Thread: right place ?

right place ?

hello all.

I'm looking for the comfort of a reseller account combined with the privacy of a VPS. I'd expect mail headers and errors etc. to show my server and not that of my supplier. However, I'd prefer that all maintenance etc. works like with a reseller account.
    Call it a reseller account with a 'managed' or a 'private' server identity, if you wish.
    Is there such a thing ?
    If I asked the right thing in the right place, could anyone please post some links ?

thanks
    d

If you want mail headers and errors etc. to show your own hosting company, a reseller account won't help. Instead, you have to go for a VPS/Dedicated server.

However, I'd prefer that all maintenance etc. works like with a reseller account. Call it a reseller account with a 'managed' or a 'private' server identity, if you wish.
    Go for a fully-managed VPS provider so that you can relax and control your clients the same as you are doing with the reseller account.

Quote Originally Posted by doonee
    hello all.

I'm looking for the comfort of a reseller account combined with the privacy of a VPS. I'd expect mail headers and errors etc. to show my server and not that of my supplier. However, I'd prefer that all maintenance etc. works like with a reseller account.
    Call it a reseller account with a 'managed' or a 'private' server identity, if you wish.
    Is there such a thing ?
    If I asked the right thing in the right place, could anyone please post some links ?

thanks
    d
    Hi doonee,

If you sign up with a true "fully managed" VPS provider (not any of the "managed" providers that are only offering reactive or "semi-managed" services), you could probably end up with the privacy/feel of your own server, yet the "comfort" of a reseller account. With a truly truly managed server, you shouldn't even need root access, just like with a reseller account - yet the entire VPS would still be dedicated solely to you, and the maintenance, security, updates, etc. would be handled completely by your provider.

Please note that a true pro-actively managed VPS plan, which would give you the feel of a reseller plan, will probably cost a bit more than your average semi-managed or unmanaged plans. Make sure to take some time and research all of your options before signing up with anyone - good luck!
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

As the others indicated, a fully managed VPS would be suitable for your needs. Before you order, make sure to ask whether they will really do everything for you, so you can treat the account like a reseller account, or whether there's any management that you have to do yourself. It's important to ask this, because every provider's definition of "fully managed" is different.

Thanks guys !

linuxcares:
    If you want mail headers and errors etc. to show your own hosting company, a reseller account won't help. Instead, you have to go for a VPS/Dedicated server.
    Yep, thats the main concern, actually. For the rest, a reseller account is just fine. I take it then that a reseller account that can do that does not exist ?
    Just to make sure: there's no such thing as an optional add-on or module which could be installed for a reseller account to be doing just that ?

Brendan:
    With a truly truly managed server, you shouldn't even need root access, just like with a reseller account - yet the entire VPS would still be dedicated solely to you, and the maintenance, security, updates, etc. would be handled completely by your provider.
    yes, thats what I meant.

Brendan:
    ...note that a true pro-actively managed VPS plan, which would give you the feel of a reseller plan, will probably cost a bit more than your average semi-managed or unmanaged plans.
    I guess that would be just fair.
    Whats the appropiate term(s) for such a 'truly truly managed' or 'true pro-actively managed' VPS when looking around for it ?

Apoc:
    ... make sure to ask whether they will really do everything for you, so you can treat the account like a reseller account, or whether there's any management that you have to do yourself. It's important to ask this, because every provider's definition of "fully managed" is different.
    Ok. Again, is there any terminology besides 'fully managed VPS'. ?

Thanks for the info.
    Good luck to you too !
    rgds
    d

Just to make sure: there's no such thing as an optional add-on or module which could be installed for a reseller account to be doing just that ?
    No, there is no modules/add-ons for that.

There are a few Managed VPS providers in both Europe and US who regularly posts on this forum.. do a search for them and call them for a chat.
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com

Hello,

Like the others indicated, a fully managed VPS would be suitable for your needs. but you will need to pay a bit more for a VPS then a reseller account. and look in the VPS Hosting Offers Forum

Mike

I suppose you guys are taking from experience.
    Since you understood what I'm looking for, would you mind dropping a few names to get me started. ?

rgds/thnks
    d

Hello,

We have one server with SLHost.com and i can say we love the support fast setup and for a good price too have a look.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

I already did. Their offers had indeed caught my eye when reading through the VPS Hosting Offers .

Would you guys say their service could offer me the 'feel' of a reseller account ?
    Any else one has used their service ?

Best regards
    d

-edit: added q-
    Last edited by doonee; 01-13-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Hello,

I would email them about your needs and they should tell you all about it. i love it here.

Mike

I did.
    Last night infact, and there was no reply as yet.

hum, ~24 h went by, and no reply from sales (info-@-slhost)
    neither from Josh.
    anyone with an idea ?
    rgds
    d

Hmm maybe try sales@slhost.com ?

Mike

Hi doonee ... What is the email address you're trying to contact us from or what is your name if you can please PM me? I get emails constantly and reply to them all as quickly as possible, but I don't see any email in my inbox right now that haven't been replied to. Also, there are no emails in the info@ queue where the client hasn't replied to our reply, so I'm assuming none of those are from yourself.

tried admin@ sales@ support@ info@
    nogo..
    ill check on sales@ again tho.
    rgds
    d

oops, hi josh

i tried admin@, which is next to the offers.
    info@ is the mail in the form on your site.
    i made up suport@, to inquire, and i guess i also set a cc to sales@.
    never mind tho.
    ill msg you in a 'nit.

cheers
    d

Quote Originally Posted by doonee
    oops, hi josh

i tried admin@, which is next to the offers.
    info@ is the mail in the form on your site.
    i made up suport@, to inquire, and i guess i also set a cc to sales@.
    never mind tho.
    ill msg you in a 'nit.

cheers
    d
    I've replied to your PM. This seems to be a problem on Hotmail's end delivering the messages to your inbox or a junk mail filter on that side.