which large storage hosting?

Hi,
    I know that the concept of overselling is dominating the marketing
    in the hosting industry. I've been just kicked from a supposedly 300GB
    hosting program after trying to use 70GB (for more details see my post here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=4316609&postcount=10)

But I would really like to find a hosting company that delivers
    on their storage promise (can compromise a bit on the rest).
    I have a collection of high res images (authored by me) that
    is around 80GB in size and growing rapidly. I want to be able
    to access (parts of) it online but the not that often,
    so my bandwidth requirements are not that high (in fact quite modest)
    I also don't mind downtime now and then.
    What I'm after is a low-cost ($7-10/month) large-storage hosting (100GB+)
    with a fast FTP access for uploads(I can push 5MB/s out of my connection)
    and goodies like php + mysql for running the joomla front end
    of my websites (multi domain hosting is also a must).
    I can't afford a dedicated host (and most likely I don't need one
    as my bandwidth and proc requirements are likely to remain small.
    Is anybody here having similar requirements? What are you using?

Browsing the forum I narrowed down the list to hostgator and servage
    I also considered hostmonster, but reading some posts here and
    checking their response time to questions I decided against.

I lean towards hostgator a bit (their $10 program with 100GB)
    does anybody around here pushed it to their limit (storage-wise)?

Any other hosting I should include in my list of alternatives?

That is the problem with overselling. No hosting company can actually offer this to you without causing themselves a serious headache. fo 70+ gigs of space your best bet would be to get a dedicated server. I think you will find that even hostgator and servage will boot you too. Best of luck anyways! Let us know how it works out for you.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Hostgator hasn't booted anyone for (legally) using the space they advertise but the offer is very new and I can't guarantee. It's better you ask them, I know every new server is equipped with 1TB hdd.
    What I know is that I currently use 16GB space on my dreamhost account with no problems but they are not as reliable as hostgator.
    Got Fused?

If a webhost offers 300GB it should deliver on its promise if a client wants it.

Otherwise its just false advertising.

In otherwords lying.

Well that's exactly what I told them ( IXwebhosting ) a number of times - not that they seem to mind. I had a lengthy e-mail exchange with their customer service. She kept on repeating that I take up 1/3 of their server and I either need to go down to 15GB or go. My requests to put me on a different server were ignored / answered with the same magic line ...delete or go. I have the whole conversation backed up, I might put it online some place.

if you have 70GB of legal data, shouldn't you source some big guys with NAS?

Quote Originally Posted by eric418
    if you have 70GB of legal data, shouldn't you source some big guys with NAS?
    NAS = Network-attached storage? No clue how much is a service of this kind (haven't looked into that) but then again I don't need a samba like thing, FTP is Okay for me.

not that you rent/own the infrastructure, but purchasing hosting package from companies with these kinds of setup.

70G of a 250GB HDD is alot, but considering it from a many TB of network, it's nothing.

so the possibility of being kicked off is smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by doc_flabby
    If a webhost offers 300GB it should deliver on its promise if a client wants it.

Otherwise its just false advertising.

In otherwords lying.
    That's the point. They are overselling their product to the clientele. A lot of people are aware of what over-selling is and go elsewhere, but not everyone is as lucky. They just need to remember, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

If you need so much diskspace, you really should go into a dedicated, and unfortunately, your price range is way too small for something of this magnitude. I'm not sure of many reseller packages that can live up to what you're looking for and won't actually boot you off.

Good luck.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

did you look at godaddy hosting?

servage.net

Quote Originally Posted by rixo
    Browsing the forum I narrowed down the list to hostgator and servage
    I also considered hostmonster, but reading some posts here and
    checking their response time to questions I decided against.
    Little update:
    I bit the bullet and went with servage.net I chose them for their higher storage limit (which they claim to allow to use) and geographical position (I expect most requests from Europe).
    I just tested their ftp putting my first 12 gigs and so far so good (multiple ftp workers allowed, total average upload speed 2MB/s).
    If you go for them make sure to claim extra 25 gigs (use xtra25gig coupon) totaling 275 GB. I'll keep you posted how it works out after I upload the rest of my stuff.

Cheers,
    -r-

Smile

I am very curious to see the size of their disks in order to sell that much of space ~

they use cluster with redundant load balancers in their own dc.

so i think cost of disks should be relatively tiny for them.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA
    I am very curious to see the size of their disks in order to sell that much of space ~
    Do you want to oversell? lol

Little update:
    I bit the bullet and went with servage.net I chose them for their higher storage limit (which they claim to allow to use) and geographical position (I expect most requests from Europe).
    I just tested their ftp putting my first 12 gigs and so far so good (multiple ftp workers allowed, total average upload speed 2MB/s).
    If you go for them make sure to claim extra 25 gigs (use xtra25gig coupon) totaling 275 GB. I'll keep you posted how it works out after I upload the rest of my stuff.

