Question Dedicated Gaming Server Specs / Companies (HL2 Mods)

Hey guys,

Im not to sure if anyone around these parts knows much about running hl2 gaming servers but I thought I would ask, just in case. So, does anyone know if the following machine;

Dual 3.2 Ghz HT (Irwindale)
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    36GB SCSI HDD
    100mbit Uplink
    2000GB Bandwidth

Would be able to handle the following gaming load.

20 slot server @ 66 tick (cs source death match server, always full)
    20 slot server @ 66 tick (cs source gun game server, usually busy)
    26 slot server @ 66 tick (cs source normal server, full at night)
    12 slot server @ 66 tick (cs source surf server, not to busy)
    10 slot server @ 100 tick (used for matches & scrims only)

I guess what im asking is would this machine be able to handle 80 slots @ 66 tick with them all being full. Also, 10 slots at 100 tick. If this machine could handle more then what I want to do, that would be excellent, i would love to have some head room. The above servers are a minimum for me though.

Also if anyone knows of any reputable dedicated server providers in the chicago area, could you please share the names with me. Ive found several in dallas but unfortunatly that's to far from me, im in canada

Cheers!

Chris

20 slot server @ 66 tick (cs source death match server, always full) = 30+% CPU usage peak
    20 slot server @ 66 tick (cs source gun game server, usually busy) = 25-30% CPU usage peak
    26 slot server @ 66 tick (cs source normal server, full at night) = 25-30% CPU Usage peak
    12 slot server @ 66 tick (cs source surf server, not to busy) = 15% CPU Usage peak
    10 slot server @ 100 tick (used for matches & scrims only) = 20% Usage peak.

now do the figures, baring in mind for smooth playing you wont want more than 80% used at peak and generally not spending too long above the 60% usage mark, with Server Load not rising above 3.00 otherwise shot registration will start dipping and fps will become very inconsistent and start bottoming out.

Personally id say you would be far better off with an E6600 @ 2.4GHz which will handle things nicer, or ideally a single Clovertown @ 1.6GHz
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

Not sure about the server handling that many, i dont have a ton of experience with hl2. But i do have quite a bit of experience in other FPS' and recently rented a server from serveraxis.net
    I dont know if they resell or what, but their located in chicago, and their network was always top notch. We never had any packetloss issues or high pings. We had a guy living in canada that played with us and his latency was usually around 15-20ms (suprisingly). Only complaints we ever recieved were from west coasters, every one else seemed to enjoy the connection.

Also we had another host (colostore.com) which was pretty solid also. Also located in chicago the latency was almost identical to serveraxis, but we did have a few packetloss issues with colostore from time to time.

Anyway, good hunting

basically im saying that during the main playing hours, the dual-xeon above wont handle it, if his predictions on slot usage are correct.

basically, its a 50% minimum base, ( server 1 + 2 ) with it risihng to 70%-80% usage at night when server 3 is full. that means that at peak time ( late eveing/night ) you have 20% idle cpu left which is jsut about enough to keep the first 3 servers running in any sort of smooth fashion. adding a 100 tick match server will crap the box out. to ensure that the 100 tick runs well, then when a match is on, the total usage of every other server on the box should nto exceed 50% total. or you will be kneeling and praying for a streak of luck

Hey Guys, Thanks for the quick responces!

I currently am renting the above 5 game servers so i know what to expect for their traffic, they are all quite busy, especially in the evening hours. Id like to get a server that could easily do the load i mentioned and then some. For example, a lot of guys in my community would like to have a Day of Defeat source server too. Quality is very important to us though, i dont want servers where the hitboxes are 'unhittable'.

The biggest problem I am having is that there are so many darn processors to choose from, i dont know what to go with. The place Im currently looking to rent from has these options for processors;

Quad Core Xeon 5320, Clovertown 1.8Ghz
    Dual Core Dual Xeon 5050, Dempsey 4x2mb Cache, 4 x 3.0Ghz Processors w/HT
    Dual Core Dual Xeon 5130, Woodcrest 4x2mb Cache, 4 x 2.0Ghz Processors

Other then just looking at prices, i dont really know which way to go. When i google for a comparison chart of the xeon processors i dont really understand what it's telling me. The woodcrest is more then i want to spend to be honest. That leaves the clovertown & dempsey to choose between. Any suggestions? perhaps you could tell me briefly why one would be better over the other.
    Last edited by disconnect81; 01-17-2007 at 05:22 PM.

if it was me id take the quad core clovertown OR the 5050 (would show up a total of 8 cpu cores if you include the h/t) but the quad core one is better still if its in your budget

The single quad core is actually cheaper then the dempsey machine. that's what throws me off.

So, with that quad core, id be able to do my load with no problem you think? as well as have a little room for growth perhaps?

quad core will be cheaper as its newer technology and less physical hardware (one chip rather than 2, which means the host can use a more basic server mainborad etc so save cost. and yea i would say the quad core wud cope fine with those servers

If I were you, I would get the woodcrests. They might have a slower clock speed and no ht, but they are much better processors.

Amfr, i know that they are better, but they are also out of my price range because of it. They are at least $60usd/month more.

Are you reading the dempsey right? A single 5050 is (2X3.00ghz) with two virtual HT cores. An E6600 (Xeon 3060) should have no problem running those servers, I run a handful of CS game servers off a 5050 machine.

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalJihad
    Are you reading the dempsey right? A single 5050 is (2X3.00ghz) with two virtual HT cores. An E6600 (Xeon 3060) should have no problem running those servers, I run a handful of CS game servers off a 5050 machine.
    I don't really know what you mean, sorry, the modle numbers really confuse me. What is a 3060? does that one have a name like the others?

The 5050 machine above is actually dual 5050's. It should be able to handle the load im looking at eh?

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalJihad

If your referring to the Core Duo "E6600" that would be a 2.4ghz machine.

Quote Originally Posted by disconnect81
    I don't really know what you mean, sorry, the modle numbers really confuse me. What is a 3060? does that one have a name like the others?

The 5050 machine above is actually dual 5050's. It should be able to handle the load im looking at eh?

I believe the other poster is referencing "single" CPU machines of the same name.

It does get confusing but I believe you are pricing out machines that are "Dual CPU/Dual Core which is a big difference.

Hey Rich, I just tried to call you.

As you can see, ive been busy researching these darn processors all day. On various forums and reading lots of websites. It seems like im going to need quite a bit of power for what im looking to do. If you're going to be up for a while, give me a shout, my phone number is on the email I sent you the other day.

In the mean time, ill keep reading ahah.

No problem. Just taking a quick break

I'll be here for a few more hours if you decide to call back.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon|Rich
    If your referring to the Core Duo "E6600" that would be a 2.4ghz machine.
    Yes, it's a Dual core 2.4ghz processor, outperforms a single 5050 (Dual 3ghz).
    Last edited by PersonalJ; 01-17-2007 at 09:17 PM.

in terms of performance
    Quad Core Xeon 5320, Clovertown 1.8Ghz <--- great choice as its 4 physcial execution cores, which on a tweaked linux kernel of 1000Hz gives you total interupt frequency of 4000Hz across the machine. Also you ahve the option of adding anotehr quad-core in the future with no OS / Chassis changes. Also allows good isolation for the servers particular when they are busy or are high-ticrate
    Total GHz = 4x1.8GHz, Total Interrupts = 4x1000Hz, Total Cache = 8mb, Total FSB = 1333Mhz

Dual Core Dual Xeon 5050, Dempsey 4x2mb Cache, 4 x 3.0Ghz Processors w/HT
    This is 4 physical cores of NetBurst Architecture as opposed to the newer Core Architecture of Clovertown/Woodcrest. The execution cores are longer and as a result have hyperthreading to allow the pipes to execute 2 threads together.
    Total GHz = 4x3.0GHz ( equivalent to 4x1.6GHz of Core Architecture compared purely in cpu cycles), Total Interrupts = 4x1000Hz, Total Cache = 4x2mb ( not as good as single shared 8mb ), Total FSB = 667MHz ( FSB is shared with both CPU's)

Dual Core Dual Xeon 5130, Woodcrest 4x2mb Cache, 4 x 2.0Ghz Processors
    Another excellent choice for busy multiple server game servers. Also a core achitecture chip this is a monster.

Total GHz = 4x2.0GHz, Total Interrupts = 4x1000Hz, Total Cache = 2x4mb, Total FSB = 1333Mhz.

The big hurting point with Dempseys, are a) only 2mb cache per core, so a single core cannot use more than 2mb, whereas with the clovertown, a single core could use 8mb if needed.

Also, since the dempseys have HT, you would have 8 virtual cores, and if you are running 5 servers above, then each server is limited to 1.5GHz maximum usage each, with 4.5GHz never going to be used ( HL is single threaded ) so consider this too. Thats equivalent to having .8GHz per server on a Core-based system.
    On the clovertown above for example. if we neglect the 'quiet' server, then you effectively have 1.8Ghz available to each server, with it being possible to fully utilise the whole chip.

If you try turning off HT to utilise more CPU you will find shot registration going to crap.

jNive, thanks for typing that all out man, very informative for sure. It actually clears up a few of the things I was confused about. Especially all the cache's.

I have a Dual Xeon from www.Steadfast.net (amazing network for gaming).

We run several CSS servers on it (as of now) most are @ 100 Tickrate. We manage to run about 4 servers on it (1 public, 3 privates). 1 24 man public @ 66 tickrate, 3 privates @ 100 tickrate (used often). Runs great.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Gigenet.com has dual core dual woodcrest 5140's on their site right now for $279/mo. Their network is awesome for gaming. Save yourself quite a bit of money over some of the others recommended here and get higher specs to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by mj4589
    Gigenet.com has dual core dual woodcrest 5140's on their site right now for $279/mo. Their network is awesome for gaming. Save yourself quite a bit of money over some of the others recommended here and get higher specs to boot.
    Not only is their network very fast and reliable, but their support is great too (very friendly and fast response times).

thanks guys, checking that out now. does anyone know anything about 'globex' as a backbone in chicago. good? bad?

Quote Originally Posted by disconnect81
    thanks guys, checking that out now. does anyone know anything about 'globex' as a backbone in chicago. good? bad?
    Never heard of it...