video conversion

conversion issues for a web site.

Here's my scenario: Users will be allowed to upload videos. How do I handle those videos? How will other users view those uploads? Will they use their own video players (media player, quick time etc.) to stream the videos? Why can't it be like a google or youtube with a consistent player? To have a consistent player all the videos must be the same format. The problem is users will be uploading all types of formats like .wmv, .flv, .mov, .mpg etc.. I don't want to ask my users to convert their vids because that would be a pain for them. so how do I convert the videos myself?

Proposed solution: The programmer and I are thinking of automating the conversion of the video files within the server. He said they will run Mencoder commands on the uploaded videos through php.

Is this possible? If possible what kind of server configuration do I need? How much server resources will this use? Do you know of any better soutions? Will the videos need converting every time or is it converted once and that's all?

Thanks in advance for any help.

OK I understand... I'm slow but usually not dumb. I searched Mencoder and found what I was looking for and then some. WHT kicks arse.

You might want to take a look at ffmpeg also
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cloud Servers | CDN
    1000 Gbps Network | New Jersey DataCenter