Executing app on dedicated game server

Ok, so I have this server application. Its for the game haloce for the pc and runs on a dedicated server I own. The application merely does some tricks to make running dev commands in game easier. Such as switching maps, managing players, managing the server. With the server Im renting I have ftp access and have uploaded the application to the dedicated server. Halo is a serverside game.

Now my problem is I dont know how to execute the application. I did not make the app it was given to me by someone who seems to be done with the internet. He use to run the app on his server but I dont know what he did to make it work. Im thinking he uploaded some kind of smaller app that, when triggered by something, executed the application.

My question is does anyone know what I might need to do to get this working? The halo community and I would love to see this working again but no one really knows what to do with it.

Oh and the server is windows.

Without seeing the application, I doubt anyone can give a helpful response to that.

What would you need to see? I dont feel good about giving out the source code as its not mine, but I can try to get what information you think you might need.

maybe remote in and trying executing it like you would on your own system?

How would I do that? Keep in mind the only way I can manipulate the server is through ftp.

I guess the real question here is: How do I execute an application on a remote server through ftp?
    Last edited by eyelevel; 01-14-2007 at 12:57 AM.

If you just have FTP, you can't do anything.

You'll need something like SSH to execute the file. It sounds like you don't have any sort of root access, which means you won't be able to run your game server.

But see the person who gave me this app use to run it on his game server and all he had was ftp access. I'd ask him how to do it if I could but he hasnt been online in a while. I know he used some kind of little trick. He told me in a conversation one day that he hid something on the server. Would something like a batch file work? Or seperate application that when triggered by something would execute the server app?

Depending on the ftp server being used, sometimes you can use a command EXEC. Maybe he started the app by typing "EXEC batchfile.bat" which started it? That's the only way I'm aware of executing commands via ftp. I would contact your dedicated provider and ask them for remote desktop access.

Im not familiar with the EXEC command so I did a little research and all I see is using it for Linux. The server I have is a windows server.

it sounds like sort of a webadmin application that uses login information from halopc in order to control the game remotely. It may not have to be executed at all, it could be like any normal web application and just have to be configured.

what is the program called, or is it completely unreleased/proprietary?

The program was made by an individual and is unreleased. It basically makes it so you can enter commands through halos chat window instead of the dev command box.

It does some other things to like, logs peoples names and links them all to the same hash. So for instance you could type /names and it would show all aliases a certain player has used in the server. Or you could type /tele playername xyz coordinate and it would teleport the player to the given position. Or /spd playername 9999 would make the player run super fast. Its not for cheating and only the admins, which is built into the program by logging their hash, can use it. Except for a few commands like /afk which would put the player in an afk mode where they dont spawn and therfore arent a burden to their team, can be used by all players. Though the admins can use any of the commands to give other players speed or teleport. Which is what usually happens. /spd * 9999 would give speed to all players in server.

Basically it makes server management much easier and also adds some fun new elements for 'stunt games'. Where there are no winners and you can just have fun manipulating the game engine.
    Last edited by eyelevel; 01-14-2007 at 03:08 PM.

is it an executable (.exe) or a library (.dll) that you could configure the game to load upon start up?

Do you rent the full dedicated server, or do you rent a gameserver, i.e. 30 slot CSS from a provider?

Rent it as a gameserver. 12 man halo server from provider.

Quote Originally Posted by eyelevel
    The program was made by an individual and is unreleased. It basically makes it so you can enter commands through halos chat window instead of the dev command box.

It does some other things to like, logs peoples names and links them all to the same hash. So for instance you could type /names and it would show all aliases a certain player has used in the server. Or you could type /tele playername xyz coordinate and it would teleport the player to the given position. Or /spd playername 9999 would make the player run super fast. Its not for cheating and only the admins, which is built into the program by logging their hash, can use it. Except for a few commands like /afk which would put the player in an afk mode where they dont spawn and therfore arent a burden to their team, can be used by all players. Though the admins can use any of the commands to give other players speed or teleport. Which is what usually happens. /spd * 9999 would give speed to all players in server.

Basically it makes server management much easier and also adds some fun new elements for 'stunt games'. Where there are no winners and you can just have fun manipulating the game engine.
    If you aren't willing to give people the information they need to help you, then don't ask for help. From the little information you have given us, it sounds like a mod that would be configured sort of like a counter-strike mod - like meta mod. If it truly is a proprietary piece of software with no documentation, you will be hard pressed to get it working yourself, or to find someone else to assist you.

Not willing to give information? Where do you see that? Ive answered every question that has been asked of me. If I have given to little of information Im sorry but I must clarify I dont know alot about this kind of stuff. I would just really like to get this app working but dont know what to do.

I think your missing the basic problem here though. The app will work fine, I just need to figure out how to execute it.

The question at hand is really kind of general and doesnt need to apply to the app individually.

Question being how do you execute an application on a remote server using ftp?

If you can't with EXEC, you just can't. Ask your GSP if they'll install it for you, otherwise, it won't work.

do you have a place where I can take a look at the files? I may be able to get it sorted for you

How do I use the EXEC thing? Ive been searching far and wide on google but dont see anywhere that really explains it. I uploaded the .bat file to the server now I just need to figure out these EXEC things.

I figured out a way to do it without using the EXEC command. This is really what I was looking for. Not anything to do with the app idividually but yet a clever trick that could be applied to a broad number of cases like this.

The trick merely invovled renaming the halo ce dedicated server application something besides itself. Then I wrote an application that launched the serverapp and the halo ce ded server app. I gave it the name of halo ce dedicated server application. Now when the provider started the file he thought was the normal server application he really started my custom app which launched the two apps i needed including the serverapp! Boom!

Not to shabby, eh?

Hehe. I must say thats a clever work around .