Local DNS issues - need some help!

Mayby not the best place to post this but I'm moving from shared to vps and some of the accounts just refuse to resolve locally on MY pc. On my pc I use FF2 and have consistantly cleared the cache before trying to access the new vps sites. Nameservers changed to the vps using private nameservers and dnsreports and remote pings resolve to the correct ip when checking so I don't think its an isp issue. I have also changed nameservers in the router to other than my isp and made sure I have not set up the ips in the my pcs host file, released/renewed the my pcs ip. Yet, when I go to browse sites I go to my old shared site no matter what. I also have another identical Dell PC and it resolves everything like it should be using the correct vps ips. So I can only deduce it is a windoze issue. I've moved sites to new ips for over 10yrs with no problem but just can't get my arms around this one.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

An

Does the ping requests to your domains from the local machine still pointing to the old server?

If so, you can clear the local dns resolver cache from the local machine and try the same again.

C:\Documents and Settings\admin>ipconfig /flushdns
    C:\Documents and Settings\admin>net stop dnscache
    C:\Documents and Settings\admin>net start dnscache

Let us know the results.

Thanks for the input. The pings still point to the old server unfortunately.

I ran all the commands to flush, stop, and start but know change. The location I'm at has 3 pcs connected and 2 of them fail to resolve the new ip - only 1 of the 3 does.

Please keep suggestions coming in - although I'm out of here til the am.

Bob

whoops!

When I ping from the machine I'm currently on I get the correct ips - but the browsers still don't resolve. Sorry - in my last post it was from my other pc that pings wern't resolving. Sorry for the confusion.

hmmm...seems to be nothing more than your browser settings/cache. Have you tried the same via other browsers other than Firefox, say IE?

What a DA I've been.

For months I have been using the FF plugin "showip" and pretty much counted on it until now. I can't recall problems in the past as I've moved several sites over the the last year and the ips resolved as expected. Thats the old "asume" problem. I removed from FF the "showip" plugin and then reinstalled and I guess the everything has been ok all along. Boy, I guess I'll never get to old to be a dumbass. Thanks for the help.

The next time I move stuff I'll make a change to a page or something to know I'm really looking at the real site.

Good to know that everything works fine for you now

Have fun!

Thanks - your input made me drill down further - its pretty exasperating when you start depending on a SW application (extension) and its giving false info.

No problems. You can report this bug with the FF plugin to http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/bugs . I think they will take care of it.