Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rackshack Horror Story - What should I do now?

On one of my sites, I have a file downloading service where users upload files and give downloads. It has gotten very popular in the last couple of months, and I bought one of those unmetered connections at Rackshack last month to keep up bandwidth.

Right from the start it was slower than it should have been, giving dl times of less than 1 KB/sec even. I waited a few days to see if it would work itself out, then I submitted a trouble ticket, and it took them 4 days to figure out they needed to replace a switch in their network and configure my NIC properly. Fine, they fixed it.

Perhaps a week later things started to slow again. Again I waited a few days, and again it stayed that way. I attributed it to a lack of RAM, so I added in another half gig. No change, so I submitted another similar trouble ticket.

4 days later, they decided to do something about it. Apparently they decided my site needed a server switch, so without prior warning they went to work. Now I quote from my trouble ticket: "unfortunatly, due to hardware issues the data on the drive has become too corupt to allow for booting up. server drive will require a swap to bring back online. will need customer authorization for restore"

I called 'em up to ask if it was true. Yep, they lost all my info. That's 65 gigs of users files "due to hardware issues." All my MySQL files are gone too - I had them backed up on the hard drive of the server (I know I should have had them here too, but I didn't). I now have to begin back where I started with 0 users and 0 files. All I have is the original web page.

Whats more, they took more than 2 days to bring my server back online, which they screwed up a second time, and I had to wait ANOTHER day for them to do a 2nd server restore! (making me lose well over $200 in advertising revenue purely from the 3 days I was out!). When it finally came back up, I only had one 40 GB hard drive and 512 MB RAM. The base server I bought was two 40 GB hard drives and 1 GB RAM, plus my additional 512 upgrade. They fixed the RAM problem, but refused to give me back the 40 GB hard drive, claiming it was never part of my server in the first place (bs! It never would have been in the server if it wasn't).

What I'm asking is what should I do now? I'm definitely asking for some compensation because none of this was my fault. What would you suggest? As you know, it is expensive keeping these servers up, and now the web page that paid for it is gone. I've had to take Ensim off and reinstall apache and everything twice in the past day because they screwed it up (apparently no, they can't just give me a clean RedHat install, I had to take off Ensim AGAIN). What kind of compensation should I ask for in return now? Thanks for your hep in advance guys, this message board is great.

My suggestion...

... is to move to another company. FDCservers - PriorityColocation - WebReseller - TransactGlobal - TerraStudios - EServersBiz ... and many more, pick one.

This is truely a horrorstory yet not unfamiliar. In my 1,5 years with them I have seen and experienced even worse and I have a lot of material to prove it and anyone can ask for it via PM. Now everyone can flame me again and report this post to a moderator and complain about me but I will still say:

RackShack SUCKS!

You want reliability, shell out more than $99 for a server that comes with an unmetered connection.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

@ Jag, those unmetered servers are not $99 a month. They're $399 a month for an unmetered 10 MBIT cogent port with a Compaq DL320 server on them. You'd expect them to do a better job for this money...

Originally posted by Jag
    You want reliability, shell out more than $99 for a server that comes with an unmetered connection.
    Um, the server that comes with an unmetered connection is $399 per month!
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

*** EDIT BY Patrick-EV1 *** From reading the tickets it looks like the ball was dropped regarding the removal of the RAM and a duplicate ticket was put in on removing it, I've forwarded this issue to higher up management for review.
    Last edited by Patrick-EV1; 06-28-2002 at 08:14 PM.

My bad, guess I was just mistaken. Thats for letting me know.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

wow that's really awful man...

I'd be so pissed right now... This is something I would not just say "oh well" and walk away from.

Originally posted by Patrick-EV1
    While I wont go into details I'm personally familiar with this issue and re-reviewed all the tickets because that's 180 degrees different from what I remembered, and as I suspected, it still is. I wont go into details, but I wouldn't take everything you hear straight to heart.
    If THIS is the case then it is not right of "ccole" to say those things then.

Everyone here surely knows by now what I think about RackShack but UNTRUTHFUL claims are wrong... and I wont accept them only because it "suits me" in this particular case.

I hereby call "ccole" to present EVIDENCE to convince us that his claims are TRUTHFUL.
    If they are then he shall have our support.
    If they are NOT then he shall use the "edit/delete" button real quick.

