Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,028

    [NEED] Moving hosting from GoDaddy to cPanel

    Hello,

    I have a client of ours that is currently hosted with GoDaddy and is running into all kinds of problems when he tries to run his website. We've decided to move him from GoDaddy to our new cpanel/whm server but unfortunately I'm not sure of the quickest / easiest way to do with while minimizing downtime.

    I have his domain, hosting and database login details.

    Is anyone available to assist me with this TONIGHT?

    Obviously this is a paid job.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    30
    Please contact us we're available to get it done for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8support
    Please contact us we're available to get it done for you.
    Hello, thank you for responding back. I'm currently speaking with a company who feels they can do this for me. If anything happens I'll be sure to get in contact with you asap.

    Thanks again.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    911

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    556
    If done right, there should be no downtime, period.

    Thread Starter: Has this job been completed?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    503
    LOL...there is always some downtime when there is an IP change...because the DNS has to update.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    2,381
    Wrong frozenhost - It is completely and totally possible to do a seamless migration across servers. Move files and databases to new server, THEN update the DNS and you will experience no downtime what-so-ever.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,686
    It is completely and totally possible to do a seamless migration across servers.
    Incorrect
    Move files and databases to new server, THEN update the DNS and you will experience no downtime what-so-ever.
    This will certainly HELP matters, but it will not ensure a seamless migration from server a to server b. I'm not saying this is the improper way to do things, because typically this IS what I do. However, there are issues with this that flat out will come up.

    For example, NOT all DNS servers rely on direct queries. Many larger ISP's rely on cached information. How long they cache this information is completely up to the ISP itself. Some will cache it for 24 hours, some will cache it for 48, others will cache it for much, much longer (I've seen it cached up to 2 weeks).

    Secondly, proxy servers (what a good number of individuals use) do the same thing. To save from server abuse, they tend to cache dns for much longer.

    You are correct that this will work for many, however, even just changing the dns won't guarantee that will work properly. This can STILL take 2-24 hours to change depending on the host and environment you're using, and IF you're using a lot of SQL queries, this can be a lifetime.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    556
    That's is why you mirror the databases and mirror any new and updated pages on both servers for so long till you are sure all requests are sent to the new server. It is possible for a seamless integration.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,686
    Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamMan
    That's is why you mirror the databases and mirror any new and updated pages on both servers for so long till you are sure all requests are sent to the new server. It is possible for a seamless integration.
    Again, that is not the answer
    The answer is NO, it's not possible to put together a 100% seamless move from server A to server B.

    Please stop trying to state that it IS possible to do something that it is not. I have years of experience of doing this, I've moved MY OWN servers countless times, and I know what I'm talking about here.

    There ARE ways to make this transition more seamless, and take as little timie as possible, however, you're still going to have dns issues for the first 24 hours or so. Depending on your own dns, the site will bounce from server a to server b back to server a and again to server b during this time. This is natural, and there's nothing, no matter what anyone says, that can be done to prevent it. This is WHY experts recommend planning at least 1-2 weeks for these types of transitions.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    556
    DNS issues? Your saying that if you were to live mirror the same content on both servers, if it bounced back to server A it wouldn't have the same content for the user requesting it? It would be the same content... I'm not saying this method would take the shortest time... It would probably be take the longest, but would be seamless...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    2,381
    That's exactly what I was saying too IceCreamMan...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    2,449
    You only mirror any page changes. For the database you simply allow the user access from the IP of the old server then change the configuration files to access the database server on the new server.

    This way you eliminate problems of trying to mirror database changes across two servers.

    Doing it this way and then simply making sure any changed pages are reflected on both servers the migration would appear seamless to any end users visiting the site during the time the DNS is updating.

    Also, if you are doing a full server migration you can do port forwarding to the new server while waiting for DNS to update so that Mail, database, etc... all pull from the new server.

    You can also update DNS on the old server to point to the new server in order to further facilitate a faster migration.

    There are ways to make a move appear seamless to the end user. It all depends on the tools you use.
    Last edited by KNL-BSW; 01-14-2007 at 02:30 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,686
    There are ways to make a move appear seamless to the end user. It all depends on the tools you use.
    Correct, and incorrect.
    Let's take my case for example:
    In my case, the transition seems (to me) to work, only because I use custom DNS servers and the like.
    however, if I were to use my ISP's nameservers, this would still be a 24-48 hour delay. This is VERY COMMON among larger ISP's, because they (again) cache dns results for a definitive amount of time.

    Since you have no controls over your ISP, or John Doe's ISP, then you're never going to have a fully seamless transition.

    Larry is right in not using "mirror" techniques. For most sql data, you can simply tell the server to put the sql data on the NEW server, its not that hard, but are you going to do this for ALL of your customers? Could be just a little bit time consuming.

