i dont quite understand the meaning of unmetered server

what does that mean, becuase i am going to make a online game,so i need a server for 1000 people playing games on my server,what kind of server i should have?
    thank you guys

Hi, unmetered means non metered, that's to say your host won't control your bw. However unmetered doesn't mean unlimited, remember that with 1mbps you can spend up to ~300GB of bw per month, so 10mbps unmetered has a limit of ~3000GB, 100mbps... 1gbps....

I dunno how to explain it better.

With 1000 people playing you'll need a powerfull server, I'm dunno too much about gaming servers, so I leave this for anyone who wanna answer you.

Greetings.

Remember that you're going to want to gage how much CPU/memory this game takes up per player and rent a server accordingly per the specs. This is probably as, if not more, important than the bandwidth. Now, if all of these people are playing java chess, that's a lot different from say...Counter-Strike or something. What kind of game do you have in mind?

thank you so much
    some dedicated server is shared with 100 Mbps Uplink Port Speed, some is privated.
    so,i just wandering, is unmetered server still shared with 100Mbps Uplink?

Yes, unless it states it's a dedicated connection

if your going to be using it for gaming stay away from shared unmetered offers! your pings will suck, 2-3TB bandwidth should do or a dedicated 10mbit

unmetered within reasons of course usually is the meaning

if your going to be using it for gaming stay away from shared unmetered offers! your pings will suck, 2-3TB bandwidth should do or a dedicated 10mbit
    That's incorrect...the fact that the bandwidth is shared really has nothing to do with your ping.

mihd,u mean u should get a a dedicated 10mbit server???do u know which company has some good servers?i did not find any in THEPLANET

mihd,u mean u should get a a dedicated 10mbit server???do u know which company has some good servers?i did not find any in THEPLANET
    What's your budget for this?

i dont know...around $500?

anybody has some good idea for a online game server which has 1000 people play with?

I assume this will be for a MMORPG style game in which case a shared unmetered connection is probably fine. In these style games ping really is not that big of an issue so the instabilities you can come across in a shared unmetered environment are not that evident.

In a mmorpg setup your biggest assets are going to be CPU and RAM, with RAM being the more important of the 2. See if you can get an accurate figure on what each player will take up before investing heavily in hardware. You could find yourself way under or way over what you will need

availnetworks,thank you
    i find one on theplanet,MatriXtreme Xeon dual 2.4GHz, 2048 MB RAM,2 x 120GB Hard Drive,but i just worry about the shared unmetered connection .Because somebody told me at least i should get a Decedicated 10Mbit server..

Quote Originally Posted by mihd

unmetered within reasons of course usually is the meaning
    I have a 10mb unmetered shared connection, my ping right now is 16ms

i dont know...around $500?
    you shouldnt have any problems finding a good deal with a budeget like that

I have a 10mb unmetered shared connection, my ping right now is 16ms
    lucky you
    my experiences with shared unmetered offers havent been great so far

Quote Originally Posted by mihd
    you shouldnt have any problems finding a good deal with a budeget like that
    do u have some suggestion ? what kind of server i should rent?