpress blogs and a Forum (SMF) for my family.

What,exactly, is the difference between having two "active" domains and having "add-on" domains? I am *this* close to going with Lunarpages and am wondering what the practical and theoretical differences are between the two 'types' of domains in their setup are ...if any
      0 Not allowed!

Wonderful, someone slams a company and the company defends back. I laughed at that quick rebuttal. Only at WHT...

Thank you very much for your review of LP, Merlin. I appreciate it. To be honest, I couldn't find a sales email address anywhere on the site, just the phone number.

And speaking of overselling, if I follow Moha's logic, LP should be 10 times worse than DTH because it oversell 10 times more. Right?
    Last edited by Vanada; 01-21-2007 at 08:54 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinsLair
    With the recent storage/bandwidth increases being implemented plus the addition of 10 add on domains instead of just the one previously
    This is actually a major move into the budget account territory. Massive space & transfer + 10 addon domains means that new accounts could lead the servers to be much more loaded than before. A similar process when Site5 started its downward spiral. Some budget hosts manage this and to maintain their standards (though these are not the same standards as are attainable by non-budget hosts) and others don't.

The only bits of advice I would give are
    • if you want speed and reliability, don't go with a budget host
    • if you know you only want a limited amount of space and bandwidth, don't go for a host that gives massively more

0 Not allowed!

I find this of interest: http://www.hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=1

Over the past 106 days, 10 DTH servers have averaged higher than 99.9% uptime.
      0 Not allowed!

I find this of interest: http://www.hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=1

Over the past 106 days, 10 DTH servers have averaged higher than 99.9% uptime.
    And 1&1 are at 99.964% (vs 9.931%) for 845 days (one server only).
      0 Not allowed!

Right, but I have no faith in 1&1. That's another story.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast