need advise on dns set up

I'm going to have the following setup and would like to know how to configure the dns for them

2 servers:

Server1: Hosts websites and houses the dns server for the websites on server 1
    Server 2: Hosts websites and houses the dns server fo the websites on server 2

The "Big Guys" like 1and1 have hundreds of name servers such as ns128.1and1.com etc.

So I wanna know:

Can I create two sets of nameservers at my registrar godaddy as follows:

(These name servers would point to server #1)
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com

(These name servers would point to server #2)
    ns3.mydomain.com
    ns4.mydomain.com

Is this possible? Is that the way to go?

A company that I explained this to responded via email as follows:

"What you have described seems to indicate a conflict of records. It sounds like you want to have two sets of nameservers, each configured to go to different servers? Instead, you would want to use round robin A records, not two sets of servers."

Can someone explain what that means and what I need to do to get this working - I'm dns inclined.

Both servers are running plesk by the way.

Thanks

ppc123

If I understand you right you want ns3 and ns4.mydomain.com to be on server 2 and to be the nameservers for clients hosted on server 2, while mydomain.com and other client sites hosted on server 1 use ns1 and ns2 on server 1.

If so then yes, it's certainly possible, just set up A records for ns3 and ns4 with the addresses for server 2, register the nameservers at GoDaddy and make sure each client zone on server 2 has the NS records for ns3 and ns4.

However doing it that way you're missing out on the possiblity of redundant dns (ie. having dns for all client sites hosted on both servers). Setting that up is a little more complicated since you also have to arrange to sync the dns records between servers - CPanel has a dns clustering option for this, I guess Plesk would have something similar.

I seriously doubt you want to use round robin - that would mean hosting sites on both servers and adding A records pointing to both. Visitors would go somewhat randomly to either server, playing havoc with dynamic sites.

You might possibly want to consider dns failover - this also means hosting sites on both servers but in the event of downtime on one you change the dns records to direct visitors to the other. This also has some complications though - search this forum on "dns failover" and "round robin" to see some interesting past discussions.

HTH
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic
    If I understand you right you want ns3 and ns4.mydomain.com to be on server 2 and to be the nameservers for clients hosted on server 2, while mydomain.com and other client sites hosted on server 1 use ns1 and ns2 on server 1.
    Exactly.

just set up A records for ns3 and ns4 with the addresses for server 2
    Where is this done? In the plesk CP on server 2?

However doing it that way you're missing out on the possiblity of redundant dns (ie. having dns for all client sites hosted on both servers). Setting that up is a little more complicated since you also have to arrange to sync the dns records between servers - CPanel has a dns clustering option for this, I guess Plesk would have something similar.
    I'm pretty sure that there is no such thing for plesk....I wish though

Thanks so much!

Sorry, can't help you with Plesk, but I'd be surprised if it really won't let you do this. Hopefully someone with specific Plesk experience can point you in the right direction.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Sorry, can't help you with Plesk, but I'd be surprised if it really won't let you do this. Hopefully someone with specific Plesk experience can point you in the right direction.
    Ok thanks.

But regardless of the CP the "A records for ns3 and ns4 with the addresses for server 2" would be set up in server 2?

Thanks again.

You would set up the A record for the NS likely on Server 1. You would set this in the DNS Zone of wherever it's being pointed too (i.e. if yourdomain is pointing to Server 1, then you would set the A records on Server 1)

No, if mydomain.com is hosted on server 1, with dns pointing to server 1 then the A records need to be there.

One other thought: You may need to make server 2 think it's hosting mydomain.com to get the nameservers to work - if so you'll need an account on server 2 with that domain. This should have no visible effect from outside - the dns records will still point to server 1 only, but it will affect mail sent through server 2 to mydomain.com (it will try to deliver it locally). To deal with this you can either:
    1. Set up MX records for mydomain.com at both servers and collect your mail from both (easy redundant MX), or
    2. Set up the account to use an external mailserver (in CPanel this is done in the "remotedomains" file, Plesk must have something similar).
    Chris

No, if mydomain.com is hosted on server 1, with dns pointing to server 1 then the A records need to be there.
    In Godaddy, when I'm creating the second set name servers(ns3 and ns4 - to server #2) I will just put in the IP address for the second server.

Why need an A record in server 1 if I already put into godaddy that ns3 and ns4 go to the second server?

Not sure why - presumably because other nameservers may try to get the address either way - but by all accounts I've ever seen you need both glue and A records.
    Chris

So its ok to just create the new nameservers in godaddy with the 2nd servers ip addresses?

You need to do both: create the nameservers in GoDaddy and the corresponding A records at the server hosting your domain.
    Chris