Thread: Need a Host

Need a Host

Sorry if this is the wrong area - please move where appropriate...

I'm looking for a Host...
    I'm moving down from a dedicated server...

My specs:

About 50 Gig Bandwidth Monthly
    About 8 Gig Storage
    PHP MYSQL
    cPanel
    No heavy server loads

Looking for a Host with strong security skills...

Thanks...

Whats your budget?
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

I'm paying $180/Monthly now for dedicated...

But, I'd like to get it down to $55/monthly if possible...

It's either back to Shared, or, come up with an immediate $130/month-money-making-deficit-fixing-website idea... LOL...

With those specs and your price range I'd say you could look at a VPS somewhere, it'll give you more power/control than regular shared would and still meet your budget needs.
    BanPro NET - stable & secure web services since 2000

Odds are, if you go the all out shared route the load will spike at the same time everyday, and that gets old. ScottBannon is right, you should probably go the VPS route. Only real con I can see with that is the security, that will probably your own responsibility, so you either have to know how you want it locked down, or hire a 3rd party to do it for you, many hosts just lock down the physical box and keep charging the customers for reloads : /
    -DPI
    Chicago's #1 Datacenter Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBannon
    look at a VPS somewhere
    Yep - I'm open to any option... Not familiar with VPS though - just Shared and Dedicated...

Quote Originally Posted by DPI
    VPS route. Only real con I can see with that is the security
    Yep - I'm spoiled with my current Dedicated... Wish I could keep it...

VPS's are a nice in-the-middle option. You'll have some dedicated minimums of memory/cpu resources (a bonus over shared) and typically get higher guaranteed disk/bw limits at a lower price than shared, but as DPI said you'd still be responsible for the security of your VPS. Since you're running a dedicated now I assumed you were familiar enough with that to handle the same in a VPS environment.
    BanPro NET - stable & secure web services since 2000

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBannon
    you'd still be responsible for the security of your VPS. Since you're running a dedicated now I assumed you were familiar enough with that to handle the same in a VPS environment.
    I have "managed" help, but, if the same goes for VPS then I'll look into that too...

After looking at the numbers you presented, VPS was my thought also. You can find managed VPSes, but I suggest you contact the host, explain what level of support you require, and ask if they can cover that. Also, it might be good to not expect the same kind of performance you were getting with your dedicated. Besides, lower expectations never really hurt anyone.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568156 could be of some interest to you. Do your reasearch on any company you're seriously considering as your next provider.

Reading threads in our VPS section should help get a glimpse of the problems/things to look for in the VPS world: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103
    Last edited by ldcdc; 01-15-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Hello,

have a look at SLHost.com good deals right now, low price, managed too

Good Luck with your VPS. its just like a dedicated server just without the high price.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    After looking at the numbers you presented, VPS was my thought also. You can find managed VPSes, but I suggest you contact the host, explain what level of support you require, and ask if they can cover that. Also, it might be good to not expect the same kind of performance you were getting with your dedicated. Besides, lower expectations never really hurt anyone.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568156 could be of some interest to you. Do your reasearch on any company you're seriously considering as your next provider.

Reading threads in our VPS section should help get a glimpse of the problems/things to look for in the VPS world: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103
    Thanks ldcdc...