I'm getting a new server: P4 Dual Core 920 x Athlon Dual Core 3800

Well, as the topic says I'm getting a new dedicated and wanted to know in your opinion which processor would be better for hosting purposes. Both would come with 2GB RAM.

I Googled for benchmarks and could only find these refering to gaming.

P4 dual core? Do you mean a pentium d?
    Also, are we talking about a toledo or windsor cpu for the amd?
    They should both be perfectly fine for hosting though, the amd might perform a little faster.

i'd take the amd over intel personally, but i like amd

I have a Pentium D 3ghz is 30% slower than my x2 3800. I just ordered another 3800 today.

When we say faster does that mean bigger capacity?
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

Quote Originally Posted by Gnax|Jordan
    Capacity has nothing to do with it. When you're talking faster, you're talking about performance.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by freshmint
    Well, as the topic says I'm getting a new dedicated and wanted to know in your opinion which processor would be better for hosting purposes. Both would come with 2GB RAM.

I Googled for benchmarks and could only find these refering to gaming.
    Is there any price difference between the two servers?
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Depends if it's a PentiumD or a Core2Duo. If the latter then the Core2Duo seriously outperforms the AMD, if the prior then the reverse is true.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff - Exceed
    Depends if it's a PentiumD or a Core2Duo. If the latter then the Core2Duo seriously outperforms the AMD, if the prior then the reverse is true.
    Pentium D 920 is what the OP specified, which is the 2.8 GHz with 2x2MB Cache model of the Pentium D.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnax|Jordan
    A gnax employee..?

--edt--

And the core 2 duo's are awesome cpu's - especially for those that colo their own servers. Power isn't a pita with them .

Quote Originally Posted by qps
    Is there any price difference between the two servers?
    Yeah, the AMD was $5 cheaper and I that's what I choosed.

Thanks for the posts, I'm glad I made the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmint
    Yeah, the AMD was $5 cheaper and I that's what I choosed.

Thanks for the posts, I'm glad I made the right decision.
    Can you share with us where did you get your server?

In case you still care, I found these performance tests at Tom's Hardware, and yes, the P4 Dual Core 920 is slower than the Athlon X2 3800 in most tests, but not by that much. They are comparable machines. In SySoft Sandra's synthetic benchmark, the Athlon 64 X2 3800 does 17,237 vs 14,983 for the Pentium D 920.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5696/image006eo6.gif

By the way, does anybody know which of all the tests run by Tom's Hardware is the one that best approximates server performance? Is it applications, video, file compression, synthetic, which one? Because in the first multitasking benchmark, the Pentium D 920 actually won over the Athlon X2 3800 completing the task four seconds earlier.
    Last edited by maxweb; 01-16-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxweb
    Can you share with us where did you get your server?

In case you still care, I found these performance tests at Tom's Hardware, and yes, the P4 Dual Core 920 is slower than the Athlon X2 3800 in most tests, but not by that much. They are comparable machines. In SySoft Sandra's synthetic benchmark, the Athlon 64 X2 3800 does 17,237 vs 14,983 for the Pentium D 920.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5696/image006eo6.gif

By the way, does anybody know which of all the tests run by Tom's Hardware is the one that best approximates server performance? Is it applications, video, file compression, synthetic, which one? Because in the first multitasking benchmark, the Pentium D 920 actually won over the Athlon X2 3800 completing the task four seconds earlier.
    Sure, I got the server from Servstra, which is a LayeredTech reseller. They were running a special which doubled the RAM for free. It ended today though.

I checked other benchmarks links and I always check this Tom's Hardware benchmarks when deciding which processor to choose. I also had the same doubt about which task would be best compared to a webhosting, maybe I even inquired some forum about it. Unfortunelly I don't remember the answer nor if they ever replied. This time was easy though, the Athlon won on almost everything.