How many younger users here on WHT?

I've been hanging out around the employment forums and I've noticed a lot of younger WHT users that are 15 - 17, offering their services... I myself, am only 19, yet considered a legal US adult. To most of you guys that are in there 30's - 50's, you probably consider me a "young buck" What are your thoughts about hiring the underage for simple script installs or coding a template for you? They seem to be a lot cheaper! Like comparing a yard sale to a company?

I wouldn't knowingly hire anyone under 18. Not worth the potential risk.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

If they can do the job, I have no issue putting some spare change in their pockets. I had decent server administration skills at 17 and was providing administration services and doing a good job of it.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Tina,
    What about just slicing a template? I myself wouldn't trust them with anything confidential as any contract they sign isn't legally binding!

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamMan
    Tina,
    What about just slicing a template? I myself wouldn't trust them with anything confidential as any contract they sign isn't legally binding!
    I would do it if the work was done before payment, and it was a one-time deal.

But that's just me
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina

--Tina
    I completly agree, there are certain jobs that underage kids can do but IT work requires a lot of responsability.

I hired a kid once he was "Highly recommended", paid him the normal price, he never finished the job, the down payment can never be recover since he is under 18.

I'm 18 but I've been working with hosting companies since 16. They were satisfied.
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Won't hire underaged people as well. It is pretty unlikely that they have the technical skills (no matter what they might say), and they certainly aren't as matured mentally
    New site: www.talkutas.com

I started a web host a number of years ago when I was 14. It really isn't the best idea. I am 18 now in a few months.

I myself am young, above 18 though, but I tend to believe that you shouldnt judge there skills based on how old they are.

The only reason people do is because they lack experience of say a 40-50 year old individual.

But an 18 year older in my opinion should be given the opportunity to do what the older individuals can do.

Just because they are young doesnt mean they cant do what the more experience can do.

Certain jobs experience may be required such as server Admin probably.

Web Development/Design positions should not be judged based on age as that is something that an 18 year old can do just as well as a 40-50 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSCSN
    I myself am young, above 18 though, but I tend to believe that you shouldnt judge there skills based on how old they are.

The only reason people do is because they lack experience of say a 40-50 year old individual.

But an 18 year older in my opinion should be given the opportunity to do what the older individuals can do.

Just because they are young doesnt mean they cant do what the more experience can do.

Certain jobs experience may be required such as server Admin probably.

Web Development/Design positions should not be judged based on age as that is something that an 18 year old can do just as well as a 40-50 year old.
    I agree... I wouldn't hire anyone under the age of 18 for any server administration, just as a security risk as no matter what they sign agreeing not to disclose what I may have on my server for protection as an advantage to my competitor is not legally binding. The whole website development is another story... Have you seen the 15 year old Rachel and her slicing and coding abilities? There's also hammish who is I believe also 15, he has some of the cooler logos I have seen.

I'm 14..

I help out at Dynu, however I see absolutely no $ out of it, and am absolutely content as such. It's something to do with my time!

I love WHT though, this place is a good hangout (insert geeky emotional feelings here).
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina

--Tina
    I wouldn't hire anyone under 18 for an remote position. For a local job though, find the right one and they can really help your business explode. They don't have that attitude of "it's just the way it's done", rather their newly-ness to working, can help expose inefficiencies and inject creative ideas that can add new product lines and develop new strategies to complete tasks.

That's the way I'm pretty much described by my boss when I go into meetings with people double my age. Usually they walk out with their hand on my shoulder saying something along the lines of "You know, you might just be me one day." (Direct quote from a former Bank One Vice President)

I'm 21 for those that don't know.

When I was 16, I started a job at a local restaurant doing some after school typing projects and what not.

After just 2 months on the job, I expanded my role at their company and began doing all their bookkeeping, accounts payable, cashouts, etc. I did that job better than anyone else she had hired previously.

It's not about age. It's about how well you can do the job.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

I wouldn't trust anyone under 18 too. Some kids can be really stupid. But you have to be selective. My boss hired me and some of my friends at around 16 because we are really good at web development.

I would only knowingly hire someone under 18 if that person would be working locally with supervision. And also only if that person has some rare quality to offer, since otherwise it's just safer and more sensible to work with adults.

I am 24 and I hire people under 18 all the time.

When did you register DawgFaceBoy? Most kids use the word "boy" or "girl" when they go for a user name.

I registered November 2005. I just use this name for fun, really has no relevence to me.

It's actually been amazing to me how young most of the hosting industry is - I'd say the overwhelming majority of successful hosting entrepreneurs I've met are under 25 - even amongst some of the most successful companies.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

I wish I had gotten into the web hosting industry at a younger age.

<--- old man walking
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

I'm 21 at the moment, but will be turning 22 in March.
    Kerry Jones

There was a poll a while back. Not a lot voted, but it should give you a rough idea

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=494206
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

that poll was old school.
    Kerry Jones

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    Won't hire underaged people as well. It is pretty unlikely that they have the technical skills (no matter what they might say), and they certainly aren't as matured mentally
    Age is just a number . I believe once you hit the 16 age group . It has nothing to do with the maturity then , it will depend on the person then
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    There was a poll a while back. Not a lot voted, but it should give you a rough idea

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=494206

I wonder who voted "below 10 or above 70"