My 3$ and 10cents + Sales Tax

All rise, the honorable ShareFile has entered the chambers.

*crickets*

You may now be seated.

Ccole, please present your first Witness...
    <!-- boo! -->

Patrick, by all means I invite you to go into details. Obviously I posted the short version of what happened, as I didn't want to write 4 pages worth of a post that nobody would read. But I posted exactly what happened, without any half-truths or anything such as that.

I have attached to my post a .zip file with 2 letters (Microsoft Word documents) I have drafted to be sent to Rackshack. The first is an extremely detailed letter telling exactly what happened, at what time and when. The second is much shorter, and is more of a timeline of what happened. Both were written yesterday, and I was at the time waiting for my second server restore. They will soon be revised, and I'll choose one to send off.

If you wish for me to post my trouble tickets, I will. There are a total of 12, however, and some are quite lengthy. The word documents describe exactly what happened. Like I said, I don't know what Patrick is talking about, and I invite you to read my word documents and comment on them. I will soon pick one and send it to the Customer Service Department, as well as a copy to Robert Marsh.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am just amazed at the number of people who do not have a copy of thier files backed up.
    Gagsplus - http://www.gagsplus.com
    Best of Humor www.bestofhumor.com

He has (had) over 65 gigs of files lost on a total of two hard drives.

He did backups to his secondary drive, but full file backups were IMPOSSIBLE to say the very least. At $700 or so ($300 setup) one would expect him to at least have been consulted before they attempted to move two hard drives from one computer to one with apparently different hardware. The operating system was corrupted, the old hardware dissappeared, and he was informed that oops, it's all gone, better restore.

As a part time systems admin with quite a few rackshack servers of my own I attempted to assist him with repairing and retrieving the data, suggesting ideas on how to recover such data, having had similiar problems in the past. My suggestions however did not seem to assist in resolving this problem as it appears the server has already been restored.

I have personally seen the trouble tickets, and can assure you all that this is not an exaggerated or a false post, someone dropped the ball here and ccole is right to ask for at the least a better explanation.

Originally posted by Jag
    So you're saying that if he was only paying $99 he got what he deserved? That is absurd. Did you even read what happened?

ccole - I would like to apologize for what has happened to you as the ball was definately dropped and it never should have happened, I attempted to phone you directly with no success so I'll be emailing you shortly in regards to this.

Well, that's a good start, Patrick.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Yep agree. But on the other hand I must say that when PATRICK handled things everything was always fine suddenly and worked out...

Wink

Better late then never. But really, nice to see that RS is able to admit and apologize.

Hope to see this work out.

You've handled it better than I would have, if that much data would have been lost I would have just called a lawyer directly
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Thanks Patrick for your email and your apology.

I would, however, like to get back on my original topic if at all possible. I have lost all my files and user information, which is months of work that I have done to work up such a user database. It will take me months if not more than a year to fully recover. If YOU were in the same situation, what would you ask for from RackShack?

ccole - It appears I've been able to recover your old primary harddrive, it contains approximately 30 GB of data, but I would like to point out that if you had a second hard drive in your original box, it would seem that was a mistake, because the package you ordered only comes with one as stated from your Confirmation ticket:
    Server Type: Compaq - Linux-Ensim-P3-40GB - 1GB RAM - 10mbps

I'll send you an email with the details of where the drive is mounted on your system.

well

Well, I am impressed. Although I don't like rackshack in general, from my personal experiences, Patrick your a good guy, rackshack is lucky to have you.

rackshack would be screwed without patrick

For a un-managed solution ... patrick is sure going out of his way to help you

I'm must be still asleep

RS helping clients ... surely not

You MUST do you own data backups , i'm sure that RS MAY soon do data-backups onsite ...which would be cool
    : UTADMIN : Carl :

ccole: Do you have anything to do with Come2Store.com
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

i hope headsurfer get's that human cloning project wrapped up that he's been working on in "bermuda" (baby surfer, uh huh, sure).

i could just see it now.

Patrick1-EV1
    Patrick2-EV1
    Patrick3-EV1
    Patrick4-EV1
    etc. etc.

