A nasty little problem with Godaddy

Hi everyone.

As per title, i'm in a nasty little situation with Godaddy over a couple of domains.

Basically I have a few "straggler" domains in an account that I bought from GoDaddy a while back and I wished to move them to my other account that holds all my other domains, a GoDaddy reseller account belonging to a friend. This is where my other 60-70 odd domains sit.

Transferring was becoming a nightmare because GoDaddy weren't helpful when I asked how to transfer away from them (ie they didnt tell me I could get the transfer codes from my account details). I had my codes to initiate the transfer but not the transfer acceptance codes from Godaddy.

So first things first, I made sure all my info was correct on the GoDaddy site. The email pointed to an out of date address so I modified it.

Then I found out the acceptance codes are available, if you know where to dig. Now though my domain transfers are being locked because the accounts wont accept a change for 60 days. The domains expire in 14 or so days.

I emailed Godaddy and said can you sort it. They basically replied "no, terms and conditions" but i'll be damned if i'm gonna pay for 2 domains 3 times over , i.e. I've already paid once to renew, then I'd have to pay Godaddy to renew so they don't get lost, then pay again to transfer them from GoDaddy.

Surely its borderline bad practice because I have in effect paid for goods that I will not receive, ie the first payment to godaddy just gets "lost ?"

Any ideas on this. I have replied asking them to move the complaint up the chain. If worst comes to worst can I make a direct appeal to Internic ?

Cheers

Stu
    24/7 Business - Adult Friendly Hosting.
    No Frills, just quality hosting on quality machines

Stu,

Your first payment does not get "lost". When you transfer your domain you will get a 1 year extension included with that transfer. So lets say you renew today and your domain now expires on 01-30-08, when you transfer your domain the new expiration date will be 01-30-09.

Stu,

It's actually a rule within just about each system I used (Not sure if it's direct from ICANN) but if you've made any modifications to a domain (e.g. renewed it) then you can't move it out of a specific provider for 60 days.

If you value the domains just renew them and save yourself the hassle of losing them. It's not a lot of fun.

Moved to domain name forum.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    It's actually a rule within just about each system I used (Not sure if it's direct from ICANN) but if you've made any modifications to a domain (e.g. renewed it) then you can't move it out of a specific provider for 60 days.
    No. There is NO such things. The "rule" actually only prohibits registrar transfers for domains that are either newly registered or already transferred between registrars in the last 60 days. Even renewals with the same registrar should NOT matter, not to say modifying whois contact. It is GoDaddy which makes up such "rules", in order to make transfer away difficult. Hope this clarifies a bit.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

This won't necessarily bring fruitful results, but try to complain to ICANN about it.
    Tell them Go Daddy is potentially violating ICANN transfer policies because their 60
    day restriction rule isn't part of it.

I recall one person here having done that months ago, and was able to get them
    out.

GoDaddy's rule is a GoDaddy rule, not an ICANN rule... it's somewhere in their small print, and you will have accepted it when you signed up with them, by clicking the "I accept your terms and conditions" box.

Registrars have to abide by ICANN rules, and GoDaddy's transfer rules may well be in breach of ICANN rules (i.e., they are blocking transfers when they shouldn't)... but getting ICANN to get GoDaddy to change their rules is not something that can be achieved overnight (if at all - because ICANN seems to prefer not to get involved unless it's absolutely necessary).

With only a few days to go your ONLY option is to renew those domains with GoDaddy and transfer them out later. As others have pointed out you're not actually going to lose anything because the transfer payment will renew the domains for a further year

Quote Originally Posted by StueyB
    Hi everyone.

As per title, i'm in a nasty little situation with Godaddy over a couple of domains.

Basically I have a few "straggler" domains in an account that I bought from GoDaddy a while back and I wished to move them to my other account that holds all my other domains, a GoDaddy reseller account belonging to a friend. This is where my other 60-70 odd domains sit.

Transferring was becoming a nightmare because GoDaddy weren't helpful when I asked how to transfer away from them (ie they didnt tell me I could get the transfer codes from my account details). I had my codes to initiate the transfer but not the transfer acceptance codes from Godaddy.

So first things first, I made sure all my info was correct on the GoDaddy site. The email pointed to an out of date address so I modified it.

Then I found out the acceptance codes are available, if you know where to dig. Now though my domain transfers are being locked because the accounts wont accept a change for 60 days. The domains expire in 14 or so days.

I emailed Godaddy and said can you sort it. They basically replied "no, terms and conditions" but i'll be damned if i'm gonna pay for 2 domains 3 times over , i.e. I've already paid once to renew, then I'd have to pay Godaddy to renew so they don't get lost, then pay again to transfer them from GoDaddy.

Surely its borderline bad practice because I have in effect paid for goods that I will not receive, ie the first payment to godaddy just gets "lost ?"

Any ideas on this. I have replied asking them to move the complaint up the chain. If worst comes to worst can I make a direct appeal to Internic ?

Cheers

Stu
    First you say "I've already paid once to renew", Who did you pay??
    The only one who can renew a Domain is the Registra it's at, IE Godaddy
    so why do ya have to pay them again?!

You mention "GoDaddy weren't helpful when I asked how to transfer
    away from them
    (ie they didnt tell me I could get the transfer codes from my account"
    did you request the transfer at the Registra you wanted them transfered to?
    You do know it's them that has to request the transfer from GoDaddy right?

When you change anything but an email addy on the owner whois it's NOT
    a GoDaddy rule it is ICANN 60 day rule.
    Any Name, Address, phone # change is like a new owner and is subject to
    the ICANN 60 day rule.
    That was put in place so any objections of Domain ownership can have the
    time to play out.
    Transfering to a GoDaddy affil of Wildwest doesn't make alot of sense.
    You'll pay more, have the same GD support and less stability..

If you need Authorization Codes log into your account, go to account manager,
    click on the domain name and on top of your contact info there's a link
    saying Authorization Code: Send by Email click that and they'll send ya the
    auth code you need for the transfer..

If you have to renew it at GD and still want to transfer it in 60 days you
    automatically get another year extension on the original exporation date
    which is the same as when you first reg'd it but a different year..
    Good Luck
    Last edited by ChiTown; 01-18-2007 at 06:33 AM.

Ok. So you've changed some registrant info on the domains in the last 60 days. It sounds like you've just done that. It's unfortunate they are close to expiry. You will have to renew them with godaddy. You will not lose anything since you will get 1 year added to the domains. Then, if you still want to transfer them to your other account at a reseller, wait 45 days after renewal, and then do the transfer. You will not lose anything there also, since your transfer fee will add another year to your registrations. The net effect is you will have added 2 years to your registrations within the space of approx 60 days (45+14).
    Signature Under Construction.