Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IXWebHosting

media temple is an example for mysql "localhost":

(copy from mt website)
    We do not allow any connections to the MySQL database via the ip (non-localhost). This is true whether you are trying to connect from the server itself or somewhere else on the internet.

thats why ixwebhosting mysql get many complain

Mysql server can be overloading the webhosting server, thus slowing down the whole server.

Yes it is true to an extent that your queries will be a bit slower (2-3ms on lan?) than on localhost, but it will still be faster than having to wait 20+ seconds for it on an overloaded server that does both apache and mysql
    Systems Developer/Programmer

In a hosting environemnt, there's absolutely no way that a single server mySQL+web+apache+mail beats a multiple server configuration. This is assuming all machines are equal and there's decent load on the server.

If the server were empty, yes, single server mysql and Apache is a better choice. However, on a busy server, the server will get overloaded by trying to do everything. Whereas if it were a clustered environment, the Web server takes care of the Web requests. If it gets a mySQl request, it passes it on to the other server to take care of. While mySQL server is running the query, the Web server is free to do other things. Once mySQL is done, it passes it back to the Web server.

It's much like how computers use dedicated 3D video cards. Why not due it on the CPU instead of a dedicated $300 board on a MUCH slower bus? Simple, the 3D card is better at doing graphics and is dedicated thereby leaveing the CPU to do other things.
    Allanon
    vBulletin, Invision, phpBB and Gallery2 enthusiast
    my current webhost: imountain.com -|-|-|- my dedicated server: CIhost.com -|-|-|- dump host: Canaca
    my picture gallery: http://borgclan.com/gallery2

Quote Originally Posted by OriginXT
    They seem to completely oversell their stuff, and I heard the SQL is hosted on a different server from the one you store normal files in, slowing sql-based sites down considerably. Anyone with good or bad experiences with them?
    Having different mysql server is infact a good thing
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

I tried Netfirms, which uses external mysql servers, and the load became exponentially slower--I mean around 5-10 seconds per load as opposed to 0.05s-0.1s.

That's true as well. I guess any setup can slow down if it's not managed well.

Did you use the "Enterprise" cluster plans? They're $50+ per month, I would think they'd have excellent speed.
    Allanon
    vBulletin, Invision, phpBB and Gallery2 enthusiast
    my current webhost: imountain.com -|-|-|- my dedicated server: CIhost.com -|-|-|- dump host: Canaca
    my picture gallery: http://borgclan.com/gallery2

I had a job making an admin section for http://www.joshlambeth.com/music hosted by ixwebhosting and when I called support, they wouldn't help me. I tried to get PHP 5, but they wouldn't install it. I asked for other things and they said they couldn't install something on their server because of one person's request. I don't like their control panel, either. I do like the dedicated IP thing, but it's not worth much.

Overall, ixwebhosting is pathetic. :-D I think I'm just going to make my own hosting company.

I currently use ixwebhosting but will be moving soon. There support staff is not knowledgeable. Everything has to be escalated. There is no process for priority issues.

IX hosting is pretty big but it seems all reviews of them are negative.

The database servers are offline all the time. They do not even know how theyr FTP is working. So after 6 online persons (apr 6-7hours), 4 days and 3 different admins who i write letters and send screenshoots, and one 45 minute phone call they admit "oh, well, actually it should not work like that... but it does, i must write it down for others so they would know it also in future".

One good thing is theyr support is really 24/7, and most of the times they get my site up whit in 20 minutes after i contact whit them (they probably reboot or something). Its just sucks really if u want to run online shop and its ofline all the time... i have losed more money then win

Control panel sucks first A LOT, later u get used to it... but still, i prefer cPanel. The virtual FTP thing they have is nice but often useless.

They also offer unlimited plan, this gonna be funny

If they do not lot me upload files... then i will definelly change the host and ask money back.

Our good friends over at 1and1 has the same database practice splitting the web server and the database server.

I have a test account over with them and the database driven script seems to be zipping along just fine - so it really depends on the setup and luck I guess
    Host In Us Web Hosting Services | www.hostinus.com
    Premium Enterprise Shared Web Hosting
    Less than 80 Customers per server!
    Try us out! We want to earn your business.

They do not even know how theyr FTP is working. So after 6 online persons (apr 6-7hours), 4 days and 3 different admins who i write letters and send screenshoots, and one 45 minute phone call they admit "oh, well, actually it should not work like that... but it does, i must write it down for others so they would know it also in future".
    Please share a few details about this FTP issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HIU-Jay
    Our good friends over at 1and1 has the same database practice splitting the web server and the database server.

I have a test account over with them and the database driven script seems to be zipping along just fine - so it really depends on the setup and luck I guess
    Dreamhost seems to do that, and the DB-driven sites also zip along.

ldcdc:

this was about virtual FTP vs. ftp hosts from their control panel. First at all they told me its not possible to connect whit mySite.com using ftp program. Then they found out it is possible, they did not know it is possible to connect to subdomain.mysite.com. (they told u only can use 123.webhosting.com as a host/server whit ftp).
    Then comes virtual ftp vs. ftp host issue. basically u can make subdomain whit seperate IP & turn on virtual ftp server, and connect to that whit "ftp host" user account and get to the right directory.
    (their usual virtual ftp accounts only go to ur account root, and usual ftp host users can only connect to main ftp server).

Its actually complicated to explain what i wanted, but i can try if u want lol.

I thought they used HSPhere? What's wrong with HSphere? As for the PHP5 comment..they probably have another version running on that server which means if you upgrade, you are gonna break a ton of other people scripts...means 10x (or more) support issues to handle. You really can't expect a host to do that. As for the slowness..well..I don't know..probably a combo between overselling and not an optimized cluster setup...would be my guess

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12