    The point is that any server move will take time, and will never, ever, ever be "seamless". Oh, sure, you can fake it, but you can NOT force individuals to adjust their cache time for you. Again, this is why any professional recommends a good 1-2 week transition period.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    2,449
    If you mirror page changes across both accounts, using a single SQL database on the new account then "IT IS SEAMLESS TO THE END USER".

    Simply because they will not ever see the move. The "ONLY" reason they would see the move is if you were to shut down the old account prior to waiting the 5 to 7 days it "CAN" take for DNS to update.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    13,290
    Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Correct, and incorrect.
    Let's take my case for example:
    In my case, the transition seems (to me) to work, only because I use custom DNS servers and the like.
    however, if I were to use my ISP's nameservers, this would still be a 24-48 hour delay. This is VERY COMMON among larger ISP's, because they (again) cache dns results for a definitive amount of time.

    Since you have no controls over your ISP, or John Doe's ISP, then you're never going to have a fully seamless transition.

    Larry is right in not using "mirror" techniques. For most sql data, you can simply tell the server to put the sql data on the NEW server, its not that hard, but are you going to do this for ALL of your customers? Could be just a little bit time consuming.

    The point is that any server move will take time, and will never, ever, ever be "seamless". Oh, sure, you can fake it, but you can NOT force individuals to adjust their cache time for you. Again, this is why any professional recommends a good 1-2 week transition period.

    Get your facts right
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...2&postcount=78
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...5&postcount=82

    I've done this countless times before, and every single time the change is instantaneous. I'm not talking 2/3 times, I'm talking 20-30 times , with the change catching up to me within an hour instantly. In fact, I just pulled this off again, less than 2 weeks ago, and the turnaround was, well, better than average.

    Which one is it? stop changing your story. first you start out with it being seemless and now you are saying its not?

    In the prior posts you say its 1 hour max and now its 24-48..
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Get your facts right
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...2&postcount=78
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...5&postcount=82




    Which one is it? stop changing your story. first you start out with it being seemless and now you are saying its not?

    In the prior posts you say its 1 hour max and now its 24-48..
    haha, yeah I remember he was trying to say I was wrong in the posts you linked, now he's just saying the same thing I said

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    556
    So point being... It is possible to do a seamless integration?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,028
    lol, well didn't that turn into quite the conversation hehhee. Yeah the job is completed and I'm extremely pleased. I ended up using http://www.hostechsupport.com/ and would highly recommend!!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Get your facts right
    Which one is it? stop changing your story. first you start out with it being seemless and now you are saying its not?
    Let's see here. 1-2 years ago. Shall I go through and dig up times you've changed opinions on things, or mistakes you've made in that time? Naaah. Unlike you, I don't see the point in trying to trash competition.

    People are entitled to change their mind, end of statement. You're saying that you've NEVER changed your opinion on anything, or even made a mistake? I'm sure you know full well that I could give examples of those .


    In the prior posts you say its 1 hour max and now its 24-48..
    And, over a year individuals can't change ISP's, or those said ISP's can't drastically reduce quality of service? Believe me, they CAN!
    Also, it's good to note that just because a change STARTS in an hour doesn't mean it is permament in an hour. Hence, again, the problems with ISP's controlling DNS. I've seen DNS changes start in an hour and bounce between the two servers for 1-2 days, even WHEN syncing records. Again, this is typical.

    I'm not stating that caching is RIGHT, I'm stating that various providers (TW/AOL, many others) have this policy. This is ESPECIALLY common in non U.S. countries.

    If you mirror page changes across both accounts, using a single SQL database on the new account then "IT IS SEAMLESS TO THE END USER".
    Follow the thread in the link Steven just gave Larry, you'll see PRECISELY why it's not going to be "seamless". MAJOR ISP's cache data, and they don't query the data every time a lookup is done, they recycle cache data ON THEIR OWN TERMS. With roadrunner (TW/AOL), this can be 1-2 days, with others, I've seen it take up to 2 weeks.

    I've never stated that seamless transitions are possible, theoretically it's IMPOSSIBLE until individuals stop attempting to cache data they shouldn't be. Once they do that, hey, it'll all be well and seamless.


    Making an "instant transition" IS possible, don't get me wrong. However, making it so that the rest of the world sees it as an "instant transition" is not possible. Various ISP's cache DNS for various levels of time, from 1 hour to 2 weeks (and in some cases longer). Using IPtables might help that along a bit, but it'd still be messy, especially in larger moves, as you'd have to forward ip addresses precisely as they are (for clients with ded ips), and this can be tricky.

    If you want an "instant transition", all you have to do is
    Copy sites over
    Update DNS on old
    Restart DNS
    set your LOCAL dns resolvers to point to either the old, or the new server.
    Of course, most won't have the knowledge to do that, and this won't have a "global" affect, it will just affect those who do that. The rest of the world has to wait for their ISP to catch up.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    13,290
    Tom the point is people were saying the exact thing you said just said, 1-2 years ago and you were telling them they were wrong. And now you are saying what they were trying to tell you.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •