Free forum software?

Hello everyone.
    I'm going to create forum. But I haven't money enough to get paid one.
    What free forum software can you recomend?

I would recommend phpbb forum. Not as good as commercial forums though.

Thanks for suggestion. Is it easy to install it?

Are you using any control panel like Cpanel? If so, it can be installed with 2-3 clicks.Otherwise, you have to manually download its tarball and install. Its a simple procedure and its instructions would be there in its INSTALL file.

Also, have a look on SMF forums that can be downloaded for free from http://www.simplemachines.org/

Ok. Thanks again. I will check them out.

SimpleMachines.org is much better than phpbb. Give them a try first.

Try MyBB. It has more professional looking

http://www.mybboard.com/
    Kind regards

Quote Originally Posted by cyberturk
    Try MyBB. It has more professional looking

http://www.mybboard.com/
    Thanks. Is it difficult to install. If you have - please share your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MTempster
    Thanks. Is it difficult to install. If you have - please share your experience.
    No, it is not difficult to install also you can find documentation on its forums. It has an install script oly you needto create a database manually and you can find how to create it on this link
    Kind regards

i recommend smf. webinstall means installation takes like 2 minutes.

Phpbb is still the most widely used free forum software !!

i like ipb though but its a licensed software !!

Quote Originally Posted by ize_linuxboy
    Phpbb is still the most widely used free forum software !!

i like ipb though but its a licensed software !!
    Yes it is widely used, in turn PHPBB has one of the most horrendous track records of vulnerabilities of PHP applications on the open source market.

I would second (or third?) the recommendation for Simple Machines Forum.
    Thomas Brenneke | Network Redux, LLC | http://www.networkredux.com
    • Proud sponsors of the SimpleMachines ImageMagick and AdiumX projects.

PHPbb is my personal favorite, SMF is ok, but YaBB is a really really nice free forum.

I had used both phpbb and smf, it makes not much different to me.
    I am happy with both.

phpBB is a security disaster and needs frequent urgent updates. If I was a newbie, knowing what I know, no way would I run it on my servers. I've actually removed it from Fantastico for that very reason on my servers.

SMF - aka www.simplemachines.org - is a much better option. While not as popular it has much more modular design and can be easily upgraded with only a few clicks if a security problem comes out, and modules can easily be added.

Hopefully phpBB will come out with something similar soon (ie an ability to upgrade easily from within phpBB) but at the moment they're just hopeless. Avoid them like the plague.

my vote also goes to phpbb
    granted, it may not be as good as vb or ipb, but it is easy to use and has lots of skins/hacks out there for it. easy install process too.

Eh i still use phpbb on one site but its a pain in the *** when it comes to fighting spam bots even if you turn on the captcha and email validation. Also its limited in features and if you add new features be prepared to spend hours reinstalling those features if you have to do an update.

SMF rocks. I've been using if for a couple of years now and love it. Its comes with quite a few default features missing in phpbb. Also new features are written as plugins so you dont have to "usually" worry about screwing something up after an upgrade. The forum upgrades are also done automatically.

I do get a spam bot once in a while but that sonly if I have an open registration set up. If I set up captcha and email validation I dont get any spam bots. Thats not to say this will be so once SMF get more popular.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Try out a few different ones such as phpBB and SMF and see which one you like using best.