Getting a big broadband connection?

Currently I'm getting hassle off my ISP for the amount of downloading I do and also I want to setup my own web server at home, could anyone tell me where you go to get a type of connection which web hosting companies use?

The biggest sized connection available here to private home users at the moment is 8mb download/400kb/s upload which is on a DSL connection.

What if you wanted say 25mb download and 25mb upload, where would you go?

This would have to be done via a normal house phone DSL connection, does this make it impossible?

If so what would I need to do?

Thanks everyone!
    Sig free forever.

A residential ISP won't supply you with 25mbits upload. You can look into getting a DS3 which you can go for fractional or do the full ~ 45mbits both ways - but that will cost a lot more than if you just went colo...so that would defeat the purpose

What do you mean by 'colo'?
    Sig free forever.

colo

Quote Originally Posted by Swerve1000
    What do you mean by 'colo'?
    Colo = Co-location, means you take a machine of yours into a Data Center and they will provide electricity and bandwidth for you
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com

You could go with a T1, but you're looking at $500/month easy, and anywhere from $200 to $2000 for setup.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

As stated previously most companies won't supply a resident with such bandwidth unless: A. You have Verizon for your phone company B. You have a cable provider to get internet from.

Both can supply with the bandwidth you are looking for. If your lucky Verizon may even have FIOS in your area, which is very cheap and you get alot of speed out of it. I would suggest you call back to your local internet providers and tell them to transfer you to the commercial department, then you will be able to get what you want for sure.

Good Luck!

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    You could go with a T1, but you're looking at $500/month easy, and anywhere from $200 to $2000 for setup.
    Isn't a T1 only about 1.544Mbits per second? I get about 5Mbits from RR...

^^ Yes. But it's business-grade, always-on, etc, etc....if you truly want to know, I could go into great detail on the benefits.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Thanks, but my RR is "always on" as well (not so good on uploads, but adequate). I'm sure it has it's benefits, though he was asking about 25Mbits and $500+ a month seems a bit much.

If you're really serious speak to the main telcos like BT and NTL. With BT you can get SDSL which would give you a few Mbit upload but over the copper lines installed you won't see much faster. If you can get NTL/Telewest cable you have a better chance of getting a faster connection put in. But I'm sure once you see the costs you will think again

With your RR I'm sure there is a contention ratio, plus there is no guaranteed uptime. With a leased line you would be looking at a decent SLA and guaranteed bandwidth.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Isn't a T1 only about 1.544Mbits per second? I get about 5Mbits from RR...
    Yes it is 1.5Mbps however your dealing with the difference between a dedicated circuit and a shared cable line.

He definitely wouldn't get any heat from his local carrier for saturating his dedicated T1 line.
    Thomas Brenneke | Network Redux, LLC | http://www.networkredux.com
    Proud sponsors of the SimpleMachines ImageMagick and AdiumX projects.

Thought Swerve had DSL which is not shared... at least mine is not.
    With DSL it all depends on how far you are away from that CO.

Now.. with you wanting to setup your own web server at home your visitors are not going to get a lot of great response since they are on the low side of your connection. (like you doing uploads all the time.)

As far as uptime goes my DSL has been down 4 days in 5 years.
    2 days were due to my dsl modem going on the fritz and the other two were due to some moisture in a cabinet down near the co and a creek.
    Both on weekends.

25Mbits? Expect to pay $1200/month, even in a datacenter. A DS3 line will be 3 or 4 times as much.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun