Question How can I fetch an entire website without using FTP?

Hello,

I want to move a client's website to a new server. Right now they're hosted with a terrible web host that doesn't allow access to files via FTP. How else can I retrieve the files? Am I able to somehow fetch the entire website like I'd fetch a single foreign website file?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

- Matt.

Hi Matt,

Does the hosting company offers some kind of Control Panel? such us cPanel or Plesk? If so find the File Manager, you can upload all files from there.

If not contact the hosting provider and ask them how in the world are you suppose to upload your website if there is not FTP and File Manager.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, they do have an online file manager, but it's so messed up that it isn't even funny. :-) But I did just do some looking after posting my question and was able to get to an area where I can see how the website is structured and download the HTM and image files. It may just work to go through route after all.

For future reference though, is there any way to fetch an entire website if needed?

SurfOffline will download the html, css, image files, flash and basically everything else that constucts the page.

You can download from:
    http://www.surfoffline.com/
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1041
    Hello,

I want to move a client's website to a new server. Right now they're hosted with a terrible web host that doesn't allow access to files via FTP. How else can I retrieve the files? Am I able to somehow fetch the entire website like I'd fetch a single foreign website file?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

- Matt.
    If the site is static, then use wget --mirror http://www.domain_to_copy.com

else,
    Download one file at a time
    Last edited by bear; 01-13-2007 at 09:35 PM.

And finally, start searching for another host, amazing that they don't offer FTP...
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

You people are geniuses. wget --mirror worked GREAT! I didn't know that command also worked for mirroring websites.

Coincidentally, I'm the new web host. :-) And I do offer FTP. And I'm a lot cheaper than $50 per month. Yes, client was getting screwed big time.

Wow, I didn't know about the --mirror flag. Thanks.

You people are geniuses. wget --mirror worked GREAT! I didn't know that command also worked for mirroring websites.

Coincidentally, I'm the new web host. :-) And I do offer FTP. And I'm a lot cheaper than $50 per month. Yes, client was getting screwed big time.
    np, I'm glad to have helped. I admin and code for a living, I must know everything.

Depends on your definition of screwing.

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition number 9. Opportunity plus instinct equals profit.
    Last edited by tsumelabs; 01-13-2007 at 10:32 PM.

I'm lazy, so I use wget -m, the shorter form.

Another way to do without ftp is to tar and gzip, or zip the directories and download the file.
    This way, you get .htaccess, password file, and scripts and all other junks, as well.

Except this particular web host didn't have command line access either. It was pretty bad. :-) They must have some really, really confused customers!

Except this particular web host didn't have command line access either. It was pretty bad. :-) They must have some really, really confused customers!
    You don't need telnet nor ssh.
    You can do all these with scripts, supposing you can upload a file or two to the host.

There's only a small caviat to using wget I discovered. It only grabs the files from links it can read. I noticed some Javascript embedded images didn't transfer over, but they were easy enough to download individually and then manually upload myself.

Don't forget any mySQL or related databases.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available