Thread: wildcard dns?

wildcard dns?

Hi

I bulk register .com names for future use, and out of all the ones I use, only about 30 have actual sites, whilst I have about 200 that are just not doing anything.

I have seen places like godaddy who whatever website people visit just gets fowarded to a landing page, and I have set it up so the nameservers all foward to my dns servers (I manage my own infrastructure).

I have seen through IIS it is possible to have a "catch all" website where any traffic goes there, however, how do I set this up in DNS?

I tried creating a zone called .com but that didnt work! and I really dont know what I should do!

Thanks

You can set wildcard entries in DNS zone file similiar to the following:

* 14400 IN IPaddress

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    You can set wildcard entries in DNS zone file similiar to the following:

* 14400 IN IPaddress
    In bind 9, it'd be:

*.domain.com. IN A 123.123.123.123

Then in your httpd.conf, add *.domain.com in the ServerAlias field.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    In bind 9, it'd be:

*.domain.com. IN A 123.123.123.123

Then in your httpd.conf, add *.domain.com in the ServerAlias field.
    He is using windows server . Give * to the "name" field of the DNS and IP address in the "IP address" field would help.

yeah, I am using windows server, I needed to host asp.net for a few of the sites, so it made sense.

I am not sure that I have done everything the most efficent way, When I registered all the .com names, I registered one domain that does nothing apart from host nameservers to my ip address, and all other domains I own refear to these nameservers.

for each .com, I create a zone called domainname.com and then the a record to the ip address, on that server I create a new site with host header to the ip address.

really, I suppose one dns record for everything fowarding to the web server is enough! but I would rather have the ability to have individual zones as this allows me to do things in the future such as create sub domains on a per domain basis, I really want to have zones for domains in use, and seporate single zone for ones not in use.

Anyway, also, when I do create a zone to make a temporary site "live", it sometimes takes ages to update and let people actually live on it, is this the TTL?

Lastly, for the advice above... is that a reverse lookup zone you are talking about? I am a bit confused about how I should implement this.

Thanks

ok, well, over the past day, I have been experimenting a lot, and it looks like instead of creating a zone for each and every site, I should of created one zone for com and a seporate domain for each domain I want to have a site for.

I was wondering if anyone knows about what entry takes priority?

If I create a com zone, will existing entrys use their own or use the com one instead?

basically, I am trying to work out if I should start from now on with the com zone, or if I need to convert all the ones I have already done.

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a weird one...

What i think is create a dns zone as linuxcares' instruction
    If your server has a default website, all domains resolved to the server will return default page.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise