Canadian company with data hosted in the USA... ??

We are a company that is incorporated in Canada. However, all our servers are located in the USA.

We have a Canadian customer, who does work for the Canadian government, who has expressed concern about the fact that their data is "stored" on a server that is in the USA.

Does anyone know where I can find information about the laws and policies in play here?

If the server is located in the USA, does the US government have the right to access the data?
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Ontario, Canada
    I would start with the CRTC. If they cant clear things up, I'm sure they could tell you who could.

Easiest way would be to locate the data in canada. - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Vancouver, BC
    Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy
    If the server is located in the USA, does the US government have the right to access the data?
    There are various laws that allow them to view your content on your server. They will also go through your US based datacenter and not you to get it. So you can get an email saying, "Your server has been seized by [insert government body]" and there is nothing you can do about it.

I do not know the exact laws but this is a major factor in why we are moving everything out of the US and into Canada.
    Gary Jones - Canada Web Hosting

Contact me and I will clear you up on this issue. It is a touchy subject to discuss on here, but the bottom line is that if the States gets ahold of some data (ie email from the gov) they have the right to request for more.
    SurfWeb Technology
    Linux Hosting | Web Designs | Dedicated & Colocation Servers

Other issues

You should also be aware that technically you are providing your services (the servers) within the US and therefore should be setup on the US side and pay US taxes and such. You might find that the IRS could be a bigger problem then anyone from Homeland Security wanting to have a look at your servers.