Originally posted by roly
    ccole: Do you have anything to do with Come2Store.com
    Yes he owns / runs it
    : UTADMIN : Carl :

Can I suggest something?

Why doesn't Robert Marsh (headsurfer) retire and go home to raise his baby and leave Patrick running the business. It is my opinion that if you cannot make things right you should let someone else do the job

One of the strengths of good management is hiring people who can take care of what you cannot. They cant be there 24x7.

Re: Can I suggest something?

Originally posted by ShareFile
    Why doesn't Robert Marsh (headsurfer) retire and go home to raise his baby and leave Patrick running the business. It is my opinion that if you cannot make things right you should let someone else do the job
    Isnt he the one that got the company where it is at now? If so why would he quit at this point.

Luckily that there is forum like this to force the concern party to properly manage the problem.

He's been there since the creation of EV1 ( ~200,000 dialup customers now ) and Rackshack ( ~6000+ dedicated servers ), he gets the business done.

jeffrylee - Well, there are other means of contact, this is the first written official complaint in regards to the situation, it's not why he brought it to the board, he brought it here for a suggestion, we just happened to see it. To be fair this is before he ever even contacted management for resolution.

Actually Patrick, I've spent hours and hours on the phone with RackShack people. I didn't specifically ask for the management, but I asked them several times to do what you did for me, and I was told it was impossible.

As for written complaints - my letter will be faxed on Monday, as well as sent via US mail. I've also posted on trouble tickets up to my sphinkter trying to get things resolved.

Anyway, since I posted a public complaint, I'd also like to post a public thank you to Patrick for being the only RS person to help me thus far. You went out of your way to help me where nobody has before, thank you so much.

Someone asked a while back if I had anything to do with Come2Store.com - yes, that is/was the website I'm talking about.

Re: Re: Can I suggest something?

Originally posted by Matrix

Isnt he the one that got the company where it is at now? If so why would he quit at this point.
    ah dont mind sharefile

he'll do anything to make rackshack look bad, and he knows it.

I think the one thing RackShack really needs is for their techs to be accountable. Currently you have no idea which techs are really screwing up and which are coming through and saving the day and carrying the others. We as customers have to try and try to get something resolved with tickets being closed without reading and and then finally we get a tech who really knows what they are doing and fixes the problem. The techs who know what they are doing are probably confronted with too much hostility because quite frankly the loafers/ticket closers have created a huge level of customer frustration. I bet the person who dumped all the data to begin with is still going along like before and is being paid according to how fast (but not how well) they work.

I think that all trouble tickets / work orders should be signed by name or tech nickname/number. Then take the bottom 5 or 10 techs who get the most customer complaints and either assign them mandatory training or dock their pay. Likewise, take the top 10 techs which get the best rating (like Patrick who always comes through and saves the day) and give them a nice bonus.

Re: Re: Can I suggest something?

Originally posted by Matrix

$$$

Just pointing out something. If Rackshack was trying to change things here...this ugly little post would have been dropped when it was first started.

Hats off. I feel a little better about them buying these boards all the time.

PS: This is NOT a pump up for Rackshack as they are my competition so to me they are scum, dirt, [fill in the blank] as is the rest of my competition...hehe
    Life is Minimum live it Maximum.

Originally posted by Patrick-EV1
    ccole - It appears I've been able to recover your old primary harddrive, it contains approximately 30 GB of data, but I would like to point out that if you had a second hard drive in your original box, it would seem that was a mistake, because the package you ordered only comes with one as stated from your Confirmation ticket:
    Server Type: Compaq - Linux-Ensim-P3-40GB - 1GB RAM - 10mbps

I'll send you an email with the details of where the drive is mounted on your system.
    C'mon ccole, answer the part above which you ignored. Did you have 65 gigs of space used and 2 Hard Drives or not? Or, are you afraid to admit that you exaggerated or were incorrect about the diskspace and hard drives because your fear that your credibility will suffer?

@chrisb: My first post I thought had already explained this, and if you were really interested, you could have read the letters I posted for download which explained it in full.

The short answer: Yes, my server came with two 40 gig hard drives. 65 gigs was not an understatement....in fact, I was about to buy myself a third because the second was being filled so fast.

Please, before you try to flame me, try asking politely next time. I have had enough RS problems without WHT users trying to flame me too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast