Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthdevil
    Southern Ireland - aka Republic Of Ireland (my country of birth ) is a whole separate country of it's own. It's not in the United Kingdom.

Why is it not part of the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by jiggyjohn
    Why is it not part of the UK?
    It was in the past.

See :: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...lic_of_Ireland
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

It's not part of the UK because they have different believes and different people really...

The Irish, Scots, Welsh and Northern French are all apart of the Celtic background... However, the English basically invaded Ireland and done some things which I'm not going to get into... anyway they converted a lot of the Irish to believe in the English ways, and become part of the Protestant church, the Protestant church was created to Protest against the richness of the Catholic church.

It leaded to a big battle of hundreds of years and resulted in Northern Ireland splitting from Ireland it's self. If you ever call an Northern Irish man, Irish he will probably slap you and call himself British (or the majority anyway).

It's kind of the same for Scotland these days, the Scots have a very celtic culture to this day, however they do have a lot of British culture in them as well. The problem that is evolving is that Scottish Members of Parliment are aloud to vote about English decisions, but the English aren't allowed to vote about Scottish Issues.

In law, a UK law can't be passed onto Scotland if it goes against Scots Law, this means that all laws are reviewed to see if they are breach of the law... although there has been a law recently broken, that being the law of the Scottish Army being combined. In Scots law the only person that can combine or disband the army is a member of the Scottish Royal Family (which no longer exists).

You need to remember that countries like Ireland, Scotland and England have had settelers on the land for over 10,000 years (we think) so we have a lot of history, it's not that easy just to merge countries.

Eire (Southern Ireland) isn't part of the UK.

If "Britain" goes to war, say in Afghanistan or Iraq, it is infact the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland doing so. Britain is more commonly used (incorrectly at times) becuase we consider ourselves British citizens. My nationality is British, I hold a British passport.

Americans find it easier if they think of the Scottish parliament a bit like a state government. It's still under the federal government but has some (and an ever increasing) authority of it's own.

And whilst I am English within the 4 nations and I enjoy a friendly rivalry between England, Scotland, Wales and NI, we definitely should not split as is currently being reported in the news.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell
    And whilst I am English within the 4 nations and I enjoy a friendly rivalry between England, Scotland, Wales and NI, we definitely should not split as is currently being reported in the news.
    I agree, I have an English father and a Scottish mother and I believe the United Kingdom functions a lot better as a single nation, I am against the vote to seperate Scotland and break up the UK.

I understand the system. But imho, its a wee bit complex.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

It really isn't that complex at all, its not like we have multiple passports different currerncies, or have to fill out several tax return forms a year etc.

It's the exact same as living in any other country, it's just easier to think of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as States similair to America's system...

Quote Originally Posted by pred
    The Irish, Scots, Welsh and Northern French are all apart of the Celtic background...
    Is the Celtic tradition not applicable to the entire British Isles?

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by reanncw
    I understand the system. But imho, its a wee bit complex.
    Complex? Well, there is more. At the time of the "Great Conspiracy", the Irish were called Scotti, the Scottish in their turn were the Picts, and where the English and Welsh now live, we were Roman.
    Last edited by Critic; 01-17-2007 at 01:26 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Quote Originally Posted by pred
    The United Kingdom is a bit muddeled up...

The UK has England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland in it...

The Main goverment in the UK is based in London, with the prime minster being Tony Blair.

Scotland also have their own Goverment called the Scottish Exectuives and Jack Mcconnel is incharge of that. Scotland also have their own legal system, health system and education system. They are not under English Law however they are under UK law which is a mixture of the laws.

This means that Scotland can make up their own laws, for example, it's illegal to smoke in a public place in Scotland but not in England.

Scotland has it's own capital also (Edinburgh), Northern Ireland have their own capital (Belfast), Wales have their own capital (Cardiff) and England have their own capital (London), however London is also the capital of the United Kingdom as awhole.

As we have four different countries, each country have their own sports teams, however this doesn't apply in the commonwealth and olympics games when there is a Team Great Britain.

For some reason, many people think the UK is ENGLAND this is not the case... as without the other countries there would be NO UK. Scotland is the second oldest country in the world, they are not apart of England (that is another common mistake).
    Yup, we also share our millitaty, But england by far is the most powerfull / most "built up" country

I hate the scottish......

Darn, I never knew that . Thank you!
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesc
    I hate the scottish......
    And they hate you too

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    When they say the UK, they mean the UK. England on it's own very rarely does anything unless it's to do with sport.
    Unforunately that is so true and it really ticks me off. When scotland win something (very rarely, but hey! it happens) it's always the UK won something. Now when england win something it's always england won.

daniel_grant, agreed I do hate Jamesc
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

dale1991 - where is trident based again?

I had been in the UK for a while, when England say they are England, they really mean they are England people only. They don't really like scottish or Irlish
    Peter Orga-Sales -sales@sexywing.com
    SexyWing - flying adult hosting service
    Profitable adult hosting provider Since 2006
    http://www.sexywing.com

Who would of thought such a simple topic could become so complicated, I live in England and from reading all the posts even ive become confused

Quote Originally Posted by LiberLibri
    dale1991 - where is trident based again?
    Trident
    The Smokehouse
    Smokehouse Yard
    44-46 St John Street
    London
    EC1M 4DF

There ya go, Its owned by the company that I am doing my GCSE's with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostingforyou
    Who would of thought such a simple topic could become so complicated, I live in England and from reading all the posts even ive become confused
    You should already know this, every British citizen above the age of 12 should, its your country for christs sake!

Good luck solving this . I would suggest maybe starting at the great britain wiki, search for "great britain"

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    What happened to Northern Ireland in that title

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would be the full title
    Sorry, my mistake. Thought I had typed it and obviously hadn't! Late night posts are never a good idea!

Just to confuse matters, you could refer to the British Isles (which is now, in some circles, considered politically incorrect). This term refers to England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Republic of Ireland and the Isle of Man. In some contexts it also includes the Channel Islands.
    Last edited by Xenatino; 01-18-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiberLibri
    The apparent animosity between the Scots and the English is just British banter; we dont actually hate each other (well most dont ) - kind of like the banter between north and south americans.
    So true !
    I am from England and living in America-- the American 'Scots' (who had a scottish great great great grandfather ) insist they must hate the English, and so forth.. I just want to smack em' and say You're American !

Sorry for bumping this, it turned up in a search.

When people talk about Americans being ignorant to everywhere except America, I thought it was just a perpetuated stereotype. This thread has actually shocked me!

And regarding the ignorance surrounding Ireland - are you aware that America was funding Irish terrorist action in the rest of the UK (right up until 9/11)?

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Sorry for bumping this, it turned up in a search.

When people talk about Americans being ignorant to everywhere except America, I thought it was just a perpetuated stereotype. This thread has actually shocked me!

And regarding the ignorance surrounding Ireland - are you aware that America was funding Irish terrorist action in the rest of the UK (right up until 9/11)?
    Search a little further and you will discover that you want to talk about citizens of the USA. When you say Americans you are talking about all North Americans, Central Americans and South Americans. So unless you actually want to bash both continents and all the countries comprising them, you may wish to be more precise.

P.S. Most "Americans" are unaware of the IRA support because it was concentrated in the areas surrounding Boston and influential New England politicians (hint, drowned a woman and not a neocon) did a great job of protecting these terrorist supporters.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

"Americans" is an accepted term. I still know the structure of the country, and don't think that Arizona is a part of Chicago, or perhaps in direct comparison with the confusion here, that the USA is a city in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but I don't entirely agree. There's a lot of things wrong with the American educational system. Often times those with the motivation and potential are not at all challenged to become everything that they can. The educational system simply doesn't account for overachievers, nor the underachievers, it simply strives to be mediocre. Those who attempt to do more are held down -- those that struggle are forgotten. The finger pointing shouldn't just be at the school system; if anything, much of it should go to the parents. They, out of everyone involved in their child's life, should be able to challenge their children, but often times the excuse of "I've had a long day at work" is thrown around. The American lifestyle is pathetic.

Again, I throw out www.oured.org.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast