Windows Home Server - it look interesting.

I guess it might be cool for those with an x-box and zune... as for me, if I needed a server, I would go for linux ubuntu... sorry MS.

Although, in real life, I would do what I do now, simply setup a windows xp box as a "server" and host my files. I was using my mac mini for this task until a relative needed a computer, so the mac mini went away for a while.

I have several computers and using windows xp or mac os x works fine.

Now this could be a boon for small business...

Maybe someone will point out something I am missing for home use.... some "killer app," if you will.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Microsoft will provide WHS customers with a handy IP address via Windows Live Domains to make this as simple as possible.
    I wonder how much that will cost.

With all the work we do to secure web servers and all the attacks we routinely get, can we really expect Microsoft to create a home server to the 'net exposing all our personal data?
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    I wonder how much that will cost.

With all the work we do to secure web servers and all the attacks we routinely get, can we really expect Microsoft to create a home server to the 'net exposing all our personal data?
    I would guess this would come in around $600 to $1000, depending on the config. My base is the HP media server which is around $350 to $550 (depending on the config).

I doubt this will be any less secure than a pc. Actually, it should be more secure since you don't have idiots downloading, installing and testing software on the thing.

And, of course, you *should* have some type of firewall setup where your computer connects to the outside world (on your router, not just on your computer).... plus, the server will come with a firewall as well.

dude going ms 2003 server edition is ok, but i prefer centos

i own a 2003 server edition comp and it took out about 5000$ out of my pocket

not very nice

The server combination used by more than 65% of the world:
    FreeBSD with Apache: $0
    Priceless
    But it works in IE!

i think you guys missed the point. the Windows home server is intend for none geek everyday folks. it's the next step after the Windows Media Center and it make sense for them to release something like this. the average home users doesn't even know what IP is let along to configure a server to work on the net. if MS going to release a Home server for consumers. it will have to be idiot proof.

how come OSS didn't come up with this already? how come no one build an idiot proof home server on top of Linux or FreeBSD with Apache already?

"The server combination used by more than 65% of the world:
    FreeBSD with Apache: $0
    Priceless"

it's not for business use and if you want to mock MS for it then you should think about how come there is no OSS home server that average users can use. after all, isn't OSS suppose to be more creativte than MS? Why no company want to market an OSS based home server?
    Last edited by jt2377; 01-13-2007 at 11:42 PM.

the Windows home server is intend for none geek everyday folks.
    Not necessarily. From the article:
    Microsoft feels like it's arrived at an interface that is simple enough "even for mom" while being powerful enough for even the most jaded power user.
    the average home users doesn't even know what IP is let along to configure a server to work on the net.
    Then how would they even know they want a server on the internet?
    how come no one build an idiot proof home server on top of Linux or FreeBSD with Apache already?
    Because those powerful systems aren't for idiots and idiots shouldn't have servers on the internet.
    if you want to mock MS for it then you should think about how come there is no OSS home server that average users can use.
    There is no commercial one on the market either so don't fault open source. Microsoft has not brought theirs out yet so we'll have to see what it's like IF it comes out. It's not here yet.

Do you really think the average Joe is going to dish out $600 or more for a server so they can put all their home computers on the internet plus manage that, no matter how simple Microsoft makes it?

I'll repeat my post above, I wouldn't trust Microsoft exposing all my computers on the internet.
    But it works in IE!

Not necessarily. From the article:Then how would they even know they want a server on the internet?
    From what I read, MS is basically building a home networking system... what part of internet do you get from that? Far as shared on the net, you can do that now, with any number of products. Heck, go to my pc can do that. MS's solution should be better than that.

Because those powerful systems aren't for idiots and idiots shouldn't have servers on the internet.There is no commercial one on the market either so don't fault open source. Microsoft has not brought theirs out yet so we'll have to see what it's like IF it comes out. It's not here yet.

Do you really think the average Joe is going to dish out $600 or more for a server so they can put all their home computers on the internet plus manage that, no matter how simple Microsoft makes it?

I'll repeat my post above, I wouldn't trust Microsoft exposing all my computers on the internet.
    How is that going to happen?

This seems to be for backup and sharing of data... I think you are confused with the type of simple "server" machine that MS is trying to off-load on consumers.

I built a Windows server in my house to network five or so computers I had.... it was great, but at the end I did not see a need for it... heck, I could do the same function with a windows xp machine (well most anyway, for what I needed).

I do agree that the average joe does not need this... but will some people think it is a great idea? Yea... some people will fall-over to get one.... when all they really need is a HP storage solution.

Far as open source, I will use a linux solution only to test and for fun.... but not for any *real* use. The open source movement, as many others have mentioned, has failed to make their products easy to use. It is sad, but true.... Heck it might be better for the average joe to use a simple solution from MS rather than trying to make a linux server work...

I'm still not getting how MS is going to "expose" all your computers to the internet.
    Last edited by hekwu; 01-14-2007 at 02:21 AM.

Not necessarily. From the article:Then how would they even know they want a server on the internet?Because those powerful systems aren't for idiots and idiots shouldn't have servers on the internet.There is no commercial one on the market either so don't fault open source. Microsoft has not brought theirs out yet so we'll have to see what it's like IF it comes out. It's not here yet.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=270965

go watch the video on Windows Home server to get a clear idea on what MS plan to do.

I don't think you get it at all. MS is marketing it like an appliance. NOT server like Businese server. Nor will it do any businese server tasks.

edit: $600 for a Home server is about the same price as Apple iPhone.
    Last edited by jt2377; 01-14-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    From what I read, MS is basically building a home networking system... what part of internet do you get from that? Far as shared on the net, you can do that now, with any number of products. Heck, go to my pc can do that. MS's solution should be better than that.

How is that going to happen?

This seems to be for backup and sharing of data... I think you are confused with the type of simple "server" machine that MS is trying to off-load on consumers.

I built a Windows server in my house to network five or so computers I had.... it was great, but at the end I did not see a need for it... heck, I could do the same function with a windows xp machine (well most anyway, for what I needed).

I do agree that the average joe does not need this... but will some people think it is a great idea? Yea... some people will fall-over to get one.... when all they really need is a HP storage solution.

Far as open source, I will use a linux solution only to test and for fun.... but not for any *real* use. The open source movement, as many others have mentioned, has failed to make their products easy to use. It is sad, but true.... Heck it might be better for the average joe to use a simple solution from MS rather than trying to make a linux server work...

I'm still not getting how MS is going to "expose" all your computers to the internet.
    you're correct. i don't think MS is going to market it like a real server but rather an appliance like your TV for simple tasks like backup, networking...etc. if MS pull this off, they can easily own the living room with Media Center, Xbox360, Windows PC.

i wonder if Apple can make a go on Apple Home server.

Is the host on drugs?

Also, people that say like and you know every other word irritate me.
    Last edited by cywkevin; 01-14-2007 at 06:19 AM.

http://on10.net/Blogs/jesse/windows-...ify-your-life/

The above is a real demo....

I might have to reconsider this product... it might not only be cool but something that I could use to save some time.... The only issue I have is how to backup the server... I guess they make that easy somehow. I would need some type of way to backup the server to take with me in case the house goes up in smoke.