Are you supposed to charge taxes?

Hello I am a web host owner and I was wondering do you charge sales tax to the following:

* Local People
    * Out of State People
    * Out of Country People

I was unsure and are there different percentages for different people?

I believe only if they are local to you (i.e. in your state) would you charge tax. If the transaction crosses state lines, there shouldn't be any tax.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

For hosting it varies from state to state. In NY there is no sales tax on hosting since it's a service not specifically covered. You would still owe any income tax on the money collected, however. This varies by state and locality, so it's best if you ask an accountant, as advice on a forum is anecdotal and not legally valid, typically.

There is a bill in Washington State (that I'm very against) that is hoping to require sales tax online, for border crossing transactions. Pray that it isn't enacted :-P

Quote Originally Posted by stcroixwebs
    Hello I am a web host owner and I was wondering do you charge sales tax to the following:

* Local People
    * Out of State People
    * Out of Country People

I was unsure and are there different percentages for different people?
    In what state is your business registered? This will help determine your tax laws.

Consult your accountant and/or tax attorney. Never rely on tax or legal advice from people on an online forum. Channeled AH-Tina for a second there
    Plexi Hosting and Web Services LLC - Solid hosting, gift cards

TalkShoe - Live, interactive podcasts

You can research your state and local business laws for an answer, or save yourself some time and hire an accountant or lawyer to do it for you. However, I'm guessing tax law is not the forte of most people in this forum. It sure isn't mine.
    InfTek Hosting
    Shared and Dedicated Kerio MailServer Solutions
    http://www.inftekhosting.com