Thumbs up London to host regular season NFL game this autumn.

By Mihir Bose
    BBC sports editor

London will this autumn host the first regular season NFL game to be played outside North America.

The BBC understands the match will be played at the new Wembley, and that it will be a home game for Miami Dolphins, probably against the New York Giants.

London secured the match ahead of four German cities while Wembley fought off opposition from Twickenham.

"We're thrilled to bring the excitement of the NFL regular season to the UK," said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

"London is one of the great cities of the world with an established and growing fan base for our game."

The date is yet to be confirmed, and announcements confirming Wembley as the venue and the teams will be made in a few weeks' time.

Wembley has hosted NFL teams before but only in exhibition matches.

The forthcoming game features two of the NFL's most high-profile teams, and could have a significant bearing on the race to reach the Super Bowl.

It will be played in its own time slot, around 1800 in London, rather than as part of the normal weekly group of matches.

The NFL hopes perhaps double the 60m who watch an average match will tune in for this special occasion.

Securing the game is a coup for London - Toronto and Mexico City were keen to stage it, as well as Berlin, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Hamburg in Germany.

The game is part of an attempt by the NFL to raise its profile outside America.

The UK is no longer represented in its European offshoot, NFL Europe, following the demise of the Scottish Claymores in October 2004.

By contrast, Germany is home to five of the league's six current teams.

Mexico City's Aztec Stadium hosted the only regular season game to be staged outside of the US to date in October 2005, when 103,457 fans saw Arizona beat San Francisco.

Source :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ll/6248825.stm

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I'll be grabbing some tickets as soon as I can

Finally the brits will see how real football is played!
    Kerry Jones

I am really considering going myself, assuming that it doesn't clash with anything. They haven't confirmed a date yet.

Couldn't ask for a better venue than Wembley.

I reckon it'll fill it, so that'd be 90,000 people.

Oh and we did used to have the "London Monarchs" American Football team by the way.
    Last edited by Critic; 01-16-2007 at 07:37 AM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I'll stick to watching real rugby, rather than rugby for wimps.
    - Jamie Harrop

The forthcoming game features two of the NFL's most high-profile teams
    That's a bit of a stretch, but it should be a good game nonetheless

On a side note, I know as well as any journalist that single sentence paragraphs are acceptable in newspaper journalism (rarely in any other form of writing), but I've never seen a 14 paragraph article that consisted of 14 sentences. That's crazy
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Hello. Guys, do you find that game interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Jones
    i think you made a typo, you typed football when you clearly meant handball
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Well it is about time we let the other countries see what we play.

Your so called "football" is basicly our rugby and we dont wear loads of shields/body protection unlike you.

I reckon it'll fill it, so that'd be 90,000 people.
    Might be full at the start, but once people realise it takes 3+ hours to play a "60 minute" game I'm sure people will start to get bored!

I do actually sometimes watch the NFL simply because there isn't much else on TV late at night. Don't think I've ever made it to the end of a game though, mainly because the amount of breaks just ruins the whole thing. The game doesn't flow at all with 5-10 seconds of action at a time.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dale1991
    Your so called "football" is basicly our rugby and we dont wear loads of shields/body protection unlike you.
    Well if you had a 350 - 450 lb animal running at you, i'm betting you would certainly wear shoulder pads and and a helmet too!
    Kerry Jones

As long as it only involves East Coast teams, I am ok with that. I hope that they can sort out the traveling and time zone issues. I don't want my most favorite football team, Seahawks, play their home games anywhere but Quest Field.

Well if you had a 350 - 450 lb animal running at you, i'm betting you would certainly wear shoulder pads and and a helmet too!
    oooh like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTqV6cuhtd0

<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ALGORYTHM
    Nah, more like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEi_bN49bKo

I'm not sure what the fuss is about, comparing rugby to football. They're two different sports, both are a lot of fun to watch for their own reasons, the rules, strategies and often objectives are completely different. They simply happen to both involve advancing a ball in a particular direction.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    Blah. You get those week in week out in Rugby League, and we don't wear padding.

Sorry Paul, but as a Brit who is madly in love with Rugby League (Bah. Rugby Union which you Americans have probably seen is a pile of cow dung!) I have to say that American Football sucks. The big bone from me is how it never gets going for more than 20 seconds. I've seen Rugby League games that haven't stopped for fourty minutes. Yes, 40 minutes, a full half! IMO, a sport should be about the thrill and excitement for the spectators, and frankly, stopping every 20-30 seconds (Many times much less than that) just doesn't do it for me.

Just to add to the video craze, here are some of my favourites that I just found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8DWBVvMuUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqmH0TnheWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha6pmoCVnNM

I would post the video of Mason almost breaking Fielden's jaw last year but it seems the NRL have had Google remove it from YouTube.
    Last edited by Jamie Harrop; 01-16-2007 at 04:40 PM.
    - Jamie Harrop

NFL what?

Oh, I get you now. The american football thing? I don't know anyone that watches that. I've seen clips of it (15 mins) now and then on channel 5.

I do prefer Rugby League myself Widnes Vikings for promotion!
    Sean

Didn`t they try before to bring American sports to the UK, but they always end up in some obscure spot on the lowly channel 5!!

