Newbie looking for starting advice

Oh yes. That's right, another newbie comes to town with questions. I am currently designing two sites both focusing on "arts/entertainment" but I have no idea where to host them. I have read through a number of posts and realized after a few hours that I should just create a post of my own.
    One website will be for my portfolio featuring various photography pieces and digital artwork. I expect it to start small and with relatively small traffic but foresee it growing in the next year. It would consist primarily of images with perhaps a few forums.
    The other website is for a band and will contain multimedia files such as audio clips and movie segments as well as some images and forums, potentially a sales portion.
    I confess that I do not really know what size disk space would be adequate nor do I know what my allowed bandwith should be.

Help? please?

The first thing that you have to do is work out a sufficient size of bandwidth and disk space, but I'd suggest most of the smallest web hosting packages offered by hosts would be sufficient for you to begin with.

As for suggestions, midphase and easycgi are mine. Once you decide on a host you like, have a quick search through the forums to ensure that it doesn't have a bad reputation.
    Top7Hosts.com - Hosting Chart for Top Shared Hosting Providers
    ArticleCake- The Ultimate Blog Resource

For starting I thing you can go for an entry level plan from some top hosts you will find on this forum. One of them is hostgator.

As your site grows in content and traffic, you always have a choice to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by chattympc
    Oh yes. That's right, another newbie comes to town with questions. I am currently designing two sites both focusing on "arts/entertainment" but I have no idea where to host them. I have read through a number of posts and realized after a few hours that I should just create a post of my own.
    One website will be for my portfolio featuring various photography pieces and digital artwork. I expect it to start small and with relatively small traffic but foresee it growing in the next year. It would consist primarily of images with perhaps a few forums.
    The other website is for a band and will contain multimedia files such as audio clips and movie segments as well as some images and forums, potentially a sales portion.
    I confess that I do not really know what size disk space would be adequate nor do I know what my allowed bandwith should be.

Help? please?
    I would recommend Precision Effect @ www.precisioneffect.com

Since you are a newbie, I think steve can help you get started
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

I agree with all the information that is posted above, but go for a small cheapo plan that suits your needs. Maybe start with Geocities to get a feel for creating a site and things like that.

Cheap + Reliable would be the way to go.

Try asmallorange.com

Reliable + Reasonable Prices.

Yeah, dont rush yourself into anything...check the prices out first and make sure they are reliable

I would suggest you just buy a big fat hosting packet so when your sites and business grows nothing stops you.

thank you!

hey all! thank you so much for your responses. i'm currently working through them! much appreciated

Hey chattympc, welcome to WHT! It's really quite easy, although time consuming, granted. Do your homework. Generally what we tell people here is to hang out here awhile, maybe check the offers section, and choose maybe half-dozen or so hosts you think will fit your needs. Search here and Google on each and ask questions and for reviews here. Also contact each host, this will tell you the types of responces and response times. Wind your list down till you find the one your comfortable with. Best of luck, I know there's plenty of hosts to choose from.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!