Recommend Web Hosters in Toronto/Canada?

Hi everyone. Can anyone recommend something for under $10/mth based in Toronto or, at least, Canada?

My needs are very minimal - hobby-related - no e-commerce, not a lot of email addresses (if any), but I'd like to use one domain as a portal for some of my existing sites, as well as a new one that would be a blog allowing people to leave comments on each entry. Would look similar to the on morrissey-solo dot com (which I wish this forum would allow me to link to in my message, or give me instructions how to turn the vbcode off before deleting my message!).

Someone recommend IXWebHosting and, with 3 free domain regs and the low mthly price, it looks dynamite, but I worry about it being U.S.-based, and I've read a reasonable amount of negative reviews (although they seem to be from people with greater needs than mine?).

Thanks,
    Blake

Blake,

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking for Canadian hosting?

Why don't you want to host in USA? Did you have any issues with US hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Blake,

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking for Canadian hosting?
    Hi there. Thanks for your reply.

It's likely more ignorance than anything. I'd prefer to pay in Canadian dollars, and would like to be able to call a toll free support # (the IXWebHosting site seems to suggest I'd have to call a LD #).

I'm open to whatever the best value is. I have my Steve Ditko web site (at ditko.comics dot org) and it's hosted (i think) in the Netherlands, but then again, I'm not paying for it at all in any way, so can't complain, or compare, very much. I don't want to give up security, customer service, etc., but I really do need to keep the price down (especially on start-up costs) and doubt I'll really have such an elaborate set-up that it will require a ton of repairs/maintenance.

Thanks,
    Blake

3 more posts and I'll be able to add direct links to site to which I'm commenting on. Yay!

Ah ok, well that makes complete sense. Off the top of my head I can't think of any hosts in CA that offer phone support.

Ah ok, well that makes complete sense. Off the top of my head I can't think of any hosts in CA that offer phone support.
    I wouldn't rank a toll free canadian # for support as a top priority. If it could give me around the same type of pricing and features that the $6.45 Business plan for IX would give me, with a little better reliability and more knowledgable customer support, that would seem ample enough.

Thanks,
    Blake

Blake,

I'd be wary of IX -- be sure to check into them a tad more thoroughly before
    considering them any further. Their reputation precedes them and not for good reason.

As far as 'toll free' goes you shouldn't have any problem calling most US based webhosts toll free: But if you're after phone support make sure they actually have
    some semblance of intelligent life available via the phones before signing up!

Many providers simply have sales-drones taking calls and in a lot of cases that leaves a lot to be desired.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Blake,

I'd be wary of IX -- be sure to check into them a tad more thoroughly before
    considering them any further. Their reputation precedes them and not for good reason.

As far as 'toll free' goes you shouldn't have any problem calling most US based webhosts toll free: But if you're after phone support make sure they actually have
    some semblance of intelligent life available via the phones before signing up!

Many providers simply have sales-drones taking calls and in a lot of cases that leaves a lot to be desired.
    Hi David. Thanks for the feedback. I'll take that into consideration.

One thing I've noticed about the 'Net: it's much easier to find/hear information about hosters you shouldn't go with, as opposed to ones you should go with.

It's great to hear horror stories, so that you don't get trapped in the same scenarios, but it's also then tough to locate great hosters that the majority (who have similar needs as your own) believe would suit your ones' needs.

Thanks,
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by ditko37
    One thing I've noticed about the 'Net: it's much easier to find/hear information about hosters you shouldn't go with, as opposed to ones you should go with.
    Blake,

That's almost true with just about everything though. People are quick to judge & toss nasty words in the direction of a product that is doing bad.

When things are working perfectly clients rarely ever mention a company: The age old saying 'no news is good news' tends to be closest to reality. If you hear about a company an awful lot they're either doing a good job marketing or a really bad job operating.

As far as recommendations go -- Myles at www.prioritycolo.com runs a good operation locally.
    Beyond that there are the 'bigger' names like Netfirms and Canaca but be sure to research before choosing any specific one!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

As David said, research. There are many reviews here on WHT, I would select a few hosting companies that meet your needs and spend a little while doing research on them, reading reviews, etc.

As David said, research. There are many reviews here on WHT, I would select a few hosting companies that meet your needs and spend a little while doing research on them, reading reviews, etc.
    Agreed. However, one point of note - there are many Canadian based companies that house their servers in the US (due to bandwidth costs being substantially higher in Canada) while still offering Canadian phone support.
    Last edited by mripguru; 01-17-2007 at 12:17 PM.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

there are many Canadian based companies that house their servers in the US (due to bandwidth costs being substantially higher in Canada) while still offering Canadian phone support.
    Cartika being one of them

ServerTag.net is located, and operating their own equipment out of Toronto.