When I lived there, no one was interested in American sports. They might be a novelty but beyond that there might have been a couple of followers. I`m British, now living in Canada. I find all the North American sports boring, and some of them play funny organ music throughout the game don`t they? What`s with the music?

That`s not to say some British sports aren`t boring. I can`t stand cricket or horse racing either.

Nothing can beat walking toward the stadium, trying to avoid the puddles of puke from drunken football fans, all chanting "who ate all the pies"!!!! Then of the course the celebrations after as the fists start flying!!! Ok, it`s not that bad nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by mesobob
    and some of them play funny organ music throughout the game don`t they? What`s with the music?
    I have fond (or not so fond) memories of sitting in Madison Square Garden, bored like never before, watching a New York Knicks game and hearing that stupid tune! I always gathered the sport was so boring they had to introduce some random tunes to spice things up a little.

Sorry guys. I'm going to stop it with my Anti-American-Sports posts (at least for today). I should just accept that Americans find enjoyment in sport for different reasons than we Brits do.

As for cricket; It's an interesting topic. Honestly, you have to know the history of the game to really enjoy it, and you have to love the Aus Vs GB rivalry. You have to know all about the Bodyline series and what it extends back to. The sport itself isn't fantastic, but the history and sense of pride in the game is what gets me on the edge of my seat. As I upgraded vB over at IWDN last night I was watching the one day International between NZ and England, and it went right down to the second to last ball before we won. The Ashes series in England in 05 was something I'll never forget. For a few months, England went cricket crazy, and I always remember how everybody stopped to sing Jerusalem, the song adopted by the England cricket fans, almost like everybody would stop for a sign of respect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB3Ts_6177I
    Last edited by Jamie Harrop; 01-16-2007 at 07:01 PM.
    - Jamie Harrop

I played Football in the 7th grade as a wide receiver. I play Rugby now in College. In Rugby you take far less hits, but you have to much better shape. It's unfortunate that the Rugby team I play for is only a club team, rather than a college sponsored team, because it's rather hard to find teams to play without the college's backing.

Indoor soccer is where it's at though. That's the game I love.

Which rugby do you play inogenius? Union or League?
    - Jamie Harrop

One of my best friends played three years of Rugby when he was attending Palmer college of Chiropractic. He wrestled in high school and for a little while when he was doing his premed work at Kent. He's also a competing body builder, and his chiropractic practice specializes in sports injury rehabilitation, so he might have some professional insight regarding the impact of each sport. I'll have to ask him his opinions on football and rugby and see what he has to say. I know he's a huge fan of both.

If you do ask him Paul, please make sure you ask him whether he played Rugby Union or Rugby League. Union is completely different to League. There are far, far less hits in Union than in League. Union is more of a kicking sport.

I'm pretty certain it will be Union that he played. League isn't played much at all outside of Northern England, Aus, and NZ.

I am very biased when it comes to League. Halifax, where I live, and the surrounding suburbs have produced a larger percentage of the top class Rugby League players throughout England and beyond than any other place has. In fact, just last month six of my good friends who I knew in college were called up to the Great Britain squad.
    Last edited by Jamie Harrop; 01-17-2007 at 11:51 AM.
    - Jamie Harrop

I'm almost certain you're right Jamie. I believe Palmer's division is Union.

Quote Originally Posted by TieuDieuTu
    As long as it only involves East Coast teams, I am ok with that. I hope that they can sort out the traveling and time zone issues. I don't want my most favorite football team, Seahawks, play their home games anywhere but Quest Field.
    I'm surprised that the Dolphins and Giants agreed to that. An overseas flight during the regular season seems a little unfair compared to other team's travel schedules. I wonder if their bye weeks occur the following week.

When the Cardinals went to play the regular season game in Mexico, it wasn't that far of a trip from Arizona. Plus, they probably enjoyed playing in front of a sellout crowd. At the time, they were playing at Sun Devil Stadium with crowds under 30,000 per game.

An overseas flight during the regular season seems a little unfair compared to other team's travel schedules.
    A direct flight from NY to London would be about the same length as a flight to pretty much anywhere on the West Coast. Miami would only be a few hours more total. I don't think this would put undue stress on either team At worst, may be they'll play a Thursday game, then play a regular Sunday when they get back. Or maybe there are byes involved.

Quote Originally Posted by tweber99
    I'm surprised that the Dolphins and Giants agreed to that. An overseas flight during the regular season seems a little unfair compared to other team's travel schedules. I wonder if their bye weeks occur the following week.

When the Cardinals went to play the regular season game in Mexico, it wasn't that far of a trip from Arizona. Plus, they probably enjoyed playing in front of a sellout crowd. At the time, they were playing at Sun Devil Stadium with crowds under 30,000 per game.
    I'm sure some perks were included. Plus its not that far from where they're at.

I don't understand why everyone is bickering about which sport is more hardcore? They're both hardcore in different ways. A true sports fan can watch, understand, and enjoy watching either.

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    I'm almost certain you're right Jamie. I believe Palmer's division is Union.
    Yeah, we play Union too. I know the girls team at Kent State plays union as well, since a friend of mine plays there.