Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

93 percent of Linux users are male

I just stumbled on this Linux survey via Digg. According to it, 93% of Linux users are male, which may not be a huge surprise...

http://www.gridter.com/cgi-bin/surve...ey_name=survey

I wonder what the female percentage on WHT is?

Quote Originally Posted by Pingdom
    I wonder what the female percentage on WHT is?

Here is a snipit from our media kit:
    Site Demographics
    Male 95%
    18-34 69%

The technology sector heavily biased toward males but that is slowly changing.

The fact is that female users do not like getting trouble in their PC. Most of them are not tech users.

Quote Originally Posted by Biju
    The fact is that female users do not like getting trouble in their PC. Most of them are not tech users.
    Could be they have better things to do with their time than fuss with a machine... you, things like live a life?
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

This is not surprizing I dont think I have met a "hot" linux girl..

Have you

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    Could be they have better things to do with their time than fuss with a machine... you, things like live a life?
    That is why i don't use Linux on my desktop. I installed that trash (desktop linux) on my computer two days ago and couldn't wait to get it off. Linux is fine on the server. But i would never used it on my desktop.

I think 93% of digg users are male.

Quote Originally Posted by mohamoud
    That is why i don't use Linux on my desktop. I installed that trash (desktop linux) on my computer two days ago and couldn't wait to get it off. Linux is fine on the server. But i would never used it on my desktop.
    What Linux distribution are you referring to? A Linux desktop is hardly trash.

Did you try booting windows, and running fixmbr?

Linux is for power users. Not regular home desktop users.

Don't get confused by my sig... I actually like linux ubuntu... I have it installed on a spare computer now.... running ok. I had an issue late last year where I installed but it hung after an update. Now that seems to be fixed.

Linux desktop is far from "trash" and works well for people in many situations... like a partner who got a computer, but no money to purchase windows xp (came with '98)... he installed linux... all he does is surf the web. Lot safer with linux than windows 98....

After vista is released I doubt if I'll keep linux though... or maybe only for testing purposes in a dual boot on my spare machine.... I'll shift all my license over and xp will go on the machine that has linux on it, and vista on my main machine....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Linux as a desktop is a waste of time, it really is. Don't people have better things to do than try find applications that will semi replace those that Windows seamlessly supports and executes without glitch?
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

I agrre with you partially. Though I don't see it as a 'waste of time'. Linux is not nearly mature enough for a desktop environment. But at the same time, it's a fantastic server operating system.

I don't see Linux ever being an issue in the home workstation market, but it's going to get bigger and bigger in the web market.

Now, here's a bit of interesting info. Of ALL fortune 1000 companies, IIS has 53% of the market, and linux/apache is less than 18%.

So it goes to show that the numbers can be drastically affected depending on all the data in any survey.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Quote Originally Posted by fastnoc
    Now, here's a bit of interesting info. Of ALL fortune 1000 companies, IIS has 53% of the market, and linux/apache is less than 18%.
    That's interesting. Is that from the Port80 survey from a few months ago?

93 percent of Linux users are male
    Yeah. But you cannot say same thing for Unix
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Pingdom
    That's interesting. Is that from the Port80 survey from a few months ago?
    They do one every year. but the one i found without searching was 2003. but if anything I'm sure it's more in MS's favor now than it was then.

Quote Originally Posted by fastnoc
    I agrre with you partially. Though I don't see it as a 'waste of time'. Linux is not nearly mature enough for a desktop environment. But at the same time, it's a fantastic server operating system.

I didn't comment on Linux as a server OS. All of my servers are powered by CentOS and FreeBSD. I love Linux as serverware, I love Linux whilst sitting at my comfortable Windows workstation logged in remotely.

So I re-iterate, Linux has many years to go before it is even close to maturity for desktop use hence is a complete waste of time as a PC, however for server use it is epic.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

I may have just come off wrong, but my intention was to agree with the statement you just made.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    Linux is for power users. Not regular home desktop users.
    Linux is not for power users only, Linux is for everyone.
    It's just a matter of habit, or some may say, bad habit.
    Best regards,
    Gil - ZoneServ.com.

I am female and I have been using Linux and the like since I was 11 years old (Now 21)

See, I dunno.

Most of you keep saying you don't have time to fiddle with stuff so you run Windows, whereas I agree, I don't have time to fiddle with stuff, so I run GNU/Linux.

You say it takes so much work finding things... I just type 'emerge <program>' and it gets installed. No fuss, no muss.

I will grant, if you use your PC primarily for playing the latest games (that don't come with linux execs readily available), or have centered your life around specific applications that only run under Windows, sure, Windows works for you. But don't just blindly say it isn't 'ready' or won't be 'ready' for years to come, because I've been using it for 4+ years as my desktop environment, and couldn't be happier with both the stability and productivity it brings.

Granted, I am a rather big Linux fan at this point, and I do deplore many of MS's business practices, but to me, after using GNU/Linux for 4 years as a desktop, Windows always seems to feel 'not ready' for the desktop whenever I have to use it. Especially for those of us who regularly administer Linux servers. SSH comes practically standard, and bash, and a myrad of other highly useful utilities that you have to install seporately in Windows, if you can find them at all.

It's all a matter of perspective, and usage. I basically stopped gaming on the PC when I started using it for work, so losing the ability to play the latest games easily didn't even bother me, others it will affect more.

In my opinion, it's not so much that Linux isn't ready for the desktop, it's that Linux doesn't fit everyone's needs. But then, neither does OS X or Windows, so maybe none of them are really ready for the desktop.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs