Thread: PC Tempatures

PC Tempatures

I just received this in the mail: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=TC3J-4501

Took about an hour to switch everything from my old case to the new one (took an hour due to cleaning out the dust.) The LCD has 3 temperature sensors... One for the CPU, HDD, and the VGA. Now... I don't have a VGA, I use the on board (I'm not a gamer). I placed the HDD on hda and the VGA sensor on hdb. Now I'm confused about the CPU temperature sensor... I placed it on my heat sink, as that's the only place where I know to put it... Is this right? There were no directions, and this is my first external temp gauge. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Also, if that is where you put the CPU temperature sensor, is 68 F a decent temperature? The gauge says its between LO and MI. Not sure if I can trust it, so I'd like some opinions of some of the WHT members!

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamMan
    Edit: Also, if that is where you put the CPU temperature sensor, is 68 F a decent temperature? T
    What kind of CPU do you have.

Also take any of those temps with a grain a salt. The only true way to get a temp is with a thermal probe or the bios.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

Quote Originally Posted by damier
    What kind of CPU do you have.

Also take any of those temps with a grain a salt. The only true way to get a temp is with a thermal probe or the bios.
    I have a PIII. Lets just to say that these temperatures are correct, and maybe even off a few degrees ... What's the safe limit?

Precisely
    There are but 2 ways to tell this
    A> with the board itself
    B> with a probe.

Better yet, this begs the question what DOES the system do when the temperature is too hot or cold? All that is is a pretty case which tells you something. Would be better if it were a controller of some kind which allowed you to regulate fans based on the temperature.

A couple weeks back, I ran into issues where my LGA775 was running between 120-180 constantly (F) . Obviously this wasn't good for the poor processor and flooded the thing. Thankfully, I got it addressed. Took it into the shop, had the CPU fan switched out (the only thing I won't touch on my own PC), and it's now running around 1/2 that. The culprit? my cats!!! Hair, bah!
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

It is a pretty case, right?! My computer runs the same at any temp, probably because it never gets hot enough to cause problems... Still no one has told me where to put these flat temperature sensors though... Also, who's to say these sensors aren't right?

**sigh**
    You guys and your temperature readings. When I build a system, I check to make sure the temps are OK the first few days it's running. After that, I never look at them again.

68F is the reading? No way.

As long as you are under 60 or 65C, which is about 140 degrees, you're fine. I just installed the software to check my computer and it says 50C. First time I've looked in two years.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

It says 21.2 C now... I have the sensor on the heat sink though... I'll stick it in between the CPU and the block and you guys can tell me which will work better, more accurate etc... *Grabs the camera*

For AMDs, maximum die temps are 80C. You'll fry your chip at those temps.

My old Socket A 3200 barton ran at 51C 100% load 24/7.
    My current 939 X2 4400 runs at 42C full load 24/7.

The only way to get the true die temp is get an app that can read the thermo diode built into the CPU wafer itself (not the socket probe as most BIOS report as CPU). The BIOS usually uses some other algorithim to get a close temp or just uses the themistor below or inside the CPU socket, so you'll find the temp in BIOS is sometimes off compared to the actual chip temp.

DO NOT put anything but thermal grease between the CPU & cooler. I find that those temp probes included on cases like those are fairly useless, but I stick them as close to the chip die (on socket As), or just epoxy them onto the side of the chip (939s). This will give me the temp of the heatsink.

My heatsink (well, waterblock) is 29.1C according to a lame temp probe I just setup... It controls a few of my high CFM fans, so its pretty helpful.

I attached an inside photo of the case. Excuse the wires, it's a temp PSU till I buy my new one. If you can see from the poor camera, I placed the one sensor between the CPU and the block. It's now reading at 77 F / 25.1 C with a few browser tabs running, but mostly at idle... I have it up to 83 F / 28.5 C running Prime95... What's the safe limit before I should kill Prime95 or will Prime95 just stop itself? Also, is where I put the CPU sensor a better place than where I had it on the block itself?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image006mq6.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by MGCJerry
    For AMDs, maximum die temps are 80C. You'll fry your chip at those temps.

My old Socket A 3200 barton ran at 51C 100% load 24/7.
    My current 939 X2 4400 runs at 42C full load 24/7.

The only way to get the true die temp is get an app that can read the thermo diode built into the CPU wafer itself (not the socket probe as most BIOS report as CPU). The BIOS usually uses some other algorithim to get a close temp or just uses the themistor below or inside the CPU socket, so you'll find the temp in BIOS is sometimes off compared to the actual chip temp.

DO NOT put anything but thermal grease between the CPU & cooler. I find that those temp probes included on cases like those are fairly useless, but I stick them as close to the chip die (on socket As), or just epoxy them onto the side of the chip (939s). This will give me the temp of the heatsink.

My heatsink (well, waterblock) is 29.1C according to a lame temp probe I just setup... It controls a few of my high CFM fans, so its pretty helpful.

The thermal paste isnt being effected by the way I have it setup... If anything, I lost 3/16" contact from CPU to block...