Cheers,
    -r-
    I have chose servage.net after sending them a mail asking if I could use their service to store large backup files (from my VPSs and my raw images) I use around 90 GB at BQBackup now, and have to upgrade soon. I got a reply back telling me that I could use all my space to store my bakup files if I wanted to.

Since I also store backup files at home (my images are at home, but I want a offsite backup) I only need a place to store my files, and not paying to much.

But beside Godaddy.com (and I think dreamhosting) few host let me use their space to my 90 GB. Since I live in Norway, I have had plans to move my sites to Europe. And I have rented VPSs from EuroVPS and SolarVps (I will see if I keep them both, or I will keep that with best uptime and speeds, and support) But a VPS are not the right place to store my backup files, since they offer so little diskspace.

So it's time to move my backup also, and only keep my $6.99/mo Godaddy.com account (100 GB) in the US.

Time will tell if I made a mistake going from safe Layeredtech and BQbackup here in the US.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

Hum... you shouldn't be booted to use that disk space when it's part of the offer. If it was bandwith, they could say that your site was affecting performance or using too much cpu, but in this case that doesn't apply. If you offer x disk space it's better that you can fulfil the offer.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate7
    Hum... you shouldn't be booted to use that disk space when it's part of the offer. If it was bandwith, they could say that your site was affecting performance or using too much cpu, but in this case that doesn't apply. If you offer x disk space it's better that you can fulfil the offer.
    Surfspeedy.com booted me, after I used around 10 GB of 100. I have also asked several host with large disk space offers, if I can use their space to my needs. Few let me. Others have the restriction in their TOS. Surfseedy.com has somthing like you can not use more then 10% of the space on other things then html files. And the files you have can not be larger then 500kb....

90 GB of pure html files, what a website.....
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

ixwebhosting was referring to a "fair use" clause in their TOS. Saying that my 70GB was 1/3 of their server, hence, it was not fair to other users When I asked how on earth they would deliver on their 300GB promise even for one user, they remained silent repeating the magic line "reduce to 15GB or go to a different host". I guess in Europe one could complain for false advertising to some customer protection organization, but doing this over the pond probably doesn't make sense. The only thing one can do is to spread the word.
    Last edited by rixo; 01-24-2007 at 03:42 PM.

It is a sad reality the amount of rampant overselling in the industry. Have you considered maybe teaming up with someone who has a server or getting one of those inexpensive servers with a big HD? or are those things out of budget for you?

budget is an issue. I decided to give another go with shared hosting and went with servage.net; they offer 275GB (250 + 25 with the coupon "xtra25gig"). I just put 60gig there and so far so good (but still it's too early to tell)
    Last edited by rixo; 01-24-2007 at 04:56 PM.

With that amount of space be prepared to pay very close to cost per meg, you might as well go for a VPS/VDS so that you have some good hardware (provider dependant) to run your service.
    Damian | i n f i n i x | Are you a hosting refugee?

budget is an issue. I decided to give another go with shared hosting and went with servage.net; they offer 275GB (250 + 25 with the coupon "xtra25gig"). I just put 60gig there and so far so good (but still it's too early to tell)
    I can't imagine Servage being bothered that you're using multi-GiB of your accounts space.

Providing the space and bandwidth is the easy part but, the resources is another.

As your just storing (using space and bandwidth) then Servage are happy (not using much system resources).

Servage can cope with a lot but, high use of server resources (not space or bandwidth) could get you suspended / booted
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ
    I can't imagine Servage being bothered that you're using multi-GiB of your accounts space.

Providing the space and bandwidth is the easy part but, the resources is another.

As your just storing (using space and bandwidth) then Servage are happy (not using much system resources).

Servage can cope with a lot but, high use of server resources (not space or bandwidth) could get you suspended / booted
    Servage has no problem with you using your disk space. You can use up to 70gb a day in bandwidth, but if your hits go over 350,000 before your day is over, you get suspended.

I ran an image host over there, and once I blocked countries like Chi8na, aJapan, Tiawan, and Hong Kong IP's everything went fine.

Smile

Seriously, providers are offering you the space to build an actual web site, not to store your backups or run any image or file hosting service that everyone knows these type of sites don't fit on shared hosting servers.

If people are using shared hosting for backups, why are people still using servers or other backup services for backing up their stuff. Why do WE hosting providers have to spend money to build NAS just to run customers backup but not use servage shared hosting service for doing our backups?

They suspend people for doing this to abuse the system resources is correct in my opinion ~

Quote Originally Posted by butleger
    Do you want to oversell? lol
    Nope, i don't want to end up having customers running backups on our servers
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 01-24-2007 at 09:32 PM.

lol....got this mail from servage.net:

Dear Kenneth Myhre,

We have just calculated the disk usage for your account (xxxxxx).
    At this time your account is using 66786.10 MB disk space.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Your Servage Team, http://www.servage.net
    Not everyday I get a nice mail telling me that I'm using 66GB of their space. And my backup are still uploading.
    One downside is the upload speeds. I only get 1 MB/s from my LT server on 4 connections.

So I have uploaded files for over 24 hours now.