Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Web
    People have babies in less time than that.
    If I have to wait more than a couple of seconds for a page to load, something is up.
    I have only been with DreamHost for two weeks, so I can't say that this would be a potential problem. But, except for minor glitches that could also be traced to the ISP, performance has been quite good. Certainly better than GoDaddy, where slowdowns, particularly in the morning, were legion. I remember when my Webmaster wanted to modify a few files on the server, and he spent a couple of hours getting a speedy enough connection.

Yes, I know DreamHost has had its growing pains, but I'm willing to give them their due and accept the promise that they have overcome the worst of these ills.

My four main sites all have database driven content, from WordPress, to vBulletin and SMF boards. The database files aren't huge -- well, yet.

As to the overselling question: Well, cable ISPs do it too. What do you think would happen to their networks if every one of their customers wanted to get that maximum 12mbps at the same time? Or if all of a bank's depositors tried to withdraw their money?

Unless I am doing some arcane resource-intensive stuff (which I'm not), I do expect the hosting service to provide all the storage space and bandwidth I've contracted for. My two broadcast sites might use a fair amount of bandwidth, since we make Podcast versions of our shows available for download. The others have more modest needs. So we'll see.

<<< Signatures must be setup in your profile >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 01-19-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12