Toll free support is right on their front page, and from what I've seen their Live Support is always available.

Dan and his partner run a tight ship. I think you'll be happy with them.

You may try canadawebhosting.com. I don't have a personal experience with them but I've heard they are good.

Quote Originally Posted by butleger
    You may try canadawebhosting. I don't have a personal experience with them but I've heard they are good.
    Hi there. Thanks for the feedback. Looking at their web site, they look at a little high-end, as if they exclusively manage web sites for small and big businesses. Can't seem to find prices on shared hosting. Difficult to find prices on anything I recognize.

ServerTag seems more up my alley, although they start at $15, and want $10 per year per domain registration. That actually seems like a good price, comparatively.

Too bad, you get what you pay for, because IXWebHosting seems to have everyone I want - since I don't want much - at a bargain price.

I'm really looking at a lo-fi, information-driven site with no ecommerce, and some time of blog that a person could comment on each entry. Not a ton of storage space needed, not expected millions of visitors, don't need a whack (if any) email addresses or mailing lists.

How badly could IX screw that up? And even if they did, surely I could just transfer to someone better? I don't see any commitment on their site.

Are most of the poor opinions about them driven by people who have needs that far exceed mine? Needs that are much more high maintenance that they can't handle?

Maybe I'm just not versed in what COULD go wrong, other than the site going down. What, a visitor's counter stops working? The comments part loses all its comments in some freak accident?

Maybe, since I'm starting so small, I should go with them, see how it goes and then upgrade if disappointed or needs increase?

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks again for everyone's help so far,
    Blake

If you aren't using extensive resources, you should have a better chance than someone who is. However, having other people on the server who do use quite a lot could cause it to become unstable.

The question becomes: How much are you willing to pay for reliability?

I'm not saying anything bad about IX Web Hosting, and it is true that it's mainly only the unsatisfied customers that post. I suggest asking a few pre-sales questions to get an idea of quality of response and timeliness.

I did some more searching through some of the review sites I found here.

Given my needs, similar to a set-ups here...

http://comics212.net/index.shtml
    http://www.morrissey-solo.com

- very basic, no ecommerce, a free domain reg or two would be nice, but nothing fancy - could I get away with this...

http://www.superbhosting.net/webhosting/services/blog_plan.php

or would I need something more like this...

http://www.vistapages.com/hosting/linux-web-hosting.php

or Hostpapa...

http://hostpapa.ca/Plan_Features.shtml

Any opinions on some pitfalls of the above (for what I need)?

Thanks,
    Blake

I would personally recommand 1and1 hosting. You can find more info at 1and1[dot]com.

I have 5 sites hosted by 1and1.

Quote Originally Posted by dave683
    I would personally recommand 1and1 hosting. You can find more info at 1and1[dot]com.

Do you read the posts before making a reply, and/or work for 1and1? Just curious, as I wasn't aware they had facilities in Canada, much less Toronto.

dave683, can you tell us a domain you have hosted by 1and1? You can post it in this thread or use the Report button to send it to the helpdesk. This is a standard question we ask for verification purposes.

Thanks!

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

These are the domains (i own the first 3; the others i'm just hosting)
    <<<>>>
    davelu.net
    nora-zehetner.com
    <<<>>>
    tayboutique.com
    <<<>>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 09-09-2007 at 09:06 AM.

2 words (and a domain name..)

Cartika, or iweb.ca
    VPSHelp - Coming soon to a newbie near you.

Does iWeb have servers located in toronto? I know they have a mtl datacenter, but I could be wrong.

There are plenty of toronto based hosts with phone support. You are located outside of toronto? Is that why you're requesting toll free phone support? Also, do you require 24 hour phone support?

Just some questions that might refine your query.

Good luck!

Edit: They have 2 datacenters in mtl
    Last edited by ITHost-KoreyR; 01-31-2007 at 05:37 PM.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Quote Originally Posted by Kdoubt
    Does iWeb have servers located in toronto? I know they have a mtl datacenter, but I could be wrong.

There are plenty of toronto based hosts with phone support. You are located outside of toronto? Is that why you're requesting toll free phone support? Also, do you require 24 hour phone support?

Just some questions that might refine your query.

Good luck!

Edit: They have 2 datacenters in mtl
    I'm sorry, you're right.

I can admit when I'm wrong.
    VPSHelp - Coming soon to a newbie near you.

These are the domains
    Thanks for the verification.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Check out the Canadian section of WebHostDir.
    PalmHost - A Montréal based Web hosting company
    cPanel w/Fantastico & Online SiteBuilder (+200 royalty free website templates)
    Bilingual Support (English & French)
    30 Day Unconditional Money Back